ODIs vs England

• Thread starter Major JW Hochstetter
  • Start date
What a great match and what a great innings by Watto. One of the best ODI innings you will ever see.

Jeba said:
What a great match and what a great innings by Watto. One of the best ODI innings you will ever see.

QFT, I was hoping to see Watto dedicate his MOM award to Flood appeal and his innings to his hometown though.

Thsi is why I prefer a 50 over match to a 20 over match any day.

That was special from Watson.

He's one of those once in a generation players. Would've easily made it into that late 90's/early 2000's team IMO (in both forms of the game!).

Ffs... said:
Thsi is why I prefer a 50 over match to a 20 over match any day.

Agreed.

This match was One Day cricket at its best. Pitch was prepared perfectly, great performance from both sides, plenty of controversy with the no-ball incident once again, and most of all, one of the great match-winnings innings of all time. Sensational game of cricket.

I rate Watson's innings tonight up there with Mark Waugh's 173 against the West Indies around 10 or so years back, and also Michael Bevan's match-saving innings against New Zealand around the same time.

Jeba said:
Major JW Hochstetter said:
Hauritz's darts would be good here I reckon, rather than Doherty.

Did Doherty learn anything from his Ashes experience? ie - BOWLING TOO FAST. Consistently mid-90's, too fast for an offie, makes him completely ineffective.

Couldn't agree more. That's the problem with just about all our young spinners, particularly Smith. It shits me no end seeing a Leggie pushing 90 clicks at times, leave that crap to Afridi.

Beer, and to a lesser extent North, were the only spinners to give the ball consistent air this summer.

BTW, farking awesome knock by Watto. Looked rooted half way through it, but didn't throw away his wicket (although he came close a couple of times).

Browny said:
Bucking Beads said:
Get dussey out imo. I suppose ferguson plays the role of mussey so he will have to wait his turn

I remember a few games where mussey and ferguson carved the middle overs together. Reminds me of Dean Jones and Simon O'Donnel with the running between wickets

Looks like you get your wish, Mussey doing his hammy

Re: Re: ODIs vs England

Browny said:
Browny said:
Bucking Beads said:
Get dussey out imo. I suppose ferguson plays the role of mussey so he will have to wait his turn

I remember a few games where mussey and ferguson carved the middle overs together. Reminds me of Dean Jones and Simon O'Donnel with the running between wickets

Looks like you get your wish, Mussey doing his hammy
Big lose but ferguson is all class. Hope hussey is ok for the world.cup

I don't know a lot about cricket, but that was a good game last night. Enjoyed watching Watson, he seems like such a powerful player, especially when he's batting with M. Clarke, who seems like a weasel...

Ghibli said:
I don't know a lot about cricket, but that was a good game last night. Enjoyed watching Watson, he seems like such a powerful player, especially when he's batting with M. Clarke, who seems like a weasel...

[icon_lol1. [eusa_clap.gi So true!

Hahahaa, he just seems to 'dab' his bat at balls, with little intent to actually strike it. While Watson was really connecting with the ball and following through with his power. I guess that's what happens when a player is out of form (I only know this from media).

Clarke never really had the power to his game and lately he doesnt have much else.

His ODI batting has always been tap it around for 1's and 2's.

His brief stint as opener showed his limitations as well as his T20 innings

I remember when he first came on the scene, he used to have all the shots and plenty of controlled aggression behind them. He threw away his wicket more often than not, but got his runs in a hurry either way.

Now he struggles to chip it over the infield and strike over 50 - and still throws his wicket away.

Apart from the big bag of runs he scored in Tests prior to his current slump in form, he's been generally patchy for someone of his talent ever since came back from being dropped the first time.

He's played some great innings in his time in all forms of the game - and will no doubt play plenty more - but if he could bring back that aggressive streak to his game and at the same time cut out those incredibly dumb shots he gets out to square of the wicket all the time, he'd be well on his way to being a more valuable contributor to the team.

All he's doing at the moment is trying to play a sensible innings (like the other night), gets himself set and then throws his wicket away.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
I remember when he first came on the scene, he used to have all the shots and plenty of controlled aggression behind them. He threw away his wicket more often than not, but got his runs in a hurry either way.

Now he struggles to chip it over the infield and strike over 50 - and still throws his wicket away.

Apart from the big bag of runs he scored in Tests prior to his current slump in form, he's been generally patchy for someone of his talent ever since came back from being dropped the first time.

He's played some great innings in his time in all forms of the game - and will no doubt play plenty more - but if he could bring back that aggressive streak to his game and at the same time cut out those incredibly dumb shots he gets out to square of the wicket all the time, he'd be well on his way to being a more valuable contributor to the team.

All he's doing at the moment is trying to play a sensible innings (like the other night), gets himself set and then throws his wicket away.

Well said. He's similar to Mark Waugh in a lot of ways, except Waugh a) was a much better, natural strokeplayer, b) was much better at getting quick singles if he wasn't timing the ball well, and c) learnt how not to throw his wicket away in time.

Since he came on the scene, many compared Clarke to Waugh, but by comparison he's been a myth.

Waugh's coming of age was the 230-odd run partnership with Steve in the deciding Test in the 1995 series in the West Indies, which Australia won and became the number 1 team in the world. It lifted him from being a talented batsmen with a temperament problem to being a genuine top order star.

Clarke has had some innings which looked like similar defining moments, but he hasn't pushed on with it. If the selectors had any balls at all they would drop him.

PS: Why TF with a 7 match series are they playing them 5 days apart? That's ludicrous. It'll go on for weeks!

I remember the good old days when they played matches Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday/Friday, and if it was a 3-team comp, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday.

Jeba said:
Bring back the Tri-Series!!!

+1!

Just shorten it. It used to be 4 games against each team then 3 match finals.

Just make it 2 games against each team and 1 final. Still get your precious 7 ODIs. Problem would be only 5 would involve Australia (assuming they make the final) so either Hobart or Perth would miss out on seeing the Aussies.

Coxy said:
Jeba said:
Bring back the Tri-Series!!!

+1!

Just shorten it. It used to be 4 games against each team then 3 match finals.

Just make it 2 games against each team and 1 final. Still get your precious 7 ODIs. Problem would be only 5 would involve Australia (assuming they make the final) so either Hobart or Perth would miss out on seeing the Aussies.

Correct on all accounts. I guess it's a money thing, not many would pay to go watch England v someone like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

I blame T20 again [icon_wink Before it came along, the ODI's involving Australia were guaranteed sell-outs, and the games not involving Australia would still attract decent crowds. But these days everyone just wants to go to T20 games. The only good T20 is the Big Bash!!!!!

The series we had against New Zealand and South Africa in around 01/02 was epic, even though Australia didn't even make the final.

Active Now

• mitch222
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • Aldo
  • Harry Sack
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Porthoz
  • Justwin
  • barker
  • Xzei
  • ForlovejAl
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.