NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasler has reportedly banned all of his players from playing in the city-country game.

I think it would be hilarious if the NRL/NSWRL come out and ban any player who does not play in the city country game from playing origin (since they always claim it is a selection trial anyway) ... that would certainly hurt his retention and recruitment

Hasler has reportedly banned all of his players from playing in the city-country game.

I think it would be hilarious if the NRL/NSWRL come out and ban any player who does not play in the city country game from playing origin (since they always claim it is a selection trial anyway) ... that would certainly hurt his retention and recruitment

Nah just ban them from playing the following week in the NRL

Nah just ban them from playing the following week in the NRL

that is actually the rule if a fit player doesn't play origin ... maybe the should make it the rule for city country as well

It's a pointless game anyway, plus this is the final year. Good on Hasler, for once.

Nearly half way through the season and we have the same old transfer signing debacle.
I cannot understand why these "free agent" signings are not done in the off-season, just like in NFL, AFL etc?
It makes our great game look inept and unprofessional.
Is there any talk of this being changed?

No changes mooted ATM. I think the players don't want it at seasons end because it doesn't give much time for players with families to negotiate, potentially sell a house and shift, buy a new house and relocate wives and kids etc.

Also there won't be any outcry from the media because they all want 24 / 7 NRL content these days and it would be boring if all the shows / papers etc were just re hashing the same game anlysis over and again during the week.
They love the speculation that surrounds players changing clubs.

No changes mooted ATM. I think the players don't want it at seasons end because it doesn't give much time for players with families to negotiate, potentially sell a house and shift, buy a new house and relocate wives and kids etc.

Also there won't be any outcry from the media because they all want 24 / 7 NRL content these days and it would be boring if all the shows / papers etc were just re hashing the same game anlysis over and again during the week.
They love the speculation that surrounds players changing clubs.

Yep. Kent said this exactly a few weeks ago before all the Tigers stuff got sorted. Gives them something to write about given the lack of off field indiscretions by players.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...s-on-for-another-five-years-with-channel-nine

'Rabs' Warren Signs On For Another Five Years

Breaking.

Just Now
ray-warren-800.jpg

In breaking news, Ray 'Rabs' Warren, 'the voice of rugby league', has signed on for another five years. Read the full statement here.
Nine Official Statement

Wide World of Sports today announced a new five-year agreement with the voice of rugby league, Ray “Rabs” Warren.

This will see Warren staying with the Nine Network until the end of the current rugby league rights deal in 2022.

Announcing the agreement, Nine’s Director of Sport, Tom Malone, said: “Ray Warren is an icon of sports broadcasting. He has brought us some of the greatest moments in sport for more than 50 years, and his contribution to the profile of rugby league and swimming in Australia cannot be overstated.”

Ray will provide his inimitable voice for promos and production, and contribute content across WWOS mobile platforms including columns and podcasts.

“While Rabs is yet to decide for how long he will continue to commentate, this new deal is recognition of his special place at Channel Nine and Wide World of Sports,” Malone said. “At a network that invented the star system Rabs is one of our greatest, and sits alongside people like Ken Sutcliffe and Richie Benaud as someone who is synonymous with WWOS and Nine.”

Warren said: “This is a wonderful opportunity for me remain a part of Nine even though I am undecided about the calling aspect. It was always my dream to work for Nine. I called greyhounds for them back in the 70s and then came the swimming for a decade or more, but it was rugby league where they gave me a second chance to cover the sport I love so much.

“I have been part of that coverage since 1989 and they have been good to me. For them to want me to remain a part of WWOS for another five years is very humbling.”

In typical understated Rabs style the new contract was sealed over a sausage sanga this week.

I'm not sure 5 years was the right call..

But it's good to have him still. I like him as a caller and I just can't imagine anyone else calling Origin. It just wouldn't be the same.

He retains the option to give it up at any moment.

He might be older and less intelligible but he's still in another league to Hadley. With his terminology and lack of player knowledge he sounds like he's calling his first league game, ever, every single game.

He retains the option to give it up at any moment.

He might be older and less intelligible but he's still in another league to Hadley. With his terminology and lack of player knowledge he sounds like he's calling his first league game, ever, every single game.

He is definitely in another league to Hadley.

The thing I hate about Hadley the most and I remember mentioning this to you once, is the speed at which he calls games. He talks too fucking fast it's like he is calling a horse race. It makes editing more difficult because it's hard to find a gap in between the words.

That and those stupid sayings like 'base over apex'.

Plus he does have a pretty annoying voice.

I'll always be a fan of Rabs.

His voice is the best in the business. He mixes up sometimes, but I don't give a shit. If it wasn't for the other turds in the ch9 team, I'd watch every game on 9, but I can't stand the rest of them. Fox isn't great, but on the whole, they're a million miles ahead.

He is definitely in another league to Hadley.

The thing I hate about Hadley the most and I remember mentioning this to you once, is the speed at which he calls games. He talks too fucking fast it's like he is calling a horse race. It makes editing more difficult because it's hard to find a gap in between the words.

That and those stupid sayings like 'base over apex'.

Plus he does have a pretty annoying voice.

With you on all that. In fact I think he is a horse race caller too, like Rabs also calls the swimming. Hadley either can't call any other way, has never listened to himself, or none of his bosses have ever bothered to tell him that it's a different sport and needs to be called different.

And his lack of knowledge on the basics, and the way he calls games using phrasing from the 80's, makes me think that they're aiming the broadcast at an audience that are only casual observers. Which I guess is fair enough, as the die-hards normally have Fox, and FTA is the broadest of all audiences. But it still pisses me off that the so-called experts don't fucking understand what's going on, no wonder the rest of the media just runs with what these muppets dribble out, there's no one with any knowledge to correct them.

No way Rabs is lasting the 5 years. I love him but he has been noticeably worse the last couple of years. Are Fox high? Why the **** would you willingly sign Hadley? Good riddance!

Hadley just signed with Foxtel this week. Whoop! I'll never have to listen to him again on FTA - what a win!

Hadley was the very reason why I forked out the money for Foxtel Play..

Looks like I'm cancelling.

Hadley just signed with Foxtel this week. Whoop! I'll never have to listen to him again on FTA - what a win!

Please tell me you're joking.....

Good onya Rabs. One of the best callers. Always keeps the enthusiasm going. True icon.

I'm not sure 5 years was the right call..

But it's good to have him still. I like him as a caller and I just can't imagine anyone else calling Origin. It just wouldn't be the same.
Big Dazza Eastlake was just as good in the early days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Astro
  • Fitzy
  • whykickamoocow
  • bb_gun
  • jarro65
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • Ronald
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • mrslong
  • Rambstien
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  • Robboi_321
  • Jazza
  • Mick_Hancock
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.