NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter who the Bulldogs bring in, because there's two glaring issues that are going to lead to disaster no matter who is coach.

The first being Phil Gould. He's a very smart man, but his ego is an issue. Whoever they bring in, they need to be top dog when it comes to football matters. The coach needs to be the one making the calls, but Gould won't accept that. He has to be top dog. If he sees something he doesn't agree with, he will intervene and he'll just end up clashing with the coach. The candidates being thrown up, they won't accept having a head coach role where they are looking over their shoulder because of Gus.

The other being the club is run by members. Bulldogs fans are passionate, and that's part of the problem. If the club isn't successful straight away, they will lose patience and it will put pressure on the board to sack the coach because if they don't, the members will get rid of them and from what I'm hearing about that side of things, it's been an issue for quite some time.

They are screwed either way. It's going to be a very long road for the Bulldogs, and I can't see their fortunes changing unless those two issues are dealt with.

They have already received their first blow with Ciraldo saying he's not interested. He was one of the coaches at the top of their list.

I disagree, they're in good hands with Gus and even if he doesn't get them all the way he's going to help them in the long run. Some of the changes that have already been made will put them in good stead heading into 23 and as long as they can win the members over they'll be afforded the opportunity to set up systems for the long term future.

I disagree, they're in good hands with Gus and even if he doesn't get them all the way he's going to help them in the long run. Some of the changes that have already been made will put them in good stead heading into 23 and as long as they can win the members over they'll be afforded the opportunity to set up systems for the long term future.
You have to admit though...he'd be very intimidating for a new coach to deal with.

You have to admit though...he'd be very intimidating for a new coach to deal with.
Sure but the pros outweigh the cons.

I think what Gus has going for him is that he has a history of success with the club so he's got the confidence of the members and he clearly has connections all around the NRL. For a struggling club, just being able to lure marquee talent like Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau is a huge bonus. Also if his team at Penrith is any indication he can also use those connections to get unnecessary players off contract.

Very interesting comments from Anasta RE: Naden. Sounds more and more like he was pushed out for Kiraz.

One thing that would be in favour of the next coach is that Gus will select whoever it is.

It didn't seem like he was sold on Barrett and I believe he was already hired before Gus came on board, so he may have always had a target on his back.

I think Gus was probably keen on Ciraldo... he was very quick to indicate that they would be going with an interim and then looking at their options to start next year. If that was the plan then that rules out guys who are available right now (Green, Flanagan, etc.), because why would you be waiting for them to start next year... so if Barrett was pushed then he might've been looking to land the next big thing, but wouldn't be available until 2023... in the same way Sharks pushed Morris out last year.

However now that Ciraldo has turned the dogs down, I see Gus has said that dogs need an experienced coach to be able to turn the club around.

To me I think Flanagan would be a good coach for them. I think Flanagan has his limitations, but he had the sharks playing a tough grind it out style, which consistently competed with the storm. I do think his style requires a ball playing fullback to work though (he had them as serious premiership threats when Barba came to the club) and there just aren't many of them on the market at the moment.

So along with Naden, high performance manager Dan Ferris has left the club.

Consultant Steve Hansen could also be in his way out.

Jack Hethrington will be leaving as the club won't be taking up his option
Wonder if we’d be interested in Jack to complete the set. He’s a pretty different player to his brother but was starting to look pretty good in the second row - though he’s a Flegler level send off magnet. If he’s a decent bloke off the field we could do worse than grab him to bolster our second row stock which we’ve seen already this season are pretty thin. Could be a good replacement for Kennedy/James’ spot.

He’s a pretty different player to his brother
Wrong Hetherington, mate.

His dad was Brett, the former Raider and Cowboy.

Zac is with the Mounties who have an affiliation with the Dogs.

Wrong Hetherington, mate.

His dad was Brett, the former Raider and Cowboy.

Zac is with the Mounties who have an affiliation with the Dogs.
Haha **** that answers so many questions I had. Why they look so different despite being twins, why one of them is 2 years old than the other.

Wonder if we’d be interested in Jack to complete the set. He’s a pretty different player to his brother but was starting to look pretty good in the second row - though he’s a Flegler level send off magnet. If he’s a decent bloke off the field we could do worse than grab him to bolster our second row stock which we’ve seen already this season are pretty thin. Could be a good replacement for Kennedy/James’ spot.
He's awful in the backrow, gets found out in defence more than TPJ.

If we were going to snoop on someone, I'd be all for Vaughan at 200k, replacing Ryan James. Although I'd be surprised if Bennett doesn't go for him. He's the sort of guy who if coached right could be top tier.

Chammas reporting the Mick Potter is "set to" coach the Bulldogs for the remainder of the year.

"Sources" with knowledge of the situation report that he will be asked to leave his position as coach of feeder club Mounties to take control of the NRL team

Chammas reporting the Mick Potter is "set to" coach the Bulldogs for the remainder of the year.

"Sources" with knowledge of the situation report that he will be asked to leave his position as coach of feeder club Mounties to take control of the NRL team
This makes sense.

Gus stressed that he didn't believe Barrett wasn't the right choice for Canterbury since he didn't have any background at the club and no safety blanket if he struggled. Whereas Potter won two premierships with the club in the 80s, so it appears Gus was just getting a head start on 100% Footy to sell the fans on the appointment.

You know what though, that Dogs side has to be an appealing proposition IF he is not hamstrung by the powers that be and that really seems to be the problem now for the Dogs as a club.

But if you were a coach and you spoke to Burton and he was happy to play for you, this is pretty good to build around:

1. Allan (as a place holder)
4. Kiraz
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan (as a place holder)
9. Mahoney
11. Kikau
13. Pangai Jr (as a place holder until they can rid of themselves of his stupid salary)

So essentially, you have a weapon on the wing, a gun backrower and an extremely promising centre. You have two really good spine players in Burton and Mahoney. There are some things to build around there.

If I were the Dogs, I'd be looking hard at Trindell, I think him and Burton could really compliment each other as I think Trindell looks one of the few organising halfbacks coming through comp wide and he is being wasted at the Sharks.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd be going hard at Herbie for fullback. It doesn't seem Herbie is likely to go to Sydney though, so the other option I'd be going for here is Drinkwater.

So:

1. Drinkwater
6. Burton
7. Trindell
9. Mahoney

That is a spine that will take some time but could be something if shown faith.

You know what though, that Dogs side has to be an appealing proposition IF he is not hamstrung by the powers that be and that really seems to be the problem now for the Dogs as a club.

But if you were a coach and you spoke to Burton and he was happy to play for you, this is pretty good to build around:

1. Allan (as a place holder)
4. Kiraz
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan (as a place holder)
9. Mahoney
11. Kikau
13. Pangai Jr (as a place holder until they can rid of themselves of his stupid salary)

So essentially, you have a weapon on the wing, a gun backrower and an extremely promising centre. You have two really good spine players in Burton and Mahoney. There are some things to build around there.

If I were the Dogs, I'd be looking hard at Trindell, I think him and Burton could really compliment each other as I think Trindell looks one of the few organising halfbacks coming through comp wide and he is being wasted at the Sharks.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd be going hard at Herbie for fullback. It doesn't seem Herbie is likely to go to Sydney though, so the other option I'd be going for here is Drinkwater.

So:

1. Drinkwater
6. Burton
7. Trindell
9. Mahoney

That is a spine that will take some time but could be something if shown faith.
Trindall was absolute trash on the weekend because he had no idea how to get Nicho the ball and refused to straighten the attack to give his outside men any room.

Sharks were playing with two 6's last week... actually they were playing with a 1 (Moylan), maybe a 6 (Trindall) and a 7 who couldn't get his hands on the ball... it was bad coaching from Fitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Broncosgirl
  • barker
  • Fozz
  • kiwibronco
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • Maroon4life
  • Financeguy
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • whykickamoocow
  • thenry
  • Clintos
  • Stix
  • Big Del
  • Bongo
  • Ondi
  • lynx000
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.