NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
It will be a great day if Foran signs with the Eels.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
How will it be a great day?

Manly will lose one of their best players and there is no way Norman will remain 5/8 with Foran at the club.

Norman left the Broncos to play in the halves, now it looks like he will be playing at fullback. It will be bloody hilarious.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
How will it be a great day?

Manly will lose one of their best players and there is no way Norman will remain 5/8 with Foran at the club.

Norman left the Broncos to play in the halves, now it looks like he will be playing at fullback. It will be bloody hilarious.

Exactly what SF said.

Norman would actually be lucky to get FB as you would think there would be decent competition from Hopoate

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
RIP, such a tragic waste of life, much more important then football.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Anyone know how it happened?

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
With the lack of detail about the deaths, I'd be thinking suicide unfortunately. Plus the beyond blue link at the bottom.

R.I.P

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
With the lack of detail about the deaths, I'd be thinking suicide unfortunately. Plus the beyond blue link at the bottom.

R.I.P
Yeah, that's why I asked...

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-of-gang-tackles/story-fniabm4i-1227199962732

NRL clubs are drilling two-on-one and one-on-one tackles endlessly as they adjust to a new style of rugby league for 2015 which will hopefully usher wrestling out of the game.
The Brisbane Broncos welcomed senior NRL referee Ben Cummins to training this week to coach them on how the controversial new ruck interpretations will officiated.
Cummins refereed a high intensity opposed session and the result of the new interpretations was a dramatic increase in two on one tackling.

Some Broncos players found it hard to adapt and were repeatedly penalised.
The new ruck interpretation, which southern NRL coaches have threatened a coaching conference boycott over, means all defenders must peel off the attacker immediately once the referee calls held.
Tactics of swarming the attacker with three and four defenders, holding him up, then individually peeling off will be penalised immediately.
There is a theory the interpretation change will mean dummy halves will catch the third and fourth defender of a gang tackle off-side as they won’t have time to retreat.
This tactic will see a greater emphasis on two on one tackling.
Gang tackling has led to the longest play the balls in NRL history and allowed defence to dominate attack in recent seasons.

Tries have decreased from an average of 8.4 per game in 2004 to 7.3 last season.
At Broncos training, Cummins still rewarded good contact and the play the ball speeds were not at Super League rates.
However, an opening month penalty-athon is inevitable as players adapt.
Broncos Nines captain Andrew McCullough was among those caught hanging around too long in the ruck.
“I got pinged a couple of times. We need to all get off the player at the same time and get our hands off the ball,” he told The Courier-Mail.
“However, if you dominate the tackle you take all that out of it.
McCullough said until the trials were finished he would not know how the new interpretation really affected the game.
“It is hard to say at the moment. I will need a few trials to get an understanding,” he said.
“We will need to get the gist of it first.”
McCullough makes his Broncos captaincy debut this weekend and will help launch the NRL Nines tonight in Auckland.
It is a deserved honour for the hooker who alongside Corey Parker has been the club’s most consistent player since the first Wayne Bennett era ended in 2008.
The Broncos take an inexperienced but dangerous team to the Nines and have the athletic ability to shock their rivals.
“With the Nines, you never know, but hanging onto the ball is massive because repeating tackles makes life very hard and you get gassed quickly,” McCullough said.

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
ericgrothejnr17 minutes ago
Big thanks to @theparraeels (Steve Sharp and his board) for cancelling my dads Parra Eels membership. What a great way to treat a 'mate'... and all purely for political gain. Despite being repeatedly put down by you all, dad surprisingly only had nice things to say about you. What a fantastic legacy you're leaving. Congratulations, Sharpy and co... I hope the votes you gain overshadow that burning feeling you should have for selling your souls for extra votes. Another fantastic life decision.
What was most damning was emails that went out twice to 15,000 members making out that dad is a criminal. It's a witch hunt that's orchestrated by the current regime for political gain only. Adios to the club we spent a big chunk of our lives playing for and being around. I realise this sounds bitter. That's because it is. A good man has had his life membership canceled.
Sorry to all the ex and current players, staff and supporters who want the current 'board' gone. Good luck to the players and coaching staff. Big year.
Dont know the story behind why this happened but doesn't sound good for a club that has a knack for being a basket case in the front office.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I know the last time I tried to start a discussion about the ESL it went over like a wet fart in church but for those who are hankering for some Rugby League action at 5am on FoxSports 1 the Wigan Warriors face off against the Widnes Vikings in their season opener.

As a fan of the sport, I find it difficult keeping up with the NRL, let alone the ESL but since we're set to play Wigan I may try and get up early and get a feel of what they're like as a team. Last time I watched them, they essentially had to play with 12 for the majority in a really dire GF against St Helens so hopefully they make a better account of themselves.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I know the last time I tried to start a discussion about the ESL it went over like a wet fart in church but for those who are hankering for some Rugby League action at 5am on FoxSports 1 the Wigan Warriors face off against the Widnes Vikings in their season opener.

As a fan of the sport, I find it difficult keeping up with the NRL, let alone the ESL but since we're set to play Wigan I may try and get up early and get a feel of what they're like as a team. Last time I watched them, they essentially had to play with 12 for the majority in a really dire GF against St Helens so hopefully they make a better account of themselves.

No ability to record Pete?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Unfortunately not.

Can't get IQ out here and the only TV Turner models that record Foxtel cost upwards of $300-400. Considering the amount of hard-drives I'd be going through, it'd just become a huge money sink.

They should have replays of it, but considering I'll likely be awake around that time, one way or another, I'll give it a watch.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
ESL and too many pommies... I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Bucking Beads
  • Shane Tronc
  • Harry Sack
  • Robboi_321
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • Santa
  • Jazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.