NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I’d say Griffin is first. O’Brien second and then who knows for third. Ciraldo, Webster, Seibold and Sheens are all safe regardless of results being in their first years at their clubs. Stuart and Arthur have tenure regardless of results. Bennett and Bellamy name their price and contract length. Payten will see out the season unless reports of infighting, etc start because of his results last year. So not really sure who else is at risk. Holbrook also will be given time and the Titans aren’t going that badly.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Griffin is as good as gone, O'Brien I'm not sure on, he is on shaky ground but for several games this year Knights have looked way better then I thought they could be.

I could see Arthur going at the end of the season if Eels don't make the top 8, Parra's Board is incredibly unstable and could easily do something stupid, if that happened I think we could see some other team sack their coach to get him.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Griffin is as good as gone, O'Brien I'm not sure on, he is on shaky ground but for several games this year Knights have looked way better then I thought they could be.

I could see Arthur going at the end of the season if Eels don't make the top 8, Parra's Board is incredibly unstable and could easily do something stupid, if that happened I think we could see some other team sack their coach to get him.
Is Arthur really that good though??

His Parra team is basically stacked, but they barely put up a fight against Penrith in the GF and the team as a whole is basically considered to be a flat track bully with no consistency.

He's definitely better than a lot of coaches around, but is he in the discussion as being elite?

If he got sacked and picked up by titans would he suddenly be able to turn them into a force?

Or is he a little bit like Madge where perhaps the playing group around him elevates his success.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

His Parra team is basically stacked, but they barely put up a fight against Penrith in the GF and the team as a whole is basically considered to be a flat track bully with no consistency.

He's definitely better than a lot of coaches around, but is he in the discussion as being elite?

If he got sacked and picked up by titans would he suddenly be able to turn them into a force?

Or is he a little bit like Madge where perhaps the playing group around him elevates his success.

To me he's s lot like Brian Smith used to be.

I.e. he'll make you competitive, and finals bound more often than not ... but he can't get you over the final hurdle and win you a premiership

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019

It's hard to answer, but I can easily see him walking into the Dragons or Knights right now if he got Sacked.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
AFL introducing a 19th team, announcing it 5 years early. In comparison the NRL basically gave zero concession and it was a rushed mess.

The AFL will expand to 19 teams from 2028 after announcing the introduction of a new club in Tasmania this week. And the game will go above and beyond in an effort to ensure the team is successful from day one. That will include the Tasmanian team getting four or five first round draft picks in the 2027, 2028 and 2029 national drafts. They will also be given $1 million outside the salary cap to sign marquee players.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
AFL introducing a 19th team, announcing it 5 years early. In comparison the NRL basically gave zero concession and it was a rushed mess.

The AFL will expand to 19 teams from 2028 after announcing the introduction of a new club in Tasmania this week. And the game will go above and beyond in an effort to ensure the team is successful from day one. That will include the Tasmanian team getting four or five first round draft picks in the 2027, 2028 and 2029 national drafts. They will also be given $1 million outside the salary cap to sign marquee players.

Be nice if some AFL execs would head to the NRL.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
lol some of the knights players off at bali for magic round you would think some extras might have been a better choice

Having a break and getting away from the training and the weekly NRL grind can be much more beneficial for a side than doing extras over the break. There's a history of it working.

Working harder can lead to the hole being dug deeper and deeper.

Some time away can help the mind to refresh and re-focus.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Having a break and getting away from the training and the weekly NRL grind can be much more beneficial for a side than doing extras over the break. There's a history of it working.

It will either work and be a genius move or not and bring more scrutiny.
Tits sharks manly after the bye and a real chance of losing all three

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019

With a $700 million dollar stadium being built and the club defacto run by the Tasmanian government it's a strange bid, Maybe if the NRL nudged the NT government to do something similar they could make one there.

Given it's the only state/territory without a team in either of the two major codes, I doubt you would get much if any government help for any other bid like in Perth or a second NZ team.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Be nice if some AFL execs would head to the NRL.

Their current boss is available as we speak. It is devastating to compare him to Vlandys. It is downright embarrassing for league.

I

ImperiumHB7

Apr 22, 2023
Regarding coaches surely Griffin is dead in the water? Unless they genuinely think Hunt goes or sits out if another coach is in (dunno if they go with him but would think Des may get a lookin).

Surely RL when expanding will look at reinstating a WA team, I love the Brisbane addition of Dolphins to bring a rivalry in a sense but I don't know how many new fans it'll bring whereas other spots can hopefully bring new players; fans etc... though maybe unfortunately a WA or NT spot may be financially not viable possibly but surely its more worth that than expanding in already RL heartland...sure other better minds who have watched rugby far longer than me would know the best approach

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

They looked like they were already on holidays against parra last week

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

NRL taking concussion super seriously. Good to know the NRL will just apply the exemption even if not eligible.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Magic round sold out for all 3 days.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I have to point this out because it's honestly insane tbh, Roosters as of right now are currently 2nd on average attendence with 28k, miles ahead of all Sydney teams and even beating Dolphins who were gifted the 52k crowd with us at Suncorp.

Traditionally a team who has jack all support despite all their success, the new Allianz stadium seems to have gotten them all interested in going to the game again, I also wonder if it's ex Rugby fans who have lost interest in the game(Waratahs) as their crowd numbers are shockingly bad these days, as the Eastern Suburbs has generally been staunchly Union.

That said I think if Souths management had a brain and moved there as Moore park is their traditional home region being walking distance from Redfern, they would do even better.

Going by the Numbers here: https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/summary.html

2023 is the best Season for crowd numbers since records were collected in 1957, even if you count the fact earlier rounds have more it's still well above any season for the first 9 rounds, the game is in a very good place right now, and I feel it's much lower than it could be with Souths and dogs playing at the terrible Homebush ground aswell as Sharks and Manly selling out their tiny stadiums every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bronxsupporter
  • Totally Unr3al
  • ivanhungryjak
  • LittleDavey
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • barker
  • Old Mate
  • Bucking Beads
  • Johnny92
  • Justwin
  • Galah
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Wolfie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • mrslong
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.