NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also doesn't have any kind words about Archer.

Pretty much saying that the game has deteriorated under his watch.

People forget this bloke was the referees boss up until 2012. He was widely criticised when he was in the job and he is directly responsible for some of the perceived crap that came into the game. He can talk as tough as he wants about Smith etc but he is full of shit for the most part. I actually think the game is better than it was 5 years ago

Last edited:
Bill Harrigan is the textbook case of rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

I regularly listen to him harp on about a decision on the Triple M coverage and hear all the other commentators verbally felate him as the greatest ref ever, only to get home, see the replay on TV and find he was completely fucking wrong.

He also doesn't have any kind words about Archer.

Pretty much saying that the game has deteriorated under his watch.

I don't blame Archer in all this. The direction the refereeing has gone is purely a marketing exercise, designed to artificially keep games close. That's not something that comes from a refs boss, that's something that comes from above.

I've mentioned this sentiment to a few people this season and have regrettably ruined their enjoyment of the game as it now stands out so sorely to them... if only this was my second sport...

And I'm still trying to block out what we now know about the video ref. Tipping off the on-field refs behind the scenes about everything from off-sides to ruck infringements, during the run of play, not just when called upon. If it's not completely rigged, it's most certainly manufactured.

The standard of officiating under Harrigan wasn't as bad as what it is today. In fact the standard of officiating pre-Archer wasn't as bad as what it is today.

Crap like not playing the ball, walking off the mark, trapping the ball with the foot in a scrum to get a penalty, blockers weren't anywhere near as bad as what it is today. In fact, it wasn't even a problem back then. All of that crap came in under Archer's watch.

Teams were rewarded for a dominant performance back then by remaining dominant throughout the game. Teams were still given a bit of a leg up, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what it is today.

Even the walls on field goal attempts weren't a problem back then. So much crap has been allowed to creep into the game under Archer's watch all to make this the "closest competition ever."

Howlers happened back then because the rules weren't black and white, there were grey areas. Having the bunker brought in back then would have reduced some of those.

Whether that's Archer's fault, who knows? But previous ref bosses have had to pay for poor performances from officiating, why isn't he?

I would actually prefer to go back to the one ref system. The game was better back then. The two ref system is causing too many problems as there are two interpretations out there. In fact, back in the one ref system players were actually penalized for walking off the mark and were penalized for not playing the ball properly. Bring back the one ref system and scrap this stupid try or no try rubbish.

The refereeing is crap from a fairness and consistency point of view, but it's exactly what the NRL wants. Close games, and attacking football based on fast (illegal) play the balls and minimal penalties.

Archer is doing his job perfectly.

The standard of officiating under Harrigan wasn't as bad as what it is today. In fact the standard of officiating pre-Archer wasn't as bad as what it is today.

Crap like not playing the ball, walking off the mark, trapping the ball with the foot in a scrum to get a penalty, blockers weren't anywhere near as bad as what it is today. In fact, it wasn't even a problem back then. All of that crap came in under Archer's watch.

Teams were rewarded for a dominant performance back then by remaining dominant throughout the game. Teams were still given a bit of a leg up, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as what it is today.

Even the walls on field goal attempts weren't a problem back then. So much crap has been allowed to creep into the game under Archer's watch all to make this the "closest competition ever."

Howlers happened back then because the rules weren't black and white, there were grey areas. Having the bunker brought in back then would have reduced some of those.

Whether that's Archer's fault, who knows? But previous ref bosses have had to pay for poor performances from officiating, why isn't he?

I would actually prefer to go back to the one ref system. The game was better back then. The two ref system is causing too many problems as there are two interpretations out there. In fact, back in the one ref system players were actually penalized for walking off the mark and were penalized for not playing the ball properly. Bring back the one ref system and scrap this stupid try or no try rubbish.
Preach!

I think I love you Freaky.

Funnily enough, the 'try or no try' thing is one of the things I like about this refereeing farce at present. If you can or can't find sufficient evidence to overturn or not overturn a decision, go with the original feeling.

That is not the problem, the problem is when the video ref starts seeing things that aren't there or vice versa simply to manufacture a closer game or result. The video ref should also not be influencing any other part of the game which was supposed to be the idea of a bunker in the first place wasn't it?

Funnily enough, the 'try or no try' thing is one of the things I like about this refereeing farce at present. If you can or can't find sufficient evidence to overturn or not overturn a decision, go with the original feeling.

That is not the problem, the problem is when the video ref starts seeing things that aren't there or vice versa simply to manufacture a closer game or result. The video ref should also not be influencing any other part of the game which was supposed to be the idea of a bunker in the first place wasn't it?
The definition of 'conclusive' seems to vary depending on how close the score is.

NRL clubs agree to landmark football department salary cap
MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Daily Telegraph

August 31, 2017 11:01am

NRL clubs have agreed to a landmark proposal to introduce a cap on football club spending from next year.

A football department cap of $5.7 million will be introduced from next year after a meeting of club chief executives and NRL boss Todd Greenberg.

It was agreed that the figure will be lifted by four per cent in the next three years to enable staff to be given CPI salary rises.

Clubs will have until 2020 to get under the salary cap, and if they do not they will be taxed 37 per cent tax on whatever they overspend by.

Head coach and assistant coach salaries are included, as are training camps. Operational costs will also come out of the cap but not capital costs of centre of excellence.

NRL head of strategy David Silverton said it was an important move to curtail the rising costs of running club football departments.
2016 NRL CLUBS FOOTBALL DEPT. SPENDING

SPENDINGCLUBS
$8M+Raiders, Eels
$7M+Bulldogs, Broncos, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Panthers
$6M+Storm, Sea Eagles
$5M+Knights, Cowboys, Dragons
$4M+Tigers, Sharks
$3M+Titans
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
“By putting the cap in place it will help ensure that our competition remains competitive and even,” Silverton said.

“It will also help ensure that NRL clubs do not overspend simply to keep up with other clubs.

“And that should help our clubs remain financially sustainable.”

The move will save the game about $10 million per season.

The Raiders, Canterbury and Parramatta were among the biggest spenders last year forking out about $8 million each to run their football programs.

While the likes of Brisbane, the Roosters, South Sydney, Melbourne, Penrith and Manly spent above the proposed $5.7 million.

Premiers Cronulla only spent about $4.5 million last year, while the Titans, the Tigers, St George Illawarra, the Warriors and Newcastle spent less than $5.7 million.

The football department cap will be reviewed in 2020.

Meanwhile, talks will resume between Greenberg and the Rugby League Players’ Association today as they look to secure an agreed collective-bargaining

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/486880ad83dc762b575a54b32140d6a6

so let me get this straight ... the NRL are going to give clubs until 2020 to get under the football department cap, the same year they plan to review how this new cap works ...

yep, sounds like typical NRL incompetence

Not sure where to put this. If this needs it's own thread then mods can edit.

But Melbourne and Nth Qld are blatantly cheating next season.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/f045da6546718973540558fcaf2eb105

MELBOURNE AND NORTH QUEENSLAND’S $1.5M SALARY CAP LOOPHOLE FOR CAMERON SMITH, JOHNATHAN THURSTON

Phil Rothfield, Exclusive, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

MELBOURNE Storm and the North Queensland Cowboys have found a legal way to exploit next year’s salary cap by a combined $1.5 million in staging a testimonial game for Maroons legends Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston.

In a dangerous precedent, the NRL will allow the two clubs to play a trial match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane in February with all gate takings, sponsorship, merchandise and potential TV rights being shared by the two superstars.

They could become the code’s first $2 million stars by collecting up to $750,000 each — which is exempt from the salary cap — on top of their $1.3 million playing contracts.

The timing is interesting in that Smith, as president of the RLPA, is entangled in bitter negotiations with NRL powerbrokers over the collective bargaining agreement.

Melbourne Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy declined to comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph on Thursday.
His club could the benefit again next year by putting on a similar ‘charity’ game for Billy Slater.

Under the ‘testimonial’ arrangement, the Storm could hypothetically pay the champion fullback less than his market value but offer him up to $750,000 from a one-off game.

The code’s rules allow for testimonial matches but they are rarely approved by the NRL. Given the status of these two players the NRL felt it was appropriate.

Both clubs and the players’ managers have worked on the loophole for a number of months.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said Smith and Thurston deserved the chance to play in a testimonial match.

“We do not approve these matches lightly but there is no doubt these are two of the best players to play the game,” he said.
“Not only have they reached the highest level in representing their State and country but they have done it in style.

“They are both a credit to the game and fans deserve the chance to pay respect to them.”

It also opens the door for rival clubs to escape salary cap pressure by offering other long-time champions like Paul Gallen at the Cronulla Sharks a money-making swan song.

It is interesting in that Smith has been one of the most vocal critics of the NRL in the recent pay dispute.

He has even threatened to boycott the Dally M Awards by recently saying: “If it’s the right thing to do for our playing group I’m willing to sacrifice that night.”

‘Off the record’ conversations with club chief executives indicate there will be a backlash.

Especially at clubs like the Canterbury Bulldogs who are desperately trying to move players on but unaware that players like their skipper James Graham could also have been offered a testimonial.

The sooner these two fuckers retire the better off the NRL will be.

Well they won't get a cent from me then.

I have no problem with them staging the game but why do only these 2 players get the gate takings? Why not share the gate takings with all 34 players(as long as every club has people playing)?

Oh my gosh, just when you think they can't get anymore incompetent...they do.

Why the hell is it happening in Brisbane? Neither player plays for a Brisbane based club.

If the precedent has been set then it looks like we need to schedule Blair a testimonial game, Boyd too... hell, chuck in a Milford one as well for good measure.

EDIT: We could kill two birds with one stone by having a clash of the Broncos testimonial three match series. 8 Broncos on each side, with the rest of the two teams made up of ISC players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • Bongo
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncs1459
  • kiwi2
  • Mick_Hancock
  • MrMoore
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.