NEWS Oates: a bit surprised

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Corey Oates shares his thoughts on becoming the latest scapegoat:

“To be honest, I didn‘t see it coming and I don’t think I deserved to be dropped. I was heartbroken when the coach dropped me. It bloody hurt. I didn‘t take it lightly and I wasn’t happy, I was pretty pissed off for a couple of days and then I just thought there is no point kicking cans."

“It was a tough pill to swallow. I‘ve had a conversation with the coach and I said I will still be the same person around the team. I will just train and work hard to get my starting spot back.”

“I was a bit surprised that I was the only guy dropped and no-one else, but now I‘m back in the team with ’Lodgey’ out so I guess I get another chance. I feel I‘ve been doing a pretty decent job on the wing. It is what it is. It’s my 150th game and I’m coming off the bench so I will just do what I can and hopefully we can finally get a win against the Warriors.”

428e2c4755c3987ca7454ddbb57f91cc

Am I a joke to you?

“Seibs asked me last week if I wanted to be a back-rower or a winger and I said to him I want to play wing. Down the track, I might end up in the forwards, but right now I believe I‘m best suited to the wing with my role in this team. Looking at the team now, it would be pretty hard to get the edge back-row spot over David Fifita, Tevita (Pangai Jr) and Alex Glenn, it would be silly of me to think I could knock those blokes out of the team."

I believe I‘m best suited to the wing, but apparently I’m on the bench as a back-rower this week. If nothing happens to the backs, I’ll be in the forwards. The Titans game was one of those games where the ball wasn‘t coming to me. I was trying to go in there to look for it."

“I feel like my defence has been pretty good and it’s actually been better than other years. I don‘t feel like I have stuffed up in a major way in games, but once a coach makes his decision, they don’t go back on them.”

“People saying we don‘t care don’t understand how hard we try. When you lose five games in a row, everyone hurts, but as a team we need to be better across the board to beat the Warriors.”

McHunt

Good on you Corey we all know logical positivism was never your forte - just go out there and play like you played in your first 100 games.

Congrats on making the 150 BTW.

Good on you Corey we all know logical positivism was never your forte - just go out there and play like you played in your first 100 games.

Congrats on making the 150 BTW.
Lest we forget:

Screenshot 2020 07 04 List of Brisbane Broncos records   Wikipedia

I believe I‘m best suited to the wing, but apparently I’m on the bench as a back-rower this week. If nothing happens to the backs, I’ll be in the forwards. The Titans game was one of those games where the ball wasn‘t coming to me. I was trying to go in there to look for it."

“I feel like my defence has been pretty good and it’s actually been better than other years. I don‘t feel like I have stuffed up in a major way in games, but once a coach makes his decision, they don’t go back on them.”

Jesus Christ, he sounds pretty disillusioned with Seibold and I don’t blame him. It’s another case of awful management. You ask a player if he’s a winger or second rower, he says winger. Then you drop him before his 150th game and then he’s on the bench to play second row???? I know it’s through injury but Bullemor could’ve filled that spot. You can’t **** with players’ heads like that.

"but once a coach makes his decision, they don’t go back on them.” Wonder if this is Corey having a subtle dig at Pies' inability to dynamically adapt to situations as they change.

If he was speaking generically shouldn't he have said "Once a coach makes their decision" ?

Corey Oates shares his thoughts on becoming the latest scapegoat:

“To be honest, I didn‘t see it coming and I don’t think I deserved to be dropped. I was heartbroken when the coach dropped me. It bloody hurt. I didn‘t take it lightly and I wasn’t happy, I was pretty pissed off for a couple of days and then I just thought there is no point kicking cans."

“It was a tough pill to swallow. I‘ve had a conversation with the coach and I said I will still be the same person around the team. I will just train and work hard to get my starting spot back.”

“I was a bit surprised that I was the only guy dropped and no-one else, but now I‘m back in the team with ’Lodgey’ out so I guess I get another chance. I feel I‘ve been doing a pretty decent job on the wing. It is what it is. It’s my 150th game and I’m coming off the bench so I will just do what I can and hopefully we can finally get a win against the Warriors.”

View attachment 8465
Am I a joke to you?

“Seibs asked me last week if I wanted to be a back-rower or a winger and I said to him I want to play wing. Down the track, I might end up in the forwards, but right now I believe I‘m best suited to the wing with my role in this team. Looking at the team now, it would be pretty hard to get the edge back-row spot over David Fifita, Tevita (Pangai Jr) and Alex Glenn, it would be silly of me to think I could knock those blokes out of the team."

“People saying we don‘t care don’t understand how hard we try. When you lose five games in a row, everyone hurts, but as a team we need to be better across the board to beat the Warriors.”

McHunt

Credibility.

Oates quoted in 2018:

"We did (string media along) but I really do want to make the (back-row) move eventually ... "

Last edited:
Oates deserved to be dropped.

But, you can see why he's got the shits considering he's had Boyd on his inside all season A) continually fucking up defensive reads and B) essentially refusing to pass to Oates on several occasions.

he talked for years about wanting the backrow ... now says he want to be on the wing ... seems like no matter who the coach is he wants to play a different position than the coach wants him to ...

I'll tell you what Corey, when you go back to being the 20 try a season, athletic, and miraculously try line finding Corey Oates ... then and only then can you go back to the wing ... until then, it's riding the pine or out of the team altogether

Interesting he said he felt like other players should have been dropped too.

Team mates don’t usually say things like that.
It’s a shit comment, perfect example of not owning up to the situation and throwing team mates under the bus. I hope his team mates don’t read it.
[automerge]1593817579[/automerge]
He isn’t missing tackles because he runs in on a 45* angle and never gets near the ball carrier to begin with.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • davidp
  • Aldo
  • Manifesto
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • bert_lifts
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fitzy
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.