NEWS Oates: a bit surprised

It’s a shit comment, perfect example of not owning up to the situation and throwing team mates under the bus. I hope his team mates don’t read it.
[automerge]1593817579[/automerge]
He isn’t missing tackles because he runs in on a 45* angle and never gets near the ball carrier to begin with.
I hope his team mates do read it. They all need a huge reality check. First and foremost they are representing the Broncos when they pull on the jersey. The coach is only secondary.

Would the Cowboys have won the 2015 GF without JT's magic? Greeny looks pretty forlon and bereft of ideas without him out there.

My point is - players and their attitude make the team. Coaches are only there to steer the ship.

Pity Pies burnt his.

The thing that worries me about all this is he seems to have no idea why he was dropped. I thought that was why stats were invented for, and I thought Siebold was a master of them. Hopefully, next time he decides to get rid of someone, he lets them first know that they are failing, how they are failing, and what they can do to fix it.
I know that will be a lot of conversations with this team at the moment, but there will be opportunities to practice what he did with oates if he doesn't start being clear with what he wants.
Players shouldn't have to self-manage at this level. We have enough people that weaknesses should identified individually, and rectified within the larger group structure.
We did it with the approach to milford's kicking. Oates may always have a concentration problem but basic positioning shouldn't be a concern.
If on the other hand, he has been told and has refused to accept it, he shouldn't be playing at all, regardless of injuries.
Either way, something is very wrong with this team.

The thing that worries me about all this is he seems to have no idea why he was dropped. I thought that was why stats were invented for, and I thought Siebold was a master of them. Hopefully, next time he decides to get rid of someone, he lets them first know that they are failing, how they are failing, and what they can do to fix it.
I know that will be a lot of conversations with this team at the moment, but there will be opportunities to practice what he did with oates if he doesn't start being clear with what he wants.
Players shouldn't have to self-manage at this level. We have enough people that weaknesses should identified individually, and rectified within the larger group structure.
We did it with the approach to milford's kicking. Oates may always have a concentration problem but basic positioning shouldn't be a concern.
If on the other hand, he has been told and has refused to accept it, he shouldn't be playing at all, regardless of injuries.
Either way, something is very wrong with this team.

or Oates is simply deluding himself, which is why he said “I feel I‘ve been doing a pretty decent job on the wing."

He also said he had a conversation with the coach. Oates would know exactly why he was dropped and what he needs to work on, he just may not agree with it

Oates deserved to be dropped.

But, you can see why he's got the shits considering he's had Boyd on his inside all season A) continually fucking up defensive reads and B) essentially refusing to pass to Oates on several occasions.

I don't agree. Boyd has been solid in the centres, particularly defensively. His ability to read the attack has always been good.

The times Boyd hasn't passed, he's either scored himself or knew the play wasn't on and died with the ball. Better that than throwing to Oates who will get taken in to touch.

I don't agree. Boyd has been solid in the centres, particularly defensively. His ability to read the attack has always been good.

The times Boyd hasn't passed, he's either scored himself or knew the play wasn't on and died with the ball. Better that than throwing to Oates who will get taken in to touch.

Couldn't disagree more, especially in regards to the defense point. There have been at least 3 occasions over the last couple of weeks where Boyd has rushed up in defense when he clearly shouldn't have, resulting in Milford being in a 2v1 situation or resulting in Oates being forced to match his defensive aggression, thus leaving the corner wide open.

There's a lot more to defense than tackling, Boyd is absolutely killing us on both sides of the field.

Regardless, this is an Oates thread, so we'll save the Boyd hate for some other time I suppose.

I can tell you the final straw, it was the run he made when we finally had an attacking set and he got hit right on the ball and dropped it cold, early in the count. It's what has been killing us all season.

I am a big fan of Oates and still believe he can regain his form as one of the best wingers in the world. But his handling has let him down. The problem is that it's a team-wide problem. You can't drop the whole team. But you can sure as **** identify the issue and judging by Oates' comments it sounds like Seibold hasn't identified it, or at least hasn't drilled the importance of possession in to the team.

He also said he had a conversation with the coach. Oates would know exactly why he was dropped and what he needs to work on, he just may not agree with it
It's not the first time he's said he doesn't have a clue what's going on. I think his tendency to flap his gums unchecked is our best window into what Seibold is like as a coach.

Last edited:
It's not the first time he's said he doesn't have a clue what's going on. I think his tendency to flap his gums unchecked is our best window into what Seibold is like as a coach.

Both our wingers should be told not to run in. Then we'll see the lack of decent centres for what they are. This was a huge problem on the right last year with Isaako always coming in.
Coates at least managed to stay on his man a couple of tackles from the little i have seen. I guess it hasn't been coached out of him yet.

I believe I‘m best suited to the wing, but apparently I’m on the bench as a back-rower this week. If nothing happens to the backs, I’ll be in the forwards. The Titans game was one of those games where the ball wasn‘t coming to me. I was trying to go in there to look for it."

“I feel like my defence has been pretty good and it’s actually been better than other years. I don‘t feel like I have stuffed up in a major way in games, but once a coach makes his decision, they don’t go back on them.”

Jesus Christ, he sounds pretty disillusioned with Seibold and I don’t blame him. It’s another case of awful management. You ask a player if he’s a winger or second rower, he says winger. Then you drop him before his 150th game and then he’s on the bench to play second row???? I know it’s through injury but Bullemor could’ve filled that spot. You can’t **** with players’ heads like that.

I thought he didn’t believe he was a winger...

or Oates is simply deluding himself, which is why he said “I feel I‘ve been doing a pretty decent job on the wing."

This. Oates does know why he was dropped, and he said as much. He said: "“I feel like my defence has been pretty good and it’s actually been better than other years."

He wouldn't have said that if Seibold hadn't told him his defence is an issue, whether or not his handling was as well as @Morkel said above.

The inference from that comment is that Seibold has been putting defence up as a major concern and that he is identifying those players whose defensive efforts are sub-par, which they are, and so good on him.

Read this article yesterday and thought it sums up where this team is at. Was pretty surprised he came out and publically had a go at the coach and his teammates (saying he shouldn't be the only player dropped). If he did this at Melbourne or the Roosters, he would have got his arse kicked by the senior group.

Also shows where his head is at in terms of his own game basically saying he is going alright (when he isn't) and I think some of his teammates are in the same boat.

Also, what is the go with the flip flop on positions? Thought he wanted to be in the forwards?

Which is why I made my last statement. In that case he should not be in the team. He should put aside with someone to help work on the issues with his game (unfortunately q cup isn't available) and the counciled about what brought him to this point.
If this means we lose him, so be it. It's not nice but it's fairly simple. Under no circumstances would I be picking him on the bench, let alone starting team until he has chosen to try and address what you have spoken about with both his game and attitude.
If (and I say if) he has refused to listen, then there is a surgical requirement to a remove a chip on his shoulder. That thing will ruin his career.

**** me this guy is fucking delusional if he doesn't know why he was dropped.

All the statements he is making is putting no accountability on himself.

"Been going alright in defence"... yeah just like the knights game where you had 3v1 against you... defence is communication as much as tackling and reads, and he needed to be yelling at his inside men to get out there.

He's dropping the ball cold, which can be a huge impact on the team as his carries are typically out of our own end.... the drop on tackle 1 last week was fucking huge in the context of the game

He's bombing tries due to either a lack of intensity or inability... we've seen him make crazy put downs before so it can't be ability. Would Herbie have fucked up the knights try where his entire body ended up in the ingoal.

If his attitude is the common mindset of the group then it is totally fucked ... basically a mindset of "not my job"

Jesus Christ, he sounds pretty disillusioned with Seibold and I don’t blame him. It’s another case of awful management. You ask a player if he’s a winger or second rower, he says winger. Then you drop him before his 150th game and then he’s on the bench to play second row???? I know it’s through injury but Bullemor could’ve filled that spot. You can’t **** with players’ heads like that.

Oates has said he sees himself in the second row and wanted to make the transition.
I think Siebs is making a lot of mistakes but I'm not gonna blame him for this.
If anyone is confused here it's Corey.

Oates has said he sees himself in the second row and wanted to make the transition.
I think Siebs is making a lot of mistakes but I'm not gonna blame him for this.
If anyone is confused here it's Corey.
The thing is, when you listen to player interviews, the same thread is coming through. They think they are playing OK. They mouth meaningless words about doing better but they rarely address anything specific.
Either the whole team is deluded (in which case, why are they starting?) or there something wrong.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.