NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not religion?

Seems to be the view here… the religion shield forces the NRL not to throw the Manly 7 under the bus… they can sit out with no punishment, except a huge amount of abuse they are being served.

Kinda seems like a religious belief that needs updating for the modern age I would say.. but there you have it, tolerance in action.

Hasn’t the battle for large scale general acceptance of different sexual orientation been won or well on the way to being won for some time? unless you plan on rounding up and executing all of the survivors. There is no shame in these lifestyle choices, so what is the need for all of these pride events?

There is a 3rd gender in many of the South Pacific nations .
Ladyboys are a tradition . Homosexuality is another thing though .

Everything is intriguing about Polynesia: its traditions, languages, and festivals. Yet, the most distinctive – and largely misunderstood – phenomenon is the gender diversity of the region. Third Polynesian gender has existed between the binary ends from ancient times.

Follow us into the world of Fa’afafine, Fakaleiti, Mahu, Raerae, Akava’ine, and many more.
Division of labor was prevalent in the prehistoric era. Women used to do domestic chores while male family members engaged in heavy-duty tasks such as gardening, hunting, etc. However, there was another group that Hawaiians called mahu.

This third Polynesian gender is a blend of muscular strength and feminine delicacy. These people are declared men at birth but grow up contrarily. Their interests align with roles conventionally suited for women.

The mahus (such as fa’afafines of Samoa, fakaleiti of Tonga, and whakawahines of Maori) love cross-dressing, traditional dance and art practices, floral ornaments, long gossips, and quiet giggles. However, the intensity of effeminate attributes differs from one individual to another.

https://islandawe.com/the-third-polynesian-gender-all-important-facts/

And on this point, you have been really civil in your discussion and as mentioned above, it is because of this that the discussion has has mostly been pretty well done by most posters.

Thank you for being so civil about it all.
You are welcome, and I know it is an extremely difficult job moderating a forum, especially when hot-button topics surface. I really would like to respond to some of the rebuttals given, but I think people should review more on what I have already said and also what the responses have been. In some cases the conversation runs parallel to each other, or the point is missed entirely due to higher emotion, or simply the media of conversation. In any case, if anyone wants to talk reasonably further, I will gladly do it privately. I do think that the NRL will likely dodge this bullet here, so this conversation should return to the footy, not religion or politics.

There is a 3rd gender in many of the South Pacific nations .
Ladyboys are a tradition . Homosexuality is another thing though .

Everything is intriguing about Polynesia: its traditions, languages, and festivals. Yet, the most distinctive – and largely misunderstood – phenomenon is the gender diversity of the region. Third Polynesian gender has existed between the binary ends from ancient times.

Follow us into the world of Fa’afafine, Fakaleiti, Mahu, Raerae, Akava’ine, and many more.
Division of labor was prevalent in the prehistoric era. Women used to do domestic chores while male family members engaged in heavy-duty tasks such as gardening, hunting, etc. However, there was another group that Hawaiians called mahu.

This third Polynesian gender is a blend of muscular strength and feminine delicacy. These people are declared men at birth but grow up contrarily. Their interests align with roles conventionally suited for women.

The mahus (such as fa’afafines of Samoa, fakaleiti of Tonga, and whakawahines of Maori) love cross-dressing, traditional dance and art practices, floral ornaments, long gossips, and quiet giggles. However, the intensity of effeminate attributes differs from one individual to another.

https://islandawe.com/the-third-polynesian-gender-all-important-facts/
You beat me to it @Big Del . I was also wondering how they reconcile the acceptance of the Faʻafafine some of which may be their own brother yet they refuse to support the idea of inclusion. again, this is a huge inconsistency in their religious 'beliefs'.

You beat me to it @Big Del . I was also wondering how they reconcile the acceptance of the Faʻafafine some of which may be their own brother yet they refuse to support the idea of inclusion. again, this is a huge inconsistency in their religious 'beliefs'.

Well ,,, when I saw them doing group prayers on the field after games I understood that it was only a matter of time before controversy arose ...

So much black and white thinking. There is a distinct difference between tolerance or acceptance and active promotion. Just because I don't want to wear a jersey that actively promotes something doesn't mean I'm not tolerant of it doesn't make me a bigot.
What's worse are the ludicrous claims that people not wearing the jersey are against gay marriage. Talk about misreading the room! It's not a gay marriage jersey. It's a LGBTQIA jersey whish is so much more. It basically stands for everything. Those refusing to wear it my be entirely fine with gay relationships, but not OK with gender fluidity. Saying people that won't wear it are against gay marriage is a massive straw man.
Furthermore, being against it doesn't have to be about religion either. And saying that Christians are against gay rights is as moronic as saying Muslims fly planes into buildings. In both cases yes some are/do, but most, not.
My personal, non religious belief, is that I'm fine with gay rights but I draw the line with multiple genders and people having surgery to change genders. I just don't believe in it, simple. But I keep my opinions on this to myself. I'm not actively promoting either view.
Although I don't agree with more than 2 genders, or moving from one to another, I also don't think those folks should be shamed for their choices, ostracised, or not allowed to work, etc. That is called tolerance, not bigotry. I just don't want to actively promote something I don't agree with. That is my choice and I'm not a bigot for making that choice.

At the end of the day, we are always included. What’s wrong with letting people who don’t feel included know that they are included? Who does this hurt? Not a single person no matter what your thoughts on the topic are. It doesn’t stop you from going to your heaven any more than wearing gambling logos, cheating on your girlfriends, doing drugs or wearing clothing containing two different materials. This should not be political, inclusion isn’t political. Just go ask for forgiveness on Sunday like you always do..

At the end of the day, we are always included. What’s wrong with letting people who don’t feel included know that they are included? Who does this hurt? Not a single person no matter what your thoughts on the topic are. It doesn’t stop you from going to your heaven any more than wearing gambling logos, cheating on your girlfriends, doing drugs or wearing clothing containing two different materials. This should not be political, inclusion isn’t political. Just go ask for forgiveness on Sunday like you always do..
Agree 100%. Religious intolerance produces the aggressive idea of 'other'. My way or the highway so to speak which forms the foundation of fascism. Whereas tolerance is based on the more inclusive idea of 'another'. You might not agree with it, but you live and let live.

I hate the narrative “he plays with a wife basher so why won’t he wear the pride jersey?”

they’re missing the point, I bet if you asked them to wear a jersey promoting wife bashing they’d probably refuse that too.

being tolerant of something and actively promoting something are 2 different things. I’m sure most of these guys wouldn’t care less if their team mate is gay, “love the sinner, not the sin” is basically a Christian mantra.

The bigger issue obviously is the culture thing, a lot more expectations on poly’s to toe the family line than us whitey’s. I feel sorry for them, they need to keep up with appearances so they don’t bring shame.

Totally thrown under the bus. discussions needed to happen behind closed doors.

My personal, non religious belief, is that I'm fine with gay rights but I draw the line with multiple genders and people having surgery to change genders. I just don't believe in it, simple. But I keep my opinions on this to myself. I'm not actively promoting either view.
hey mate, I know you've said you aren't airing/promoting either view so I'm not trying to bait you into anything here, but why does this bother you? It's a touchy subject I get it, but I don't really think it's something you can believe in, unless all psychological and mental conditions are a matter of belief, which I think is dangerous ground to tread.

What Manly should’ve done is just promote the idea, make the goal posts rainbow, sell a fan rainbow jersey and have Ian wear it and promote it along with a couple players that you know are okay with it (eg Foz): Go wild with the media team and do a piece on gay acceptance in rugby league.

All they needed to do is keep the game day jersey the same as always and no one would’ve known what the players thoughts were. And it doesn’t matter - the manly sea Eagles brand is bigger than Saab and a couple of his mates. Most of the left wing media that would congratulate them never would’ve watched a single game of league and wouldn’t even know who these players are.

I have a mate who is religious and he geniuely believes promoting homosexulaty will condem him to hell he will burn for enternity. He works with a gay man and gets on with him fine, he is not saying they cannot coexist but more I dont want to encourage it. These probably players feel the same more or less so it quite unfair for an someone to forced to play all things considered . Best way give people rainbow socks those wishing to participate and leave it at that .

Anyways, its women in league round, lets circle back to the inclusion thing when someone has actually thought it through..

Maybe because the game is losing so many fans they are trying to replace them.

Attachments

• 1A5D8128-2BBB-4E51-9EB3-806E9BE01301.gif
    1A5D8128-2BBB-4E51-9EB3-806E9BE01301.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
The Dragons have reportedly sacked two assistants. Peter Gentle and Mathew Head have been told their services won't be required next year.

both will stay on for the rest of 2022

I have a mate who is religious and he geniuely believes promoting homosexulaty will condem him to hell he will burn for enternity. He works with a gay man and gets on with him fine, he is not saying they cannot coexist but more I dont want to encourage it. These probably players feel the same more or less so it quite unfair for an someone to forced to play all things considered . Best way give people rainbow socks those wishing to participate and leave it at that .

It's not the sexual orientation, it's the sexual activity.

I think you will find most religious folk are more than prepared to get along just fine with homosexuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Gaz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.