NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing rumours that the Nines won't feature in the 2018 pre-season and is gone for good.

Anyone else heard the same? I thought 2018 was going to be the final year.

said on the radio that the nines and all-stars won't feature in 2018 due to the world cup at the end of the year (to avoid player burnout) ... but both would be back in 2019

said on the radio that the nines and all-stars won't feature in 2018 due to the world cup at the end of the year (to avoid player burnout) ... but both would be back in 2019

I was under the impression that it was still happening in 2018 and that it was the final year of the deal and that they weren't sure if it was going to continue after that. That's what I read anyway when they were talking about it at the start of the season.

But from what I'm hearing, it's not coming back at all.

I was under the impression that it was still happening in 2018 and that it was the final year of the deal and that they weren't sure if it was going to continue after that. That's what I read anyway when they were talking about it at the start of the season.

But from what I'm hearing, it's not coming back at all.

you may be right ... but here is the media release from the NRL:

-----------

The NRL, ATEED (Auckland Tourism, Events & Economic Development) and Duco Events today confirmed that the NRL Nines Tournament will be suspended next year to ease the workload of players following the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

NRL Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Abdo said the Nines had been one of the game’s success stories over the last four years and had a long term future on the Rugby League calendar.

But he said that with the Rugby League World Cup running until 2 December, it was not viable to ask elite players to back up for the Nines tournament in early 2018.

The same applies for the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game in the pre-season, which will also not be held in 2018 but will return in 2019.

Mr Abdo said there was every chance the NRL Nines would be held in Australia when it returns to the Rugby League calendar and the NRL would seek expressions of interest from cities interested in hosting the event.

He said that Auckland had been a fantastic host of the event and confirmed that there is a strong likelihood that the event will return to New Zealand in the future rotation.

The NRL and Duco Events acknowledged the important role that ATEED had played in the establishment and ongoing success of the event, along with major sponsor Downer and other event partners.

https://www.nrl.com/nrl-nines-tournament-suspended-for-2018/tabid/10874/newsid/109938/default.aspx

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/07/23/...iak-allegedly-attacked-at-junior-league-match

The NRL is set to investigate an incident in which Panthers star Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was allegedly attacked by a junior league official while helping out at a game on Saturday morning.
Watene-Zelezniak was acting as a touch judge in a match at Peppertree Park in Sydney’s west between St Clair and St Mary’s when the incident occurred.
The Kiwi international put his flag up to signify a St Mary’s player had stepped into touch, leading to a St Mary’s official allegedly abusing and confronting Watene-Zelezniak.
The altercation then turned physical, with the official putting his hands around the Panthers star’s neck and wrestling with him.
“It was very ugly and parents and officials had to take the kids across the field before a few people eventually broke it up,” an eyewitness told me.
“Officials eventually ejected the St Mary’s official from the oval.”
Watene-Zelezniak is one of the NRL’s good guys - a Mormon and model citizen.
Only hours after helping out at the junior league game, he played for the Panthers in their win over Gold Coast.
There is believed to be video of the incident which is set to be passed on to the NRL and Penrith junior league.

He gone

Rumours Trent Barrett will be confirmed as the Bulldogs coach for next year very soon

Hasler could be the first guy sacked the same season he signed a contract extension.

That was smart from the Bulldogs, now they have to pay him out his "new" contract value instead of nothing.

It will be interesting to see if Foran has a get out clause in his contract

How ironic it would be if he was sacked. He got a contract extension earlier on in the year for beating us and gets the sack later in the year for being thrashed by us

No doubt he does, but he'd be a moron to activate it with the way he's playing, he'd be lucky to find someone willing to pay him half of what that Dogs contract is worth.

Hasler could be the first guy sacked the same season he signed a contract extension.

That was smart from the Bulldogs, now they have to pay him out his "new" contract value instead of nothing.

Dogs have already confirmed there is no get out clauses in Forans contract

Boy what a fall from grace for Des. He'd be going the way of Tim Sheens you'd think in that he will be lucky to get a non-rep team gig any time soon. Also means the Dogs might actually improve again next season, what a shame.

I wonder if Dymock is still at the club. He did a pretty good job as interim coach after Moore quit mid-season.

Would they be going this bad if Graham was in the team and fully fit? I know that they weren't much better when he was there, but as a coach you live and die on so many things that are out of your control.

Would they be going this bad if Graham was in the team and fully fit? I know that they weren't much better when he was there, but as a coach you live and die on so many things that are out of your control.

I think so, he's a very good forward, but IMO it's their backs (Montoya excepted) and especially their gameplan that's letting them down. They're playing a similar style to us, minus the talent in the backline. I like to think of it as "Headless Chook Style".

We're getting by on bursts of talent from Milford, Roberts, Hunt and Oates, but the Dogs really don't have anyone of the same calibre. Hasler used 2012 Barba like we did 2015 Milford, and although he's long gone, Hasler apparently hasn't adapted the gameplace at all since then.

Former premier Peter Beattie accepts role as independent commissioner on ARL board.
Paul Malone, The Courier-Mailan hour ago

FORMER Queensland premier Peter Beattie has agreed to join the ARL Commission.

Beattie will become one of the independent commissioners on the proposed expanded board.

ARL chairman John Grant’s successor as chairman next year must come from the ranks of independent commissioners, rather than the commissioners who would represent the NRL clubs, QRL and NSWRL on the mooted make-up of the board to run rugby league in Australia.

Beattie’s claims would be strong to become ARL chairman, but he would have to overcome reticence from Sydney clubs to a second Queenslander becoming chairman, following on from Brisbane’s Grant.

Beattie’s role as chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games Organising Committee will demand much of his time until the Games are on in April. Grant’s term ends in February.

The second vacancy on the Commission goes to Professor Megan Davis, a constitutional lawyer who was a member of the Prime Minister’s expert panel on recognition of indigenous people in 2011.

In Beattie’s nine years as state premier from 1998-2007, his ties to rugby league were strong through the State Government’s determination to push through the 2003 redevelopment of Suncorp Stadium.

“I have a great love of rugby league and I am excited about the prospect of working with the Commission to make the game even greater,” Beattie said.

Grant said that with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, finalisation of the club funding and licence agreement, constitutional reform, and the NRL’s digital presence likely to all be completed by year end, the pair were joining the commission for the next stage of the game’s development.

“I have no doubt these appointments will give the Commission additional expertise and insight as it looks to capitalise on the foundations that have been put in place over the last six years,” Grant said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/c992af11ea9c2bce8b95a7887f7a4e81

Well that doesn't fill me with confidence ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • broncotville
  • Sproj
  • Skathen
  • Hurrijo
  • HarryAllan7
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • jarro65
  • Manifesto
  • Old Mate
  • whykickamoocow
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.