NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wish this guy would just shut up, he makes himself look like even more of an out of touch moron every time he speaks.

“(They) can take their mobile phone with them on the field because they've got 20 minutes to tweet, Instagram or TikTok,” V'landys said.
Deez Nuts GIF

I kinda wanna see a lockout tbh. Just to see the chaos that ensues in the first few weeks. Players having to apply for 9-5 jobs. Scandal after scandal. Vlandys making death threats to players like a mob boss. It could be great entertainment

Sooooo many dimensions to this that are equal parts hilarious and pathetic. First Australian Rugby Union basically came straight out and said they need to poach the shit out of League to survive (what is this the mid 2000's?), and second....They have to time it to when a showdown between the NRL and the players is imminent in order to have an inch of real leverage to work with.

The last desperate flailings of a dying species, and the only reason they have even a sniff of a chance at succeeding with this strategy is because of how hopeless Vlandal and his administration are......Never let it be said that Australian sport is without needless melodrama.

Dean Ritchie reporting that the American Championship Rugby League President, Tom Stevenson has contacted Vlandys, offering to pause their comp (starts on Jan 29) and immediately send his 160 players to Australia, in order to keep the NRL going should the NRL players strike over the CBA negotiations.

Tom Stevenson says:

“I have spoken with our players today and we have 160 ready to go to Australia if the NRL players go on strike,”

“Today, I reached out to the coaches to get confirmation before calling Peter V’landys and all our coaches said their players would drop everything and be on the next flight over to Australia.”

“If the strike action is to go ahead, we would instantly pause our season and send over all 160 players to help save the NRL competition. The show will go on with or without the current players,” Stevenson said.

“If the NRL players don’t think there is somebody waiting in the wings to do their job for a quarter of the money then they are kidding themselves. Our players are ready.”

“I am under no illusion our guys are not training in professional programs at the moment, but this move to Australia would keep the competition going for the fans and would keep the game’s broadcast commitments, which is employment for a lot of people,” Stevenson said.

“We could be over to Australia with all 160 players who are on the books at Championship Rugby League. We have a database of USA based men’s players with more than 400 names on it.

“American players are natural athletes with a strong grasp of the game and we play an entertaining style of rugby league. Who knows, it might even open the door for some of our players to be lured to the NRL.

“Most of the guys have played college football or have a Rugby 7s background in college and have taken to rugby league with a lot of passion.

“As an NRL fan, all this is kind of confusing.

“Players in Australia play for clubs, not billionaire owners and they represent the community and fans are attached to the teams, not the players.”

I’m sure we could drag up 160 blokes who are better than what the USA has to offer if we had to….. still, this would be comedy gold if it ever eventuated.

wtf is vlandis angling at here? The cynic in me tells me a major unrelated scandal might be about to break out.

Dean Ritchie reporting that the American Championship Rugby League President, Tom Stevenson has contacted Vlandys, offering to pause their comp (starts on Jan 29) and immediately send his 160 players to Australia, in order to keep the NRL going should the NRL players strike over the CBA negotiations.

Tom Stevenson says:

“I have spoken with our players today and we have 160 ready to go to Australia if the NRL players go on strike,”

“Today, I reached out to the coaches to get confirmation before calling Peter V’landys and all our coaches said their players would drop everything and be on the next flight over to Australia.”

“If the strike action is to go ahead, we would instantly pause our season and send over all 160 players to help save the NRL competition. The show will go on with or without the current players,” Stevenson said.

“If the NRL players don’t think there is somebody waiting in the wings to do their job for a quarter of the money then they are kidding themselves. Our players are ready.”

“I am under no illusion our guys are not training in professional programs at the moment, but this move to Australia would keep the competition going for the fans and would keep the game’s broadcast commitments, which is employment for a lot of people,” Stevenson said.

“We could be over to Australia with all 160 players who are on the books at Championship Rugby League. We have a database of USA based men’s players with more than 400 names on it.

“American players are natural athletes with a strong grasp of the game and we play an entertaining style of rugby league. Who knows, it might even open the door for some of our players to be lured to the NRL.

“Most of the guys have played college football or have a Rugby 7s background in college and have taken to rugby league with a lot of passion.

“As an NRL fan, all this is kind of confusing.

“Players in Australia play for clubs, not billionaire owners and they represent the community and fans are attached to the teams, not the players.”
lol I’m sure Vlandy’s had nothing to do with the wording of these comments

Yeah cos people are gonna pay their hard earned to watch Chad he who peaked in high school play for their club

It's Don V's way of saying "you aren't irreplaceable" to the players, a response to the RLPA saying that a player strike would not be ideal, but not out of the question.

later on he says they have a database of 400 US Rugby League Players

Haha, they can’t even count things they do have access to, I doubt this is true. And I also doubt is a 15-20 team comp in the US that goes any longer than a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Organix
  • mitch222
  • winslow_wong
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncorob
  • MrMoore
  • Evander
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • teampjta
  • Broncosarethebest
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.