NRL Player Movements and Rumours 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't be able to wipe the smile off my face if that actually happens

I don't think the issue is about back-ended deals.

Neither player is necessarily owed more money. It's just that Matai is being low-balled by Manly and he has higher offers elsewhere which he can take advantage of this year. That's a news story that has existed for a few months now and Manly have tried their best to drag it out as long as they can to coax him into playing one more season. Personally, I see both sides. Matai is at that stage where he's getting ready to collect his Rugby League pension. If he can achieve success elsewhere while earning the maximum amount of what he's worth, then he's entitled to chase that.

If I was Manly, I'd let him walk. Matai is a good centre in the salary cap era but he isn't the type of player you treat as a marquee signing. Once he starts demanding marquee money, you let him go and groom a new centre. I think Manly are OK in that regard - backs are probably the one spot they're doing OK in. And even if they weren't, they could always pluck a prospect out from somewhere. The real issue will come when Lyon inevitably retires which could be as early as this season, but I suspect it will be in 2016.

Foran is off contract and naturally he's fielding all these ridiculously high offers from clubs and unfortunately for Manly, they're still trying to figure out how much money they have to offer as they nail down DCE. Cherry-Evans is odds on at staying in the Northern Beaches but they've got to land one before they can even think of landing the other. I think they're as valuable as each other, but DCE would be the priority.

"Happy to play for Manly for less". No, happy for back-ended contracts, but when everyone is due their payday, something has to give.

Roosters 2016.

Hopefully someone offers DCE ludicrous money and Manly end up with no good halves for 2016

I'd laugh if the Warriors get Foran and then the Eels throw a lot of money at Brett Stewart too

tumblr_m5l1tiG63H1rypyjto1_500.jpg

If the Burgi split up we could be in the running when Sam returns. Would prefer him to replace Parker over Merrin. Also there's this (Again :P)
20130827182803507121-620x349.jpg

Always enjoy posting that one.

Might be time for a new NRL Player Movements thread.

Joe Burgess to Roosters in 2016.. I love how it's always them or the Rabbitohs who snag the great up and coming poms, kinda annoying.

Salary cap? What salary cap?

What a joke. And they'll somehow have enough cash lying around for both Foran and SBW after he finishes fucking around in union. Throw Merrin in for good measure while you're at it. Seriously, how does this back line (not even considering their forwards) fit under the cap: Pearce, foran, tupou, jennings, ferguson, Burgess, rts?

What a joke. And they'll somehow have enough cash lying around for both Foran and SBW after he finishes fucking around in union. Throw Merrin in for good measure while you're at it. Seriously, how does this back line (not even considering their forwards) fit under the cap: Pearce, foran, tupou, jennings, ferguson, Burgess, rts?

Uncle Nick?

When did Foran sign with the Roosters? I doubt Tupou, Burgess or RTS would be on much (yet) either.

When did Foran sign with the Roosters? I doubt Tupou, Burgess or RTS would be on much (yet) either.

Really? RTS and topou have been on the scene for a while, and burgess is one of the top wingers in super league. Do you think he packed up his life there and gave up a no doubt big contract over there for minimum wage and an unlimited supply of uncle nicks famous paella?

They aren't on minimum wage, but Roosters recruitment strategies have been noticeably better than anyone else's for a while (except possibly the Storm) and their success probably allows them to sign players for a little less than a club that has nothing going for them. Like the Broncos did a decade ago.

I'm frustrated at their success as well, but I doubt they are cheating or anything like that. They've been losing big name players too.
If we start playing better and smarter, there will be salary cap cheats insults aimed at us once again as well.

their success probably allows them to sign players for a little less than a club that has nothing going for them. Like the Broncos did a decade ago.

Yeah like the ex NSW centre who has had a year off for way less than any other club would have signed him for. Fans are a lot more quiet about the Roosters ability to sign every player than they are when we sign one player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Midean
  • mrslong
  • Johnny92
  • levikaden
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Adammacca
  • Wolfie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.