NRL Crackdown on Punching

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
ONE punch and you're off.The NRL has announced a strict zero tolerance policy to punching in the toughest crackdown on foul play in rugby league history.
State of Origin coaches Laurie Daley and Mal Meninga will be warned of the no-striking edict before Game II in Brisbane on June 26 and the crackdown will be enforced in all NRL matches from this weekend.
Any player caught punching an opponent will be automatically sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes, no matter what the circumstances. They could also face a judiciary charge.
The no-punch stance follows Blues skipper Paul Gallen's attack on Maroons forward Nate Myles in the opening State of Origin game on June 5.

NRL to show zero tolerance for footy violence | News.com.au

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Was only a matter of time.

I know some enjoy the drama it adds, I know I do, but the previous stance created too big of a moral grey area for it to resume.

Regardless of the new interpretation, Gallen should have been binned.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The NRL needs to start being proactive rather than reactive on these rule changes.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
How about we fix the obstruction rule first.

So if you get punched you can't defend yourself?!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
This policy was started because they were afraid of a Queensland square-up :tongue_smilie:

I expect this rule to be dropped first thing after origin 2

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Swinging arms to the face and head will of course be ok, especially if your name is Gallen

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Yeah, totally right. Had Gallen been sin binned none of this would be an issue.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Looks like you boys won't be getting payback. :biggrin:

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
All I can see this doing, is increasing the grubby stuff in tackles even more so than before.

So while it might help stop the stand up fights, it is just going to make more teams find wrestling chokes, chin straps etc to try and get a player binned to get the one man advantage.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • levikaden
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.