NSW want 2 games in 2013

$12.5 mill. It means a lot more than that to Brisbane just in monetary terms.

So who exactly gets that 12.5m? The NRL or the QLD government?

Well if it's an extra 12.5m for the game it would be hard to knock it back. If Victoria want to pay that much over 5 years than that's an extra 62.5m for the game and along with a hopefully massive TV deal upgrade which is also a 5 year contract we could be in a very good financial position to essentially double the salary cap.

I don't like having one game in Melbourne a year but the game needs every bit of money it can get and we can't knock back 12.5m a year for 5 years.

Both the QLD and NSW governments will need to stump up some cash to keep Origin games played in these states. I'm pretty confident the money from the Victorian Government will get them the gong over the coming years.

There will be an uproar in both states but it just underlines how popular the concept is - and it's only going to get bigger (if that's even possible).

Ahhh well in that case I honestly think they can shove the money, lol.

Both the QLD and NSW governments will need to stump up some cash to keep Origin games played in these states. I'm pretty confident the money from the Victorian Government will get them the gong over the coming years.

There will be an uproar in both states but it just underlines how popular the concept is - and it's only going to get bigger (if that's even possible).

Given how ruthless Campbell Newman is being with slashing costs in QLD, I can't see him magically forking out cash to retain state of origin.

I don't mind having a neutral venue every year. Selling a game off each year makes plenty of coin which can be used to grow the game.

I'm inclined to agree although I think the current arrangement where Melbourne host a game every three years works well.

I'm inclined to agree although I think the current arrangement where Melbourne host a game every three years works well.

It is fine although a game in NZ is worthy as well maybe even one in Perth.

Yep I also wouldn't mind a single game per year being auctioned to the highest bidder if the money is worth it or if it goes to the player.

If for example someone wanted to pay $3m for one game and the NRL could pay that to the players that's almost an extra 100k per year.
The reason that's a good thing is because (theoretically) you have the 34 best players in the NRL playing SOO and by making origin a very well paying event we're much more likely to keep our best players in the NRL.

And Newcastle isn't that far to go for us Qlders after Nathan Tinkler buys the game every year

IF they did do an away game - as long as the stadium is FULL and FULL of REAL supporters...

EDIT: Thinking about this, my guess is there might be one game in Melbourne again next year and then Sooky will say that's good enough for him and take the coaching job for another 3 years. He'll count it a victory, be it half, in his head.

Last edited:
It'd be full regardless of where it's played. The real money is in the government grants to buy the games (at least from a Victorian perspective - don't think Qld or NSW governments pay for the right to host games; it's just always been a given that there will be games played in each state) and the television ratings. My guess is the total gate receipts make up a small portion of the money generated.

I don't mind having a neutral venue every year. Selling a game off each year makes plenty of coin which can be used to grow the game.

This. And coin aside, which frankly isn't that big of a sum, it's good to help grow the game in Melbourne. I know progress has been painfully slow but the more exposure League gets the faster it will happen.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Culhwch
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • Stix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • jd87
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Organix
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.