NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Pretty sure it will be the Reds. I've heard the deal is done and they're just waiting to announce it.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
He will most likely join the Reds so personally it will be good to cheer for him again (I'm a reds season holder). It's good for the ARU marketing wise but I would like to see Australian Rugby focus hard on development of players and build the game up from grassroots down which will bring Australian rugby closer to South Africa and New Zealand.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
10610558_848468085165984_4808093172803533438_n.jpg

Found this image interesting, team lists for the first U20 Grand Final, 6 years ago.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
10610558_848468085165984_4808093172803533438_n.jpg

Found this image interesting, team lists for the first U20 Grand Final, 6 years ago.
i was just looking at this a couple of days ago. Brendon Gibb in the centres?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I honestly think that the NRL, and by extension the refs, are deliberately influencing games in order to make the contests artificially tighter. This is what a spokesperson said about the lack of video ref used on the game-defining try, and subsequently the timekeeper not stopping the clock, and remember, this is after the Sea Eagles scored 3 tries in the dying minutes after being behind all game:

"Incredibly, the NRL responded last night with a spokesman saying that the issue would be reviewed today but: “We should not let it detract from a great game of football.”

It's like they seriously don't give a shit if the better team wins, and are rewarded for their efforts, so long as there's theatre.

Clock ticking on game to ensure referee controversies don?t overshadow finals

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I honestly think that the NRL, and by extension the refs, are deliberately influencing games in order to make the contests artificially tighter. This is what a spokesperson said about the lack of video ref used on the game-defining try, and subsequently the timekeeper not stopping the clock, and remember, this is after the Sea Eagles scored 3 tries in the dying minutes after being behind all game:

"Incredibly, the NRL responded last night with a spokesman saying that the issue would be reviewed today but: “We should not let it detract from a great game of football.”

It's like they seriously don't give a shit if the better team wins, and are rewarded for their efforts, so long as there's theatre.

Clock ticking on game to ensure referee controversies don?t overshadow finals
It's definitely starting to look like it, isn't it?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I had a pretty out there idea for how the point system could work. Its hugely complicated and I'm sure is full of flaws but it makes an interesting hypothetical.

Instead of the standard 2 pts for a win 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss, how about the amount of points you get depend on where teams stand on the ladder.

The points a team gets per victory depends on where their opponent is currently placed on the ladder, a loss however would result in minus points determined in a similar fashion.

Beating a team ranked first one the ladder would give you 16 points, beating a team coming 16th would give you 1 points, and etc through the positions, and the minuses for a defeat would work in the opposite order.

So for example, our match (broncos are 8th) on friday against the 5th place storm:

If we win the Broncos would receive 12 points, while the Storm would lose 8.
If we lose the Broncos would lose 5 points, and the storm would gain 9 points.

Another example would be Cowboys (7th) vs Sharks (16th):

If cowboys win they would only be awarded 1 point, while the sharks would get minus 10.
If the sharks win the would be awarded 10 points, and the cowboys would lose 16 points.

The logic behind this system would be to punish favourites for losing against struggling poor quality clubs while rewarding underdogs for pulling off an upset. The advantage of this system would be to create some kind of correlation between the quality of a team versus what beating or losing to them is worth to your season.

Each season the ladder would start with how it finished the previous season except the grand final winners would be moved to the top.

Anyway, I just thought this would be an interesting point for discussion.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
The logic behind this system would be to punish favourites for losing against struggling poor quality clubs while rewarding underdogs for pulling off an upset. The advantage of this system would be to create some kind of correlation between the quality of a team versus what beating or losing to them is worth to your season.

Each season the ladder would start with how it finished the previous season except the grand final winners would be moved to the top.

With the closeness of the current competition, there is already punishment enough for favourites losing to lower placed clubs. the Broncos losing to the Sharks a few weeks back is a perfect example.

You have an interesting theory and i guess would be interesting to see what the ladder would have looked like if someone was willing to do the maths, but i think there are many reasons as to why no reputable league in any sport across the globe adopts it..

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I had a pretty out there idea for how the point system could work. Its hugely complicated and I'm sure is full of flaws but it makes an interesting hypothetical.

Instead of the standard 2 pts for a win 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss, how about the amount of points you get depend on where teams stand on the ladder.

The points a team gets per victory depends on where their opponent is currently placed on the ladder, a loss however would result in minus points determined in a similar fashion.

Beating a team ranked first one the ladder would give you 16 points, beating a team coming 16th would give you 1 points, and etc through the positions, and the minuses for a defeat would work in the opposite order.

So for example, our match (broncos are 8th) on friday against the 5th place storm:

If we win the Broncos would receive 12 points, while the Storm would lose 8.
If we lose the Broncos would lose 5 points, and the storm would gain 9 points.

Another example would be Cowboys (7th) vs Sharks (16th):

If cowboys win they would only be awarded 1 point, while the sharks would get minus 10.
If the sharks win the would be awarded 10 points, and the cowboys would lose 16 points.

Then the Panthers would be on like 20 points this year :P

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
The NRL is going to play the channel 9 4pm game live instead of delaying it and jamming it with ads. Haven't liked Dave Smith a lot but he is right on this one and this is a good move.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Wow that's a great decision and long overdue, I haven't watched Sunday games very much because of the shit ads, any link Bman?

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
It's a good move, although I would have preferred 9 move to 3pm live.

But i suppose this way there's no overlap on the games, and at least there's fewer ads. I wonder what 9 will have to say about it.

Slight tangent: is it my memory, or did we previously have 4 games on a Sunday arvo? Talking in the early-mid 90s here.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Awesome thanks Dex. Bring on HD for all games next and I'll be happy.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Potters contract hasn't been renewed. Hook now the favourite to coach the Tigers.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Just received the 1992-93 Rugby League Yearbook I ordered off ebay.

Only had a quick flick through since time is tight and I've been spending way too much time covering all the news from today but it's a lot more detailed than his other paperback editions which I believe started here and ended in 2003.

Can't wait to sit down and read through the Broncos season. One of these days I'll have to share all the Broncos related stories from each season and just keep it archived somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• davidp
  • Swordfish
  • Battler
  • Manofoneway
  • Big Del
  • Maddy
  • Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • thenry
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Behold
  • Fozz
  • Matheos
  • Broncorob
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.