NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have done well recruiting for their pack, but without a competent 7 it won't make much difference.

With the increase in cap, if they don't land Moses, it's going to end in tears for them.

Surprised they signed him for that long, after seeing how he wriggled his way out of Canberra
You wouldn’t think he would last four years after walking out on his last two clubs.

Api, Klemmer, Papalii and Bateman are a hell of a good 4 signings to make. They've easily recruited best of any NRL club for next year, time will tell if it'll translate but they have the firepower to be a top 8 team if the coaching is right. With a forward pack like that they should go into most games confident.

Arguably the game's best 9 leading a very good forward pack, if Staines can live up to his hype they'll go good. Doueihi is a gun 5/8 so most of the concern is if Brooks can lead them around the park. I don't mind Brooks, I think he's enormously overpaid but he's a serviceable 7.

Api, Klemmer, Papalii and Bateman are a hell of a good 4 signings to make. They've easily recruited best of any NRL club for next year, time will tell if it'll translate but they have the firepower to be a top 8 team if the coaching is right. With a forward pack like that they should go into most games confident.

Arguably the game's best 9 leading a very good forward pack, if Staines can live up to his hype they'll go good. Doueihi is a gun 5/8 so most of the concern is if Brooks can lead them around the park. I don't mind Brooks, I think he's enormously overpaid but he's a serviceable 7.

Time will tell for sure but they look like smokies to do a Cowboys from this year.

You wouldn’t think he would last four years after walking out on his last two clubs.

Fair enough if there was a good reason for it but what was reported when he got out of Canberra was there really wasn't a motivating factor other than money

Tigers have either recruited brilliantly or they're all there for a holiday, I don't like some of the behaviour of Papali'i and Api with how they weren't really showing an eagerness to head to the Tigers. I think Papali'i tried to get out of it and Api with the antics after the Grand Final. It's a wait and see scenario

They're also thinking very smart about their coach in the future. The Benji apprenticeship could be a master stroke and teams will copy it for years
Maybe we can copy it with Reynolds.

They're also thinking very smart about their coach in the future. The Benji apprenticeship could be a master stroke and teams will copy it for years
Seems like a trend of that is starting. Souths, Tigers and Dolphins..

Seems like a trend of that is starting. Souths, Tigers and Dolphins..
VERY big difference with the Tiggers though, Benji hasn't done a coaching apprenticeship prior to being named the assistant (and head coach in waiting) to the main job.

The other 2 have.

Those in the know, have there been any other examples of someone being made a first grade assistant without having served a lower grade/overseas apprenticeship?

VERY big difference with the Tiggers though, Benji hasn't done a coaching apprenticeship prior to being named the assistant (and head coach in waiting) to the main job.

The other 2 have.

Those in the know, have there been any other examples of someone being made a first grade assistant without having served a lower grade/overseas apprenticeship?

Nathan Brown?

Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have a captain/coach.

Otherwise usually there is some sort of coaching background. I know Nathan Brown for instance was involved with the NSWRL in 2002 largely working with the Country Rugby League side. I can't account for Freddy's 2005-06 but I wouldn't be shocked if he got some experience during that period before he became Anderson's assistant in 07.

It it even known whether Benji has had no prior coaching experience? A lot of players get their coaching credentials as they're playing. It's not too uncommon they get experience working with U/16 rep sides etc.

Going through the head coaches...

Kevin Walters - Toowoomba/Ipswich/Catalans
Cameron Ciraldo - Panthers U/20s
Ricky Stuart - Bulldogs Premier League
Craig Fitzgibbon - Support Staff Roosters 2012
Wayne Bennett - QPOL/Ipswich
Justin Holbrook - Bulldogs NSW Cup (among other gigs)
Anthony Seibold - Celtic/Mackay/Melbourne U/20s
Craig Bellamy - Raiders President Cup
Adam O'Brien - Melbourne U/20s
Todd Payten - Tigers U/20s & Cowboys U/20s
Brad Arthur - Melbourne U/20s
Ivan Cleary - Roosters Premier League
Jason Demetriou - Pride/Cutters
Anthony Griffin - Dolphins/Broncos U/20s
Trent Robinson - Toulouse/Catalans
Andrew Webster - USA/Hull KR/Wests NYC/Eels NYC
Tim Sheens - None

Fitz and Sheens are the two stand-outs. As far as I'm aware, Sheens went from playing Group 6 Rugby League straight into the head coaching job at Penrith. Fitz retired in 2011 and became a member of the Roosters support staff the following year.

A lot of these coaches have far more extensive resumes than what I put forward, those are really just the highlights.

Freddy at the Roosters is the stand out for me, maybe Nathan Brown at the Dragons?

I think anytime you're coaching a guy you played next to, it usually doesn't go too well.

Freddy at the Roosters is the stand out for me, maybe Nathan Brown at the Dragons?

I think anytime you're coaching a guy you played next to, it usually doesn't go too well.

Agreed.
Freddy: So guys I really need you to dig in, play eyes up footy and really take it to them ok?
Random: Hey Freddy, remember that time you shit yourself in the lobby of that Hotel? Good times bruh
Freddy: ....

Used to be, maybe still is, unwritten rule to never coach players you played with.

Back in the day it wasn't uncommon to have a captain/coach.

Otherwise usually there is some sort of coaching background. I know Nathan Brown for instance was involved with the NSWRL in 2002 largely working with the Country Rugby League side. I can't account for Freddy's 2005-06 but I wouldn't be shocked if he got some experience during that period before he became Anderson's assistant in 07.

It it even known whether Benji has had no prior coaching experience? A lot of players get their coaching credentials as they're playing. It's not too uncommon they get experience working with U/16 rep sides etc.

Going through the head coaches...

Kevin Walters - Toowoomba/Ipswich/Catalans
Cameron Ciraldo - Panthers U/20s
Ricky Stuart - Bulldogs Premier League
Craig Fitzgibbon - Support Staff Roosters 2012
Wayne Bennett - QPOL/Ipswich
Justin Holbrook - Bulldogs NSW Cup (among other gigs)
Anthony Seibold - Celtic/Mackay/Melbourne U/20s
Craig Bellamy - Raiders President Cup
Adam O'Brien - Melbourne U/20s
Todd Payten - Tigers U/20s & Cowboys U/20s
Brad Arthur - Melbourne U/20s
Ivan Cleary - Roosters Premier League
Jason Demetriou - Pride/Cutters
Anthony Griffin - Dolphins/Broncos U/20s
Trent Robinson - Toulouse/Catalans
Andrew Webster - USA/Hull KR/Wests NYC/Eels NYC
Tim Sheens - None

Fitz and Sheens are the two stand-outs. As far as I'm aware, Sheens went from playing Group 6 Rugby League straight into the head coaching job at Penrith. Fitz retired in 2011 and became a member of the Roosters support staff the following year.

A lot of these coaches have far more extensive resumes than what I put forward, those are really just the highlights.

Fitzy did coach the NSW Country team in 2016 and 2017 before it was canned. Not sure if that counts.

From my understanding, Fittler had no prior coaching experience when taking over the Roosters role but I believe he was mentored by Ricky Stuart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • thenry
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.