NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously he’s been playing for the Tigers, but I don’t know how you can go for 5-6 years and 100+ games and still not get over for a try

I guess Patty’s over halfway there already too but man, seeing wingers just fall over the line week in week out must be doing some kind of psychological damage to these blokes
Patty is in his 5th year with 69 games for a donut. Twal notched his 110th game. Kind of crazy, especially Patty who is up there as a player and has probably played more minutes than Twal lol.

Surely Patty is due a try this year.
@Wolfie sort it out mate.

Patty is in his 5th year with 69 games for a donut. Twal notched his 110th game. Kind of crazy, especially Patty who is up there as a player and has probably played more minutes than Twal lol.

think he is counting on the yearly patty nudie run so probably wont get much encouragement.

Its about time he got one!

Chicken Sandwich Boy is making his debut for the Dogs this afternoon 👍🏻
Most likely will be kept out of the fire in the first half by Ciraldo.

Jesus it is hard to believe what you read sometimes. There is plenty wrong with the game but the lack of shoulder charges is not on of them.
What have you got against shoulder charges?

Bloody beautiful when done right!

Chicken Sandwich Boy is making his debut for the Dogs this afternoon 👍🏻
Most likely will be kept out of the fire in the first half by Ciraldo.
Hopefully he drops everything that comes his way and shits his pants.

Who was it here who said the judiciary isn't influenced by the NRL?

Josh Reynolds got no charge for yelling BS at Atkins, Abdo came out in the media and asked the MRC to review it. He then copper a grade 1 charge.

Abdo’s decision to step in marks the first time he or any member of the ARL Commission have used their power to refer matters for further inspection after it was introduced last March. The rule was used by Newcastle earlier this year when they wanted an Isaiah Papali’i hit on Jack Johns sent for further review. “There is a process under the judiciary rules that allows the board and CEO of a club or game to ask for the match review committee to further review an incident,” NRL head of football Graham Annesley said.

Josh Reynolds got no charge for yelling BS at Atkins, Abdo came out in the media and asked the MRC to review it. He then copper a grade 1 charge.

Abdo’s decision to step in marks the first time he or any member of the ARL Commission have used their power to refer matters for further inspection after it was introduced last March. The rule was used by Newcastle earlier this year when they wanted an Isaiah Papali’i hit on Jack Johns sent for further review. “There is a process under the judiciary rules that allows the board and CEO of a club or game to ask for the match review committee to further review an incident,” NRL head of football Graham Annesley said.

Do you reckon Abdo ran this by Vlandys or is he being reprimanded as we speak?

This is a half decent read, and anyone older than 35 would have to see the truth in the sarcastic tone of this piece.
RL is not the RL we grew up with, its a softened, watered down farce, more business than sport and more about making oodles of money from the devoted fans than keeping the spirit, integrity and grit of the game that made it popular in the first place.

If i see another well timed tackle on a kicker get penalized i will bitch and moan about it no end, because i am too addicted to the game to leave it outright.

Sick to death of the NRL suits finding ways to **** our beloved game up every season.

Tbh, I don't mind it here...swearing directly at the Ref is a bad look for the game. I'll take issue if they take an interest in tackles etc.

Tbh, I don't mind it here...swearing directly at the Ref is a bad look for the game. I'll take issue if they take an interest in tackles etc.
Josh Reynolds history of being a complete fuckstick aside......

If it was just.... "bullshit" he yelled at the ref, then a week off is a bit harsh.
If he yelled....."bullshit you fucken ballbag"....or some such insult that was directed at the ref personally.....
fair nuff......

Josh Reynolds history of being a complete fuckstick aside......

If it was just.... "bullshit" he yelled at the ref, then a week off is a bit harsh.
If he yelled....."bullshit you fucken ballbag"....or some such insult that was directed at the ref personally.....
fair nuff......
He copped a fine, not a week off.

To clarify, I'm not talking about the specific incident, I'm talking about the NRL asking the judiciary to have a look at something like this.

Atkins reaction was excellent I thought "Excuuuoise moi?!?" Thought I was watching an episode of super nanny or something

"There has been a view expressed that the NRL and the referees have gone overboard with the protection of kickers, and this goes right back to a directive that came from the [ARL] commission," Annesley said.

"You can see this is from July 2021, and it talks about protecting kickers. There are a few key points to come out of this which I've tried to summarise in terms of what do we mean when we talk about protecting kickers?

"What it really comes down to is there are four things the referees are really looking for.

"One is whether it's late or not, and contact with kickers after the ball has been kicked won't always be deemed to be late, the second one is high obviously, if there is contact with the head or neck, everyone knows that contact with the head or neck is a no-no these days, so that's another factor they look for.

"[In the Hess on Hynes example] everyone talks about "that's not late, he's already committed to the tackle", but again, think about the four factors. It's obviously not high in this case, but have a look at the risk of injury, but also the vulnerability. Hynes has both point off the ground [when Hess makes contact]. It's around the waist, but he is off balance and he lands heavily on the ground," Annesley said

This is just ridiculous. By definition, any player at any time they are tackled are vulnerable. It also allows legitimately good, hard LEGAL hits to be penalised and allows the ref to use 'discretion' to legitimise penalising great tackles.

Just leave the game alone!

The point is, the game is being over-officiated to the extent it's losing what brought a lot of fans to the game in the first place.

Shoulder charges made up an extremely small percentage of tackles each year, less than 5% I believe. The game isn't missing much with the ban.

Players were getting them wrong too much aiming for the upper body and making contact with the head. The long term effects can be devastating, much more devastating than regular head high tackles. You can't ban all tackles but you can ban the most dangerous in an effort to reduce the risk.

"There has been a view expressed that the NRL and the referees have gone overboard with the protection of kickers, and this goes right back to a directive that came from the [ARL] commission," Annesley said.

"You can see this is from July 2021, and it talks about protecting kickers. There are a few key points to come out of this which I've tried to summarise in terms of what do we mean when we talk about protecting kickers?

"What it really comes down to is there are four things the referees are really looking for.

"One is whether it's late or not, and contact with kickers after the ball has been kicked won't always be deemed to be late, the second one is high obviously, if there is contact with the head or neck, everyone knows that contact with the head or neck is a no-no these days, so that's another factor they look for.

"[In the Hess on Hynes example] everyone talks about "that's not late, he's already committed to the tackle", but again, think about the four factors. It's obviously not high in this case, but have a look at the risk of injury, but also the vulnerability. Hynes has both point off the ground [when Hess makes contact]. It's around the waist, but he is off balance and he lands heavily on the ground," Annesley said

This is just ridiculous. By definition, any player at any time they are tackled are vulnerable. It also allows legitimately good, hard LEGAL hits to be penalised and allows the ref to use 'discretion' to legitimise penalising great tackles.

Just leave the game alone!
I believe the only way around this would be put a stop clock from when the ball leaves the player (kickin, passing) and when contact is made.
They way this is going is ridiculous, puting pressure on a player to make a play is such an integral part of the game, also most of us have a good sense when it’s late. Dangerous contact is a different thing.

Is it half a second? I don’t know the answer but there needs to be some sort of black and white rule.

He copped a fine, not a week off.

To clarify, I'm not talking about the specific incident, I'm talking about the NRL asking the judiciary to have a look at something like this.

Atkins reaction was excellent I thought "Excuuuoise moi?!?" Thought I was watching an episode of super nanny or something
I like the bit where Atkins thought he was yelling at his kids for a moment, was about to say, “I’m not talking to you ever again”!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • Emanon
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Rambstien
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lazza
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.