NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Storm didn't complain, Raiders are unhappy and don't want him to go. It's the last card they have to play.

Smith said all his five offers were similar in money anyway.

Even if they send the deal back and want something amended it's not going to make him stay at the Raiders. It's a last desperate act.
Oh look, I believe that players should be able to sign on for whatever they want. But the NRL supposedly doesn't work that way, right? Like Jarryd Hayne being unable to sign for unders. Or the few other highly publicised cases where contracts were knocked back for being "too low". But those seem to be the exception rather than the rule, otherwise how can players willingly take less to stay with their junior club/teammates/etc? Hell the Roosters' squad was judged to be what, $2M over the cap at market value? So how can the NRL on one hand say that's fine, nothing to see there, but then tell Jack that no, he can't sign with Souths for $300k less than Canberra's offer because it's not market value?

I might be misunderstanding how it all works but it just seems so dumb IMO. Either the NRL sets a salary for each player (like Supercoach), or they should just stay out of the $$ amounts and scrutinise the contracts for their legality/compliance with the rules otherwise. I have no issues whatsoever if for example Haas is offered $1.5M a year from rugby, $1.2M a year from the Phins and chooses to stay with us for $900k. Surely that's his prerogative as a player to choose where he wants to suit up for. Same for Jack, if he wants to take $300k less to get out of Canberra and chase a premiership, he's entitled to do it in my view.

The NRL wanting to look at selective contracts in detail and potentially butt in about how much they deem a player is worth, is just another component of the shady shit that goes on with contracts, TPA's etc. And is yet another papercut maligning the game in this country. Whatever happened to the investigation into Smith's manager's claims of brown paper bags? It took the inept NRL days to even comment on it, and that amounted to "well if he knows something he should come forward to the Integrity Committee". So what happened with all that? Those crickets are deafening.

Smith also said that he didn't want to be paid a million dollars as he didn't want the public pressure that came with it. Hand on heart, you believe him?

There is a stigma attached to being a million-dollar player- the strange part is it shows insight and thought from Smith.

It doesn't mean he didn't sign for $920k.

I don't think Smith is worth a million anyway and struggle to think anyone would pay that for him.

Him saying I don't want to be a million dollar player is like me saying I don't want the pressure of dating Miranda Kerr.

Oh look, I believe that players should be able to sign on for whatever they want. But the NRL supposedly doesn't work that way, right? Like Jarryd Hayne being unable to sign for unders. Or the few other highly publicised cases where contracts were knocked back for being "too low". But those seem to be the exception rather than the rule, otherwise how can players willingly take less to stay with their junior club/teammates/etc? Hell the Roosters' squad was judged to be what, $2M over the cap at market value? So how can the NRL on one hand say that's fine, nothing to see there, but then tell Jack that no, he can't sign with Souths for $300k less than Canberra's offer because it's not market value?

I might be misunderstanding how it all works but it just seems so dumb IMO. Either the NRL sets a salary for each player (like Supercoach), or they should just stay out of the $$ amounts and scrutinise the contracts for their legality/compliance with the rules otherwise. I have no issues whatsoever if for example Haas is offered $1.5M a year from rugby, $1.2M a year from the Phins and chooses to stay with us for $900k. Surely that's his prerogative as a player to choose where he wants to suit up for. Same for Jack, if he wants to take $300k less to get out of Canberra and chase a premiership, he's entitled to do it in my view.

The NRL wanting to look at selective contracts in detail and potentially butt in about how much they deem a player is worth, is just another component of the shady shit that goes on with contracts, TPA's etc. And is yet another papercut maligning the game in this country. Whatever happened to the investigation into Smith's manager's claims of brown paper bags? It took the inept NRL days to even comment on it, and that amounted to "well if he knows something he should come forward to the Integrity Committee". So what happened with all that? Those crickets are deafening.

I think once the Raiders ring and say poor us look into this please- I think they really have to.

If the Raiders don't complain I don't think they'd be too worried because Souths would have the money and he's taking less to be with his best mate and win.

Ricky tires everyone out- I would take less money to not have to be exhausted by him every day.

There is a stigma attached to being a million-dollar player- the strange part is it shows insight and thought from Smith.

I don't think Smith is worth a million anyway and struggle to think anyone would pay that for him.

Him saying I don't want to be a million dollar player is like me saying I don't want the pressure of dating Miranda Kerr.
Did he say he didn't want to be a million dollar player while he had copious amounts of white powder up his nostrils?

But if Maranda is there, you'd take it, right? That's the point. You can say that because it's a hypothetical, but for Smith it was a realistic possibility.

I think the point the Raiders are trying to make is that, if the Souths' deal is substantially less on the cap, but propped up with 3rd party deals so the final value ends up more comparable, they want the NRL to verify that the 3rd party deals are in fact genuine and not dependent on him playing for a certain club. As was mentioned earlier, 3rd party deals are supposed to be completely independent from clubs, and sourced by the managers, so if the 3rd party deals are in fact a higher value when lodged with Souths, how come those same deals could not have been brokered should he have remained with the Raiders? I can understand some leeway, ie, Sydney-centric sponsors that have no market in Canberra. Or, say, dentists.

Josh Kerr to the Dolphins for 2024 on a 2yr deal.

This surely can't happen... how would Souths be able to afford Wighton this year

They've got some good players with some years left apart from Tapine - Horsburgh, Whitehead, Cotric, Starling, CHN, Fogarty, Savage looks really good. But yeah they're lacking real strike aren't they.

They've got some good players with some years left apart from Tapine - Horsburgh, Whitehead, Cotric, Starling, CHN, Fogarty, Savage looks really good. But yeah they're lacking real strike aren't they.
No doubt there are some solid players but few of those are the type of player that will drag you to a win you probably weren’t meant to have.

Gotta feel for Canberra. Without Wighton the team really has 0 star power. Tapine being their only stand out now that Papa is winding down
It's a victim of its location. How they could ever hope to sign or retain any decent player for a decent price is beyond me. The place has to be expensive, relatively boring compared to coastal towns and bigger cities (especially for young bucks), and full of pollies. It must be a hard sell for them, and without successes on the field.... well, I'll be interested to see who coaches there next, let alone who their next gun player is.

I never bought too much into the Wighton hype. He's alright, but too many dumb or sloppy plays to be a great. He's just big and strong, not an overly intelligent footballer who can steer a team to victory each week.

Souths' offer is far more appropriate for Wighton's services than the Raiders 1.1 million imo. Good for him taking a bit less and the Raiders have embarrassed themselves with their carry on.

It's a victim of its location. How they could ever hope to sign or retain any decent player for a decent price is beyond me. The place has to be expensive, relatively boring compared to coastal towns and bigger cities (especially for young bucks), and full of pollies. It must be a hard sell for them, and without successes on the field.... well, I'll be interested to see who coaches there next, let alone who their next gun player is.

I never bought too much into the Wighton hype. He's alright, but too many dumb or sloppy plays to be a great. He's just big and strong, not an overly intelligent footballer who can steer a team to victory each week.
You didnt even bring up the worst part of Canberra... the weather!!!

Who the **** wants to be playing there every winter

freezing GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.