NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Potters contract hasn't been renewed. Hook now the favourite to coach the Tigers.

So do the Tiggers actually believe griffindor is a better coach, or is it just because Farah bitched about him?

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
NRL transfer centre: Your guide to player movement ahead of the 2015 season
  • by:
  • September 24, 2014 5:22PM
  • KNIGHTS:
    Tariq Sims (Cowboys) is the star signing. But to buy him, the Knights have cut the likes of Adam Cuthbertson (Leeds Rhinos) and Willie Mason (future undecided). Joey Leilua (2016), Jarrod Mullen (2018) and Tyrone Roberts (2016) are big re-signings, while Carlos Tuimavave (Warriors) adds backline depth.
    Ins: Tariq Sims (Cowboys), Carlos Tuimavave (Warriors), James Taylor (mid-season - Warriors)
    Outs: Adam Cuthbertson (Leeds Rhinos), Michael Dobson (Salford Red Devils), Matt Hilder (retired), Josh Mantellato (Hull Kingston Rovers)
    New contracts: Joey Leilua (2016), Alex McKinnon (2016), Jarrod Mullen (2018), Tyrone Roberts (2016)

See Bold. How big is the rock this fuckwit has been living under? Arggh news limited you've done it again.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
NRL transfer centre: Your guide to player movement ahead of the 2015 season
  • by:
  • September 24, 2014 5:22PM
  • KNIGHTS:
    Tariq Sims (Cowboys) is the star signing. But to buy him, the Knights have cut the likes of Adam Cuthbertson (Leeds Rhinos) and Willie Mason (future undecided). Joey Leilua (2016), Jarrod Mullen (2018) and Tyrone Roberts (2016) are big re-signings, while Carlos Tuimavave (Warriors) adds backline depth.
    Ins: Tariq Sims (Cowboys), Carlos Tuimavave (Warriors), James Taylor (mid-season - Warriors)
    Outs: Adam Cuthbertson (Leeds Rhinos), Michael Dobson (Salford Red Devils), Matt Hilder (retired), Josh Mantellato (Hull Kingston Rovers)
    New contracts: Joey Leilua (2016), Alex McKinnon (2016), Jarrod Mullen (2018), Tyrone Roberts (2016)

See Bold. How big is the rock this fuckwit has been living under? Arggh news limited you've done it again.

They did give him a new contract because he was about to re-sign just after he got injured.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
They did give him a new contract because he was about to re-sign just after he got injured.

Fair enough, But imagine the poor bastard reading that. he should be listed in the losses.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Fair enough, But imagine the poor bastard reading that. he should be listed in the losses.

Why? I'd want to still feel part of the team. It would be worse if he read it and he was in the losses!!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
NRL Stats.com uploaded their stats for the 1989 GF which is largely considered one of the greatest Rugby League games of all time.

http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match33657.html

Some interesting stats really stood out to me about that game.

Namely two team stats.

Completions - Balmain 57% - wow that's terrible especially on GF day.

Missed Tackles - Balmain 73 - Our defence has been poor but I never recall us ever missing so many tackles!

Then you look at some of the individual stats and see Wayne Pearce with a very handy work-rate of 23 hit ups, 30 tackles but then 5 errors.

Then you see Brad Clyde and his Clive Churchill winning performance. 31 hit ups, 12 tackle breaks, 2 line breaks, 3 offloads, 34 tackles etc. no wonder he's still considered one of the best backrows to have ever played the sport.

I always find looking at these old stats fascinating because it really does highlight how different the game is and the care-free way the players used to play.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The NRL says 'iced fluid products' used by South Sydney players contain no prohibited substances and have cleared them for use.

A report on Monday, ahead of Souths' grand final clash with Canterbury on Sunday, said one of the secrets of the Rabbitohs success this year had been "blood-energising chips and ice fluid treatment" that has been banned by the NFL in America.

However in a statement released late on Monday, the game's governing body said the use of the treatment that is said to allow athletes to keep cooler for longer and keep energy levels higher for longer was cleared for use in the NRL.

According to the report, Souths players have been hiding the chips in strapping and their playing clothing since the start of the NRL season.

"The NRL said today it does not propose taking any action in relation to the use of iced fluid products used by the South Sydney Rabbitohs," the NRL said in a statement.

"The South Sydney Rabbitohs club had provided assurances that the club doctor had carefully assessed the products and was satisfied that they contain no prohibited substances and were not harmful to players.

"As a result, no further action was planned on the matter."

NRL approves Souths' controversial science program

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If it keeps them cool for longer and keeps their energy levels higher for longer, how could it not be classed as performance enhancing?

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Blood energising chips? The NRL must've been giggling when they read that. This sounds like those useless power bands from awhile back. Pseudo science.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I guess it's the same way as drinking water during the game is "performance enhancing". Would be interesting to find out why the NFL banned it.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Blood energising chips? The NRL must've been giggling when they read that. This sounds like those useless power bands from awhile back. Pseudo science.

Peter Brock's Polariser.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If it keeps them cool for longer and keeps their energy levels higher for longer, how could it not be classed as performance enhancing?

In that case, every player takes performance enhancing things.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
I can't find anything that says this was actually banned by the NFL. Ray Lewis was involved in a PED controversy due to a company called SWATS that sold deer antler spray and these performance chips but nothing about the chips actually being used.

I'm willing to bet that is a whole lot of nonsense as it's just like the Powerband nonsense.

PS, guess who is behind the Boxa brand name? The Mundine family.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Actually I'm wrong, it's not just like the Powerband nonsense. It is the power band nonsense again, they're both "holographic performance chips". :rofl:

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Actually I'm wrong, it's not just like the Powerband nonsense. It is the power band nonsense again, they're both "holographic performance chips". :rofl:

Yeah, I'm willing to bet the ice shit is what's doing all the work. That one actually makes sense. How long before players get artificial veins with coolant running through them and thermo fans strapped to their backs. Or bionic muscles. Or fricken lasers?
post-24864-dalai-lama-with-lasers-gif-Cu5s.gif

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
One of the main reasons I decided to post up my 2015 squads this early was to see how they aged. I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the selections Big League had in their Season Preview.
Without going through all the ins and outs on each side since they nailed a lot of them, I thought I'd just point out the highlights.

Broncos - Strasser at half was the big stand-out. That's one of those opinions that could have only existed this pre-season since there was so much confusion surrounding the position. I reckon that'll make a good trivia question down the road. No Copley, Vidot or Oates are the only real surprises here.

Raiders - Cornish at half, McCrone at hooker like it should have been. Ikin also rated them higher than the Broncos.

Titans - Big things were expected of Ryan James. I honestly keep forgetting about him, if he was smart he'd head to Manly or Melbourne pronto.

Cowboys - Still have Coote named at fullback & Taumalolo is just slumming it on the bench for Reithmuller.

Eels - Jackpot! Hunt > Radradra. Lee Mossop hype, and a backrow consisting of Smith, Allgood, Lussick with Harrison coming off the bench. The Eels backrow was a real mystery, personally Tanginoa was my tip for the backrow.

Souths - The backline was terrible 2. Merrit 3. Champion 4. Goodwin 5. Walker. Really goes to show all the work Maguire went through to change the side.

Big League teams are pretty safe and boring. It was sort of like they made an effort to fit as many recognisable names as possible. Might go through my old scrap-book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
  • Lostboy
  • Ondi
  • Galah
  • FACTHUNT
  • Justwin
  • Cavalo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • kiwibronco
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.