NRL "Digital Pass"

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I actually just tried the NRL Digital Pass app the other day, thinking that on my Lumia 1520 it would be a decent experience.
I was wrong. Really wrong. The quality is absolute shit, looks like a video made for a 1" screen then stretched out.

If the quality was at least decent, say 480P, then they would have my money till the end of the season, but it's awful. I hope it flops big time so they reconsider making a proper streaming service.

My Internet is 35Mbps too, which is enough to stream 2160P/4k.

I'm pretty sure they do have a streaming service for laptops.

I could be wrong, though.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The quality that I get is a lot better than that... Not sure what is going on for you?

Yeah granted I'm using a shit phone but even on my crap Internet it looks like it uses full res. I wonder if they only stream in a few resolutions. IIRC this sucker is 640x480 and looks crystal. If it was streamed to, say, something ~576p (?) and upsampled I would imagine it would look balls.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I've still got the trial so I'll try again this week, if it's still shit I'll try again next year. Maybe I just tried at a bad moment.

It's unmetered for us Telstra guys so I'll try on 4G and Wi-Fi next time around.

My phone is full HD, but when I watch 480P YouTube videos they look fine, the digital pass looks like 240P in comparison.

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I've still got the trial so I'll try again this week, if it's still shit I'll try again next year. Maybe I just tried at a bad moment.

It's unmetered for us Telstra guys so I'll try on 4G and Wi-Fi next time around.

My phone is full HD, but when I watch 480P YouTube videos they look fine, the digital pass looks like 240P in comparison.

Is it low resolution or just low quality? I know if someone is downloading and it interferes with the stream, the compression gets higher and you get the equivalent of Jpeg compression noise. But it never looks like it's merely an upsample of a lower resolution.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Is it low resolution or just low quality? I know if someone is downloading and it interferes with the stream, the compression gets higher and you get the equivalent of Jpeg compression noise. But it never looks like it's merely an upsample of a lower resolution.

It fills half my screen, and it looks crap. I'll take a screenshot next time, so you guys can tell me how it compares.

Unread

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Seibs
  • Skyblues87
  • TimWhatley
  • Robboi_321
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.