NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
that may be true ... but was it really worse (and worth a longer suspension) than Reynolds last week

IMO: Reynolds was worse.

But one player must gobble the judiciary & one doesn't. Not saying who the gobbler is. :tape:

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Braith Anasta has called it quits

Played on to long but he was awesome back in the day for the Bulldogs, one of the star players in a team that won 17 straight games, the 2004 premiership and competed for the premiership in his time there beside 2005. Will never forget his field goal in the 2010 Roosters V Tigers QF.

Bit of a shame these guys who've been around for so long are retiring, they've just always been around in my years of watching Rugby League.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I know it's wrong, but 2:50 in was a great moment of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
If the silly bugger didn't slip over, it would've been a legit good hit.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
**** I miss seeing Darren Lockyer in a Broncos jersey.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I heard an interesting stat on the radio this afternoon. One of the bookies said that Penrith have played the top eight teams only six times so far this year and have won just two. This hardly makes for an even comp.

Yet they whinge about Broncos getting a "huge" advantage from consistent seven day turnarounds by playing every Friday night.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Braith Anasta's retiring ay?

Good luck to him.

14 seasons in the top grade is a fair effort and there were certainly some highs but to me, he's always going to be one of those players that made a strong first impression, received a lot of representative jerseys because of how well he held himself and in the end he ended up being nothing more than a decent club player.

He had some career highlights - the 2004 premiership, the 2005 Origin series but I don't think he ever strung together enough consistent performances to truly challenge for the upper echelon in the game.

Seems like a top bloke though. He won me over when he came out and defended Hunt for the shoulder charge. On a night where emotions were high and there were calls to ban Karmichael for 18 weeks, Anasta showed tremendous character.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I heard an interesting stat on the radio this afternoon. One of the bookies said that Penrith have played the top eight teams only six times so far this year and have won just two. This hardly makes for an even comp.

Yet they whinge about Broncos getting a "huge" advantage from consistent seven day turnarounds by playing every Friday night.
Spot on! With the Panthers calendar, we'd probably be in contention for a top 4 spot as well.
They have a solid team, but that's it... and they will be found out as pretenders in the finals imo.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The draw has definitely flattered them.

I remember the Dragons of 2008 having a similar bout of good luck. They seemingly drew all their tough games around the Origin season so other teams would lose their entire spine and have to blood all these rookies meanwhile the only players they had to hand over were Le Gaz and Coops who were pretty easily covered by Scott & J. Morris. It took them from an also-ran into a Top 8 side before they were quickly dispatched in the finals.

However to Penrith's credit I think they're playing quality football too. They have plenty of shape in attack, have a couple of key players who can create opportunities and they're setting up a good platform for Soward to work off of. Despite what people said, Sowie was one of the best halves in the competition at one time for the reason and he'd have to be right up there as the buy of the season.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

I would have to assume that those teams weren't Top 8 "at the time". Like they played the Storm or Roosters earlier in the year when they weren't performing their best and were out of the 8 at that point in time. Yes, it is somewhat of an advantage, but nothing but pure luck.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Paul McGregor will be the Dragons coach for the next 3 years.

Personally, I wouldn't have signed him up for 3 years, more like 1. However, he has done well at the Dragons so far so it could work out.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Two years would have been the sweet spot.

Enough to give him the confidence to make necessary changes and grant an early release if he's stuffing the club up.

3 is too many. He'll be gone mid-2016.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Rarely do I wish Manly well but I hope they win by fifty tonight. Started well and look up for it..

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Two years would have been the sweet spot.

Enough to give him the confidence to make necessary changes and grant an early release if he's stuffing the club up.

3 is too many. He'll be gone mid-2016.

apparently the hold up in announcing him as coach was the Dragons only wanted to give him a 2 year contract, but Mary wanted 3

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
He has shown he at least understands some areas of the game, at least in keeping Josh "Hoffman" Dugan out of fullback, and developing him as a centre.

Dragons really have a shit roster though.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Karmichael Hunt has confirmed he will be continuing his sporting career away from the AFL in 2015, I guess that leaves the Queensland Reds or NRL..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Scdeac
  • Culhwch
  • Big Del
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • levikaden
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.