NRL "Digital Pass"

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Just wondering if anyone else will be getting one of these. The full season is $90 which is great value. It gets you every game live on your device, the only downside being that you can't on-stream it to your TV. I think it is locked to one device, but I do remember seeing a "Restore Purchase" that comes up when trying to access it on a device without a prescription, so perhaps you can put i your code and transfer it to that device, etc.

I had it last year and it was well worth it. I was contemplating getting it, but the tipping point was that we were camping for the Easter weekend, which just so happened to be the Storm vs Broncos game. We had access to power, but no TV. So I bit the bullet. Even on crappy Vodafone, it was able to stream on as little as one bar of reception, though it was compressed as hell. Two bars was certainly watchable. Three bars was crystal clear, same with our crappy ADSL 1 out in the sticks. Granted I'm only watching it on an ancient iPhone 3, so it's quite easy for the quality to look great when you're talking 640x480 pix (I think anyway), so I can't comment on how good it would be on a larger phone or a tablet.

For those that can't afford the price of pay TV like myself, and are content to watch it on a small screen, I would definitely recommend it.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
PS. If it can be transferred to another device, I'll try to watch it on my wife's iPad and post the results here.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
From memory it is tied to your account (I use iDevices, no idea about Androids) so it should work on your phone and tablet.

I'm sure I used both my phone and ipad to watch at various times last year.

Edit: I remember it looked good on the ipad. It can't make 9 broadcast in HD though :(

Last edited:
B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Hey Morks, yeah I had it last year and I found it to be well worth the $90. A few things, not every game is actually live though as I'm almost certain the delayed Sunday game on Nein is also delayed through the app which is pretty shitty, also I know that while Apple users can't stream to a TV or PC via the app those cooler people using Android will have a better chance of finding a solution (using DLNA or USB/WiFi).

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Hey Morks, yeah I had it last year and I found it to be well worth the $90. A few things, not every game is actually live though as I'm almost certain the delayed Sunday game on Nein is also delayed through the app which is pretty shitty, also I know that while Apple users can't stream to a TV or PC via the app those cooler people using Android will have a better chance of finding a solution (using DLNA or USB/WiFi).

Sorry, you're right, it streams it only as the primary network broadcasts it, so the Sunday arvo game is streamed at 4pm. IIRC it does allow you to pick either game when they are broadcast sumultaneously in different regions, eg, Friday & Saturday night games.

Last edited:
gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry, you're right, it streams it only as the primary network broadcasts it, so the Sunday arvo game is streamed at 4pm. IIRC it does allow you to pick either game when they are broadcast sumultaneously in different regions, eg, Friday & Saturday night games.

Not the Ch9 Friday night stuff. I got it specifically to watch the Broncs live on Fridays (I live in Canberra, and we get the NSW game live). I had to wait until 9 started the second game to watch it.

I don't recall what the go was with Saturday/Foxtel games.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Not the Ch9 Friday night stuff. I got it specifically to watch the Broncs live on Fridays (I live in Canberra, and we get the NSW game live). I had to wait until 9 started the second game to watch it.

10. Can we watch every game live using the NRL 2014 app?
Availability of live match videos in NRL 2014 is based on broadcaster times. This means that all Fox Sports matches are live and availability of Channel Nine matches is based on broadcaster times. Channel 9 games will be broadcast at the same time as the free to air signal in your territory and therefore may be delayed.Location services must also be turned on to determine the live match videos available to you at the time of broadcast.

Source: NRL Digital Pass - Frequently Asked Questions

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

I'm sure you could pick the game. Maybe it was only for the Saturday night game, because Fox gave you the same option??? I remember 100% that there were times where there were two current live games that you could choose from, but maybe I'm confused and it was only ever on a Saturday.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I'm sure you could pick the game. Maybe it was only for the Saturday night game, because Fox gave you the same option??? I remember 100% that there were times where there were two current live games that you could choose from, but maybe I'm confused and it was only ever on a Saturday.

Edit. There you go ^^^^^^^^^^^^

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Hey [MENTION=8328]gordjw[/MENTION] what sort of device do you own?

It might be possible to spoof the current location of your device and force it into giving you the live option for QLD, you should definitely look into it.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Hey [MENTION=8328]gordjw[/MENTION] what sort of device do you own?

It might be possible to spoof the current location of your device and force it into giving you the live option for QLD, you should definitely look into it.

I use an ipad at home, but I already have a VPN (setup at the router level) to pretend I'm an American. For... science. Yes.

Would be awesome if I could trick location services into thinking I'm in QLD though

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I signed up for the NRL subscription to watch the Nines Tourney.

$8.95 is great value compared with a Foxtel subscription ($74/month) especially when I literally only want it to watch the occasional Broncos game not on Channel 9.

Carving out the jewel in its pay TV crown must have hurt Murdoch.

I've got a Google Nexus 7 Tablet, and the quality/resolution was much lower than the Foxtel Go App. Still well watchable but no

Foxtel Go is free for I find most people with Foxtel, don't actually use Foxtel Go. If you have a friend with Foxtel, he is allowed two devices on Foxtel Go.

Or it's a great excuse to go to the pub (if you're childless).

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I use an ipad at home, but I already have a VPN (setup at the router level) to pretend I'm an American. For... science. Yes.

Would be awesome if I could trick location services into thinking I'm in QLD though

I wish I had the time and inclination to google how to do this.

Sweet sweet Netflix.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013

Pity you're not using Android, it would be a simple matter of enabling the Developer options, ticking 'Allow mock locations' and then downloading one of the many available Fake GPS apps direct from Google Play.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do the same thing on an iOS device, no doubt it's possible but you would need to Jail-Break your iPad. Perhaps you can play around with your VPN to set your location to Brisbane? For science of course :)

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I signed up for the NRL subscription to watch the Nines Tourney.

$8.95 is great value compared with a Foxtel subscription ($74/month) especially when I literally only want it to watch the occasional Broncos game not on Channel 9.

Carving out the jewel in its pay TV crown must have hurt Murdoch.

I've got a Google Nexus 7 Tablet, and the quality/resolution was much lower than the Foxtel Go App. Still well watchable but no

Foxtel Go is free for I find most people with Foxtel, don't actually use Foxtel Go. If you have a friend with Foxtel, he is allowed two devices on Foxtel Go.

Or it's a great excuse to go to the pub (if you're childless).

Even better - Foxtel Go can be used on three devices per subscriber now.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Pity you're not using Android, it would be a simple matter of enabling the Developer options, ticking 'Allow mock locations' and then downloading one of the many available Fake GPS apps direct from Google Play.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do the same thing on an iOS device, no doubt it's possible but you would need to Jail-Break your iPad. Perhaps you can play around with your VPN to set your location to Brisbane? For science of course :)

Yeah, unfortunately the VPN is hosted, so I'm stuck in the states. I'm sure there's one in QLD that I could use once a week. You're right about android being much simpler to do this with! :)

[MENTION=1950]subsbligh[/MENTION] It's not that hard, but it does take a bit of research. I use a roku box (ordered from USA), which is amazing, Netflix, Hulu and amazon prime apps (plus a million others), which all work nicely. You can install Plex as well for local files, so it's kind of an all in one. No airplay or usb support though.
The hardest part is actually paying for Hulu Plus, but if you just want Netflix they accept aussie cards as payment methods, so that's really easy.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Isn't there some sort of subscription available for people who are overseas to be able to watch live games? If your VPN is set to the US, you could probably sign up to that?

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
Looks as though you now require a NRL Digital Pass just to view the full match replays on NRL.com. That sucks. For those who subscribed through their Android or iOS app you can only view the replays direct from your device so it would seem that you are better off registering directly from NRL.com with a Telstra account, not through your device via a subscription.

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • Seibs
  • Skyblues87
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • lynx000
  • Bucking Beads
  • Robboi_321
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.