RANT NRL vs Broncos: The book of bullshit

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I had to do it. When I get some time I'll scour the threads for all of the stuff we've added to "the list". I'll even fucking list and format it in chronological order so we get a timeline of bullshit.

This is prompted by another two steaming nuggets of bullshit being added to the list this week, spilling over to the point where it's no longer a list, it's a book.

If people want to add to the list just post it here and I'll tack it on. Bonus points if you can give me the exact date so I can order it correctly:

-----------------------------------
THE BOOK OF BULLSHIT
As compiled by Broncos HQ

2023:

June 26th: Ben Hunt denied release from Dragons to join us.

* On the surface it's a nothing event for a player to be denied a release. However when the rumours were circling about him wanting out, journalists were enthusiastically discussing what clubs could benefit from him, eg, Roosters, Titans. As soon as the possibility of him coming to Brisbane was revealed, all of a sudden it's a blight on the game, how dare a premiership contender poach a top-line player this late in the year. Despite Penrith doing it with TPJ, and the Storm doing it with Nofoaluma.

June 27th: Reece Walsh suspended for 3 weeks for swearing in the direction of the refs.
* In order to "stamp out" dissent and abuse towards the refs, Reece Walsh was referred straight to the judiciary and subsequently suspended for 3 weeks. Walsh denied the naughty words being aimed at the ref (it was towards teammate Pat Carrigan), and both Carrigan and opponent David Fifita, who was niggling him at the time, corroborated the story. The ref claimed to not even know he had been sworn at (and the "10 metre" extension of the penalty was due to repeated talkback), and was not called as a witness. After a split decision, the (adjudicator?) ruled a "guilty" verdict, based on video evidence. In contrast, earlier in the season, Jarome Luai was caught deliberately pushing a referee out of the way in order to celebrate a try, but was only given a fine as he claimed he didn't know it was a ref at the time (despite clearly looking in his direction and the bright fluoro uniform).

Screw the dumb fuckheads. Fox ***** can suck each other’s balls. No one sensible human out there. Every of them arseholes are all agenda driven against us.

If the Broncos don't officially start calling double standards like this out, there's no chance its going to stop.
Their choices are either take the high road and just keep taking it up the bum, or start whinging and calling this stuff out and hope it works while looking less professional.
Personally, at this stage I just want to see them winning so I don't care if they go all Ricky Stuart or whatever.

Screw the dumb fuckheads. Fox ***** can suck each other’s balls. No one sensible human out there. Every of them arseholes are all agenda driven against us.

Yes, but can you give me a specific date for this so I can add it to the list? ;)

On the media:

enough people cancel fox/kayo subscriptions and comment that it is due to being unhappy with the broncos treatment/witch-hunt in the media. Guaranteed there will be a raft of "goodwill" stories all of a sudden and increased advertising in brisbane, combined with stories about how people in brisbane all go for the dolphins so sydney people can still feel like their crap has had no negative outcomes.

Yes, but can you give me a specific date for this so I can add it to the list? ;)
Specific date as in:
1. You want to know when those Fox ***** suck each other balls OR
2. Want to know when those arseholes are all agenda driven against us?

Nofoaluma and Pangai are nothing like Hunt- Nofoaluma was a loan he had to go back- Hunt doesn't want to be on loan he wants a release. The only comparison is Harry Grant.

Pangai was released by the Broncos and they were happy to just save money they didn't care what he did or where he went until he joined the Dogs- Dogs didn't want him until 22 but Penrith had a hole and took him. He was free to join French art class or go garden until Dogs pre-season.

Hunt doesn't want to be on loan and Dragons care very much what he does.

I reckon we fight every charge as hard as we can. Keep highlighting the bullshit and eventually something will have to be done.

Nofoaluma and Pangai are nothing like Hunt- Nofoaluma was a loan he had to go back- Hunt doesn't want to be on loan he wants a release. The only comparison is Harry Grant.

Pangai was released by the Broncos and they were happy to just save money they didn't care what he did or where he went until he joined the Dogs- Dogs didn't want him until 22 but Penrith had a hole and took him. He was free to join French art class or go garden until Dogs pre-season.

Have to agree here.

In no world are TPJ, who we wanted gone ASAP anyway, and Nofo in the same universe as Hunt. Like uttering those names beside his is an insult.

You cannot blame St George for not letting him go. They get nothing, NOTHING from letting their best player and captain go. So might as well say "**** you, we're keeping him" to anyone poaching him. I've head multiple media personalities, Brandy, Cam Smith, Vossy say that you cannot blame Broncos, St Merge or Hunt for this situation and it's the NRL's fault for allowing the possibility of it even occurring.

Walsh's suspension is pretty BS considering Lui manhandled an official only a few weeks ago and got a small fine. Long term I think this is actually good for Walsh. Goes from media darling after Origin to "you done fucked up, boy". Three weeks to reflect on his behaviour, calm down, re-focus and come back with a point to prove. I'm really happy for Sailor and super excited to see him have a chance.

edit: From Broncos point of view, if there's a time to get suspended it's now. Dolphins and Bulldogs up next.

TPJ was agitating for a release for a long time before we let him go, then was signed up pretty much on the day he was released. If that's not sus then I don't know what to tell you

Have to agree here.

In no world are TPJ, who we wanted gone ASAP anyway, and Nofo in the same universe as Hunt. Like uttering those names beside his is an insult.

You cannot blame St George for not letting him go. They get nothing, NOTHING from letting their best player and captain go. So might as well say "**** you, we're keeping him" to anyone poaching him. I've head multiple media personalities, Brandy, Cam Smith, Vossy say that you cannot blame Broncos, St Merge or Hunt for this situation and it's the NRL's fault for allowing the possibility of it even occurring.

Walsh's suspension is pretty BS considering Lui manhandled an official only a few weeks ago and got a small fine. Long term I think this is actually good for Walsh. Goes from media darling after Origin to "you done fucked up, boy". Three weeks to reflect on his behaviour, calm down, re-focus and come back with a point to prove. I'm really happy for Sailor and super excited to see him have a chance.
I think you 2 are totally missing the point here.

It's not about the circumstances the player leaves the club. It's about the condemnation the club potentially getting the player receives.
The media was fine with it when it was the Roosters and/or titans, as soon as it looked likely he was coming to the broncos all hell broke loose. Good on St George, more clubs should stand up to players. About 6 clubs wanted hunt. Answer this honestly, if Hunt wanted to go to ANY other club would their be the level of criticism we are facing now? My guess is the deal would already be done actually.

I reckon a better title for this thread would actually be "nrl and media vs broncos", because that's what this is.

I don't think people are complaining so much about Hunt being denied a release etc.

It's more about the hypocrisy, they didn't complain when other premiership contenders got a player from a struggling team to boost there chances until it might benefit us.

And the change in the media's attitude after we entered the race for Hunt just highlighted their hypocrisy

I don't think people are complaining so much about Hunt being denied a release etc.

It's more about the hypocrisy, they didn't complain when other premiership contenders got a player from a struggling team to boost there chances until it might benefit us.

And the change in the media's attitude after we entered the race for Hunt just highlighted their hypocrisy

Do you think maybe Hunt is a bigger story then an unemployed second rower and a Cup winger?

I think you 2 are totally missing the point here.

It's not about the circumstances the player leaves the club. It's about the condemnation the club potentially getting the player receives.
The media was fine with it when it was the Roosters and/or titans, as soon as it looked likely he was coming to the broncos all hell broke loose. Good on St George, more clubs should stand up to players. About 6 clubs wanted hunt. Answer this honestly, if Hunt wanted to go to ANY other club would their be the level of criticism we are facing now? My guess is the deal would already be done actually.

I reckon a better title for this thread would actually be "nrl and media vs broncos", because that's what this is.

Why would the Dragons change their mind based on the club?

If the Broncos don't officially start calling double standards like this out, there's no chance its going to stop.
Their choices are either take the high road and just keep taking it up the bum, or start whinging and calling this stuff out and hope it works while looking less professional.
Personally, at this stage I just want to see them winning so I don't care if they go all Ricky Stuart or whatever.
I think we, as members, should respectfully email our concerns to the club. I have done it a few times, and their responses have been good tbh. Lodge being singed a special mention.

I'm not suggesting we spam them or carry on, but we need the club to have some balls here and call out the ridiculousness of this ban.

No hypocrisy about it because it's not the same situation.

1. TPJ wouldn't have been the difference in Penrith winning the premiership and Hunt could very well be. He's won Origin's for QLD.
2. If Broncos did what St George did with Hunt but TPJ was saying he's had enough and wants to go then I'd imagine the media would have treated that differently at the time.

Hunt is one of the best players in the comp, without question. That is why this is blowing up. Walking out of the club to ANY of the title favourites would have had equal reaction but like I posted earlier, it hasn't been all **** you Broncos from the media. A lot of the noise has been directed at the NRL for making this situation possible.

Do you think maybe Hunt is a bigger story then an unemployed second rower and a Cup winger?

Hunt was still Hunt when the destination was the Roosters or Titans. There was zero blowup or outrage, just "who can he slot in at 7 for". He didn't become a superstar between the 19th of June and the 26th of June.

Similarly, the players (or ex players) that are coming out now and saying how farcical it would be for a contender to jag a high quality players, this close to finals, and only pay a few months of salary, were strangely silent when the same benefit was being enjoyed by the Panthers and Storm.

The Hunt situation is more like the Payne Haas situation than any of the other events. Top flight player asks for a release. Club says No, GTFOH. End of story really.

It's the media reaction that is unpalatable, but that is their job. They pile on every club. Any little bit of negative news (unless it's about one of their own media darlings bashing their wives) they will pile it on. Look at Jarryd Hayne for eg. Luai gets absolutely blasted anytime he opens his mouth. They drove Todd Carney out of the game.

With regards to the NRL officials - it's definitely a NSW v QLD thing always has been - We will always be punished for coming into their turf and winning their premierships and the super league fiasco.... - always will be.... Until those old bastards go off to greener pastures I guess.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • davidp
  • Wild Horse
  • Midean
  • Harry Sack
  • Morkel
  • Bish
  • LGH
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • kman
  • Tmac
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  • Xzei
  • bb_gun
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.