NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
22 all draw between Wigan and Widnes.

Wow, what a way to open the season. At 16-0 down, 12 players on the field and no Kevin Brown for the rest of the match, the Warriors would run away with it but the Vikings managed to hold in there. A really good showing from them and I thought all their players could hold their heads up with Mellor and Heremaia being particular stand outs.

Warriors are a classy team, but they showed up with the wrong attitude in this one. Their forwards really struggled to gain any ascendency and they were lucky to score the points they did given some of the calls they received. Not their best evening and if I'm coach Wane, I'm doing my best to wake them up nice and early from this performance.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Exactly why is the Charity Shield a trial and televised?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Not sure.

It became an annual fixture on television in 2006 and must draw enough ratings to justify it's slot.

But why Dragons/Rabbitohs?

I imagine it's because it's the only trial played at Olympic Park, usually draws a good crowd and has a sense of tradition.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Not sure.

It became an annual fixture on television in 2006 and must draw enough ratings to justify it's slot.

But why Dragons/Rabbitohs?

I imagine it's because it's the only trial played at Olympic Park, usually draws a good crowd and has a sense of tradition.

If I remember correctly, it's played between those two clubs because the Charity Shield was designed to raise money for St George and South Sydney Hospital.

The way the two teams played the game made it popular and now it's a regular pre-season fixture..

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Only ten minutes into the first game of the year, but the tackles look exactly the same to me. Still three players in, lying in the play the ball and waiting for a ref to say something before even attempting to move.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Jorge Taufua injured and out for two months.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Another devious plot by horseshit.....

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
tumblr_mw1ssfBtOA1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
From what I saw, the injury occurred as a result of the tackle and not from the dime a dozen fore-arm that occurred afterwards.

Gallen doesn't deserve to be singled out for any of that.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
There wasn't much in that elbow. It made contact with the top of the head, but it was minimal.

The tackle would have been what caused the damage..

It was a solid tackle from a bloke much bigger than him and it did appear his body was twisted a bit.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Fair enough. The article mentioned something about his neck and I thought having a guy gallens size land an elbow on your neck when your defenceless would have the possibility of causing that sort of injury.

FWIW I wasn't just trying to have an unecessary go at Gallen, I genuinely thought he had illegally contributed to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • Fozz
  • Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncoFan94
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • RolledOates
  • BroncosAlways
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.