Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
FWIW:

Knights players on receiving end of abusive texts from Nathan Tinkler

Knights players on receiving end of abusive texts from Nathan Tinkler’s phone

NEWCASTLE Knights players have been receiving abusive text messages from tyrannical owner Nathan Tinkler’s phone.

Only days away from being forced to hand back Newcastle’s NRL licence after a spectacular collapse as club owner, The Daily Telegraph can reveal some players have been receiving the out-of-line text messages for most of this season.

Currently one of rugby league’s most-loathed individuals, Tinkler’s reputation is poised to take a further hammering amid revelations the one-time billionaire’s phone was used to brand players “soft” and claim the club has “no heart”.

The Daily Telegraph has been told out-of-form fullback Darius Boyd has been one player who has come under fire in the text messages, including one message which insinuated the Queensland and Australian representative could be traded prior to the NRL’s June 30 transfer window.

Another player who has regularly received text messages being critical of the club and other teammates is star five-eighth Jarrod Mullen, with other senior players also believed to have been on the receiving end.

The messages were being sent as early as round two this season, with the Knights losing their opening three games of the year to Penrith, Canberra and Melbourne. The Daily Telegraph has been told the texts continued until recently.

The failed Knights owner promised to turn Newcastle into an NRL superpower when he privatised the traditionally blue-collar club in 2011.

But the Newcastle community’s patience for the tycoon’s litany of excuses about late payments to players and staff has finally run out, with the NRL poised to end the ownership feud early next week.

Contacted about the text messages, Tinkler’s right-hand man from Hunter Sports Group, Troy Palmer, said via text message: “I assume you have evidence of this as this is a serious allegation and will take whatever action available.

Nathan Tinkler arrives ICAC. Photo Jeremy Piper

Nathan Tinkler arrives ICAC. Photo Jeremy Piper Source: News Corp Australia

“Nathan has always had an excellent relationship with players. They love him. You obviously haven’t heard about how he visited Alex (McKinnon) last week a day before his ICAC hearing and helped Alex with the first movement of his legs.”

The ironic element of the messages to Boyd is the fact the Newcastle fullback is owed a $200,000 third-party payment and is fuming about the way he’s been treated.

Boyd has a get-out clause in his contract if supercoach Wayne Bennett is no longer the Newcastle coach, which appears an increasingly likely scenario given the seven-time premiership-winner’s contract is with Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group.

20 Newcastle Knights staff and players yet to be paid 0:31

Up to 20 Newcastle Knights staff and players have gone unpaid as uncertainty over the ownership of the club remains.

The Knights ownership dispute is expected to finally be brought to a head early next week, with the NRL head of club services Tony Crawford in continued negotiations with Tinkler, HSG and the Knights Members Club.

The Knights Members Club have been attempting to exercise their right to buy the club back for $1 for the past month, with the terms of the privatisation contract stipulating it must come debt-free.

A crucial element of the handover to the Members Club is also the $10.52 million Westpac bank guarantee.

Given the way Tinkler has chosen to do business at the Knights, there are fears the club’s level of debt could greater than previously thought.

This is most likely what the NRL has been attempting to resolve for the past eight weeks, when all parties involved have been gagged from speaking publicly.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Nice work mate

Abusing the guys who are doing everything they can to get Newcastle to the top isn't going to do you or your employees any good.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
All makes sense why Boyd's form has nosedived. **** that for a boss.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
If you think our club has administrative deficiencies, try the Bulldogs. They decide to run a fan day, and celebrate 10 years since their 2004 premiers. Advertise ex players etc but ... forget to invite the captain.

This prompted Steve Price to tweet:
@NRL_Bulldogs Disappointed we didn't get an invite to attend the Fan day to celebrate 10 years 2004 Premiership Team.

They try to make amends by replying (bear in mind he lives in NZ):
@StevePrice Are you sure Pricey? C'mon on down if you're free, going to be a great day

Last edited:
Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
If you think our club has administrative deficiencies, try the Bulldogs. They decide to run a fan day, and celebrate 10 years since their 2004 premiers. Advertise ex players etc but ... forget to invite the captain.

Wow. How could you forget Price?!?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Wish Greenburg was still with them. He would have found a way to sweet-talk the media and the fans in to believing that he saved Price for a ruthless undercurrent of ex-fans who blame him purely for the 2002 salary cap scandal. Oh Greenburg, you're our savior!

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

I can sympathise with clubs being upset about losing local juniors, especially when it's to a club that has no forward vision and is throwing stupid money just to get a signing on the books, but it works both ways. Did they not sign Blair, from another club, and secure him by paying massive overs?

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
Not really, since the NRL refused to bring in concessions for juniors they've made it clear development isn't a priority so why should some clubs continue to waste a fortune when can just save the money and buy players.

The NRLs stance on development is very short sighted and unless they pull their head out their arse clubs will start reducing expenditure and follow the Roosters lead.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Haha they have lost very few players worth whinging about too. Off the top of my head Ben Te'o, Beau Ryan, Andrew Fifita and Bryce Gibbs. Their premiership was won with players like Prince, Whatuira, Brett Hodgson, Shane Elford, Pat Richards and Todd Payten whom they bought from other clubs. They lost one good junior and shit hits the fan. It's ridiculous.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Beau Ryan

Nah, they poached Beau from St. George Illawarra. He grew up playing with the likes of Dan Hunt which is why Hunt would appear in a few of his Beau Knows clips.

I think everybody feels a bit sorry for the Tigers, even Raiders fans but the reality is that players are more likely to jump at these ridiculous figures as they can otherwise they may end up being another Jharal Yow Yeh, Alex McKinnon or Simon Dwyer. I think the average NRL career is something like 3 years, so if you get a huge offer like the one the Raiders are penning Tedesco, you really can't blow it off.

I hope more is done to entice players to stick with their clubs. I don't think the salary cap should be there just to artificially even out the competition, I think it should be done to prevent the top clubs from just going out and buying the Australian team.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
That's why we need significant concessions for players who debuted at the club, as well as long serving players.

Encourage/reward loyalty by manipulating the market rules, which is just a reality you have to deal with in this day and age. You'll help clubs retain their juniors and icons, build brand identity and give the fans some stability!

The suggestions above aren't even new, they were taken out with the introduction of the salary cap all those years ago.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Jamal Idris stood down at Penrith. Not reported to be disciplinary but personal.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Jamal Idris stood down at Penrith. Not reported to be disciplinary but personal.
Apparently got on the sauce over the bye weekend against club policy.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Apparently got on the sauce over the bye weekend against club policy.

That's what I heard, I think there's more to it though, why would a club not allow the players a few drinks on a bye weekend? It's a funny game, I wonder if any other industry could get away with it, but he's still getting paid anyway. I wish my work would stand me down with pay.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
The Mole reported a player went on a massive bender over the weekend. Probably is Idris given the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • thenry
  • Harry Sack
  • Maroon4life
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Strop
  • Horseheadsup
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.