NEWS Oates: a bit surprised

Oh lead us, infallible one.
View attachment 8639
Strawman! Ha ha🙄
Unlike others on here I can admit to fallibility as I have demonstrated on many occasions. I'm hardly infallible!

Naturally you again missed the point but perhaps it's your blindness to blame. Your poor reasoning is on display. You say nothing of the other centres which by inference are all superior to Boyd in the other aspects of defence you highlighted. Unlike you I don't consider previous performance. I just look at the current effort and judge each on it's merits. That's the difference between you and I. Your judgement is clouded by previous games and you view everything with a jaundiced eye.

One last thing, your and you're are NOT interchangeable.

That tackling technique will end with Darius knocked out or with a neck or head injury .
I have seen him put his head in front of the attacking player a lot lately . Only a matter of time before it goes very wrong ...
If only we could get a fake doctor to rule him out as an HIA waiting to happen.

Isn't this an Oates thread?

In relation to the discussion going on, I agree with @heartly87 (as I'm sure most would've guessed). Tackles & missed tackles are a reasonable gauge of if a player can hit and stick, but they're not the be-all and end-all in establishing if someone is a good defensive player.

As I've highlighted in a few threads over the last couple of weeks, if you're keeping an eye on Boyd during defensive sets when the opposition is close to the line, the argument that he's a 'good defensive player' completely falls apart. He rushes out when he shouldn't, completely compromising the left-side defense. There's been numerous occasions over the last month where his poor reads and poor decision making defensively have lead to us conceding a try.

Of course, the fans who don't know a great deal about the pivotal role that centre's play in orchestrating the decision making on the edges would only see the winger rushing in off his wing, or the five-eighth being left in no man's land, and blame them for the try being let in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strawman! Ha ha🙄
Unlike others on here I can admit to fallibility as I have demonstrated on many occasions. I'm hardly infallible!

Naturally you again missed the point but perhaps it's your blindness to blame. Your poor reasoning is on display. You say nothing of the other centres which by inference are all superior to Boyd in the other aspects of defence you highlighted. Unlike you I don't consider previous performance. I just look at the current effort and judge each on it's merits. That's the difference between you and I. Your judgement is clouded by previous games and you view everything with a jaundiced eye.

One last thing, your and you're are NOT interchangeable.
Ok so your telling me that because Morris has missed 8 tackles, but only made 74 he is less of a defender then the man we should not point out. All because of one arbitrary stat that gives him an 83% effectiveness. Despite all the other evidence to the contrary.

That tackling technique will end with Darius knocked out or with a neck or head injury .
I have seen him put his head in front of the attacking player a lot lately . Only a matter of time before it goes very wrong ...

The Dale Copley technique! (edit: should mention i like Copley and enjoyed him destroying Roberts when they play against us -but he does have pretty big defensive issues.).

Last edited:
Ok so your telling me that because Morris has missed 8 tackles, but only made 74 he is less of a defender then the man we should not point out. All because of one arbitrary stat that gives him an 83% effectiveness. Despite all the other evidence to the contrary.
From the top. Your and you're are NOT interchangeable. I'm not telling you anything. You present a strawman argument. It's 'than' not 'then'. What other evidence? You've presented no evidence instead making unsubstantiated claims.

From the top. Your and you're are NOT interchangeable. I'm not telling you anything. You present a strawman argument. It's 'than' not 'then'. What other evidence? You've presented no evidence instead making unsubstantiated claims.
Thanks for the English lesson mate.You critique the grammar to avoid the reality your argument is wrong. You heard a stat you can drag out to try and justify your opinion. Do you know who the number one defensive centre is on the grounds of Badel stats Michael Chee Kam. You can watch a game to figure out Morris is a better defender then either bloke.

Thanks for the English lesson mate.You critique the grammar to avoid the reality your argument is wrong. You heard a stat you can drag out to try and justify your opinion. Do you know who the number one defensive centre is on the grounds of Badel stats Michael Chee Kam. You can watch a game to figure out Morris is a better defender then either bloke.
Ah no. The grammar fun is just a bonus. I addressed your points but you utterly failed to address mine. 🙄 It's not my opinion but factual evidence. Once again it's than and not then. I do have an opinion on posters discarding anything positive because it's counter to their intractable position. Anyway, you keep on hating and avoiding the facts and I'll keep seeing what's happening on the day.👌

Boyd fucking sucks at centre in all ways. **** him off out of the team.

Oh and Oates is out of form but IMO he's just reflecting the team as a whole. What's a winger with a garbage centre inside him supposed to do? Leap 45 metres in the air to catch the bombs we're constantly forced to launch from near half way? At least we know there's upside to Oates, even if he's no chance of finding it in 2020.

Last edited:
I do have an opinion on posters discarding anything positive because it's counter to their intractable position.

You do realise that's exactly what you're doing, except flipped, right? You've been essentially discrediting anything negative about Boyd's game for the last couple of years, for some reason unbeknownst to everyone on this forum. I vividly recall you refusing to admit defeat, even when presented with mountains and mountains of evidence last year when Boyd was refusing to put his body on the line defensively.

Do you genuinely believe that everybody else is wrong and that you're the only person capable of seeing through the 'smoke and mirrors' concealing the hidden truth that Boyd is actually still a competent NRL player?

Anyway, you keep on hating and avoiding the facts and I'll keep seeing what's happening on the day.👌

Do you even see what you're typing? On what planet is the rebuttal of 'I'll keep seeing what's happening on the day' a good one when the scores from the last 6 weeks have been -

6-34
0-59
18-20
6-27
12-30
16-26

A fair share of those points against us have come down Boyd's side of the field, many directly due to his poor defensive decision making.

Oh and Oates is out of form but IMO he's just reflecting the team as a whole. What's a winger with a garbage centre inside him supposed to do? Leap 45 metres in the air to catch the bombs we're constantly forced to launch from near half way? At least we know there's upside to Oates, even if he's no chance of finding it in 2020.
Coates is doing a pretty job of that to be fair.

You do realise that's exactly what you're doing, except flipped, right? You've been essentially discrediting anything negative about Boyd's game for the last couple of years, for some reason unbeknownst to everyone on this forum. I vividly recall you refusing to admit defeat, even when presented with mountains and mountains of evidence last year when Boyd was refusing to put his body on the line defensively.

Do you genuinely believe that everybody else is wrong and that you're the only person capable of seeing through the 'smoke and mirrors' concealing the hidden truth that Boyd is actually still a competent NRL player?

Do you even see what you're typing? On what planet is the rebuttal of 'I'll keep seeing what's happening on the day' a good one when the scores from the last 6 weeks have been -

6-34
0-59
18-20
6-27
12-30
16-26

A fair share of those points against us have come down Boyd's side of the field, many directly due to his poor defensive decision making.
See, here's the problem. You believe you speak for 'everyone'. This is what you wrote: Do you genuinely believe that everybody else is wrong?

No, I don't think EVERYONE is wrong, I believe some people are wrong insomuch as they cannot see Boyd's 2020 performance in isolation. That's my issue. Another is the refusal to acknowledge that the other centres also rush up, also make the wrong decision from time to time, also miss tackles. On this forum it appears that most simply cannot see past 2019 form or whenever he was the devil incarnate in the past.

Yes, I apparently am one of the few that isn't consumed with envy and spite when viewing Boyd's 2020 performance. Some criticism is warranted and as I've said in the past that some of his efforts have been less than stellar but the level of vitriolic spite hurled at the guy is as embarrassing as it is deplorable.

I do see what's happening on the day and it's not through the lense of the past. Boyd has been amongst the best contributors in a badly beaten team but simply glancing through the live game posts is sickening. The level of spite is hysterical and generally unjustified (where Boyd is concerned, not the overall team performance)

Time and again we hear Boyd's avoiding contact yet he's missed less than one tackle per match. If the rest were as solid we'd be mid-table. I'll keep telling it like it is NOW, in the present and Boyd doesn't have anything about which to be ashamed.

Last edited:
Ah no. The grammar fun is just a bonus. I addressed your points but you utterly failed to address mine. 🙄 It's not my opinion but factual evidence. Once again it's than and not then. I do have an opinion on posters discarding anything positive because it's counter to their intractable position. Anyway, you keep on hating and avoiding the facts and I'll keep seeing what's happening on the day.👌
Why is it fun? You do imagine yourself a bit of an intellect don't you? You understand science has proven that spelling/grammar has no link to intelligence, right? You can keep using it to feel superior all you like, it doesn't cover up the fact your argument stinks.

I believe some people are wrong insomuch as they cannot see Boyd's 2020 performance in isolation.

Well, that's the downfall of your entire point of view. You're telling me that you believe that people are coming in to post-game threads and criticising Boyd for performances he dished up prior to 2020?...

Surely even you don't believe some of the stuff you're saying at this point. It's just a completely illogical and irrational train of thought.

Sure, people can be harsh on Boyd, there's no denying that. Sure, people will criticise Boyd even when there's other players performing equally as poorly, if not more poorly than him in the specific game. That does NOT absolve Boyd of his performances week-in and week-out. The body of work is far too broad now to give him any benefit of the doubt or leeway.

I don't care what his effective tackle % is and I don't care what anecdotal evidence you want to accompany with that meaningless statistic. Everyone without an agenda on this forum has seen enough insipid performances from the bloke in the last two and a half seasons to last a lifetime. He's a complete joke, has been for a while. I would love to know if you're defending his efforts because you're not cognisant of how poor they actually are, or just because you love an argument and don't like admitting you're wrong (not that I'm one to talk in regards to the latter).

Why is it fun? You do imagine yourself a bit of an intellect don't you? You understand science has proven that spelling/grammar has no link to intelligence, right? You can keep using it to feel superior all you like, it doesn't cover up the fact your argument stinks.
Yes, I know spelling and grammar has no correlation to intelligence however it does with other things. Like you allegedly know something is incorrect yet you keep making the same mistake repeatedly. That does tell you something about a person!! I don't feel superior, it's not a feeling as such but I do admire that trait of mine to handle correction, make the appropriate change and move forward. You on the other hand just plow on making the same lazy error.

A second point is you have absolutely no idea what my argument is! You haven't listened, you haven't absorbed a thing such is the certainty you have in your cockeyed process. You just ignore everything. You'd make a great soldier.

You could prove me wrong though. In just a few sentences, encapsulate my thoughts on Boyd.

Well, that's the downfall of your entire point of view. You're telling me that you believe that people are coming in to post-game threads and criticising Boyd for performances he dished up prior to 2020?...

Surely even you don't believe some of the stuff you're saying at this point. It's just a completely illogical and irrational train of thought.

Sure, people can be harsh on Boyd, there's no denying that. Sure, people will criticise Boyd even when there's other players performing equally as poorly, if not more poorly than him in the specific game. That does NOT absolve Boyd of his performances week-in and week-out. The body of work is far too broad now to give him any benefit of the doubt or leeway.

I don't care what his effective tackle % is and I don't care what anecdotal evidence you want to accompany with that meaningless statistic. Everyone without an agenda on this forum has seen enough insipid performances from the bloke in the last two and a half seasons to last a lifetime. He's a complete joke, has been for a while. I would love to know if you're defending his efforts because you're not cognisant of how poor they actually are, or just because you love an argument and don't like admitting you're wrong (not that I'm one to talk in regards to the latter).
Astounding! I say a glance through the LIVE game threads and the following is what your jumbled brain translates for you!

" You're telling me that you believe that people are coming in to post-game threads and criticising Boyd for performances he dished up prior to 2020?..."

No, I'm not telling you that. I'm saying people are watching live and viciously commenting in the LIVE THREAD about Boyd when he in reality he is having a good, solid, professional dig. So many poisonous posts motivated by deeply held spite for perceived failures from the past.

I think he's having a good season, certainly a step up from 2019. Being relieved of the captaincy has done him a favour and he's one of the few doing a good job. He's a leader by example.

All you can see is negatives because that's what you want to see. I see both positives and negatives because I'm not consumed with rage and envy and because I can be dispassionate.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • MrMoore
  • HarryAllan7
  • Harry Sack
  • Swordfish
  • RolledOates
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Spoon
  • theshed
  • Lazza
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.