Official - Broncos sign Darius Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Error Page

DARIUS Boyd is a Bronco again, which means Wayne Bennett has just one more piece of his Brisbane roster puzzle to solve.

The troubled Newcastle star was officially released by the Knights on Friday night.

He will be announced as a Bronco during a special presentation at Red Hill on Wednesday.

Boyd, who suffers from a form of depression, will be Brisbane’s fullback.

His official release from the Knights is what triggered the Broncos releasing Josh Hoffman to the Gold Coast on Thursday.

It has been an exceptionally busy week at Brisbane’s headquarters.

Martin Kennedy, Dave Hala and Hoffman have all been released, prop recruit James Gavet was revealed to have a serious shoulder injury and Boyd is free to sign the contract all the roster shuffling was designed to allow.

On his first day at Red Hill, Bennett declared Boyd was their answer to the critical fullback position despite also possessing Anthony Milford, Ben Barba, Super League import Greg Eden and Hoffman at the time.

“They all bring different things but Darius is the best of them all,” he said.

Bennett is a key reason for the success of Boyd, the equal leading try-scorer in Maroons history.

They are best friends, with Boyd following Bennett from Brisbane to St George, to Newcastle and now back to Brisbane.

His release is a blow for the Knights but there was little they could do as Boyd had a “Bennett clause” in his contract.

“The details of the release are a confidential matter between management and Boyd,” a Knights statement read.

“The Club wish to thank Boyd for his contribution to the Knights and wish him well for the future.”

The Broncos believe they need one more ingredient to make their 2015 campaign a success, “mongrel”.

However, Bennett ruled out a play for Neville Costigan who quit Super League club Hull KR to remain in Australia for personal reasons.

Speculation was rife that Costigan had quit Super League to reunite with Bennett at Brisbane.

“We have no interest in Neville and outside of that, nothing is happening,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail on Friday.

There are still several NRL stars available who could bring the aggression Brisbane wants.

Ex-Maroons prop Antonio Kaufusi also quit his English club this month and revealed he already had an NRL club lined up.

St George Illawarra still need to shed players with Trent Merrin the most attractive prospect for rival clubs but they would prefer to release prop Jack Stockwell.

While the Sydney Roosters are reportedly considering releasing Frank Paul-Nuuausala after Martin Kennedy returned to Bondi this week.

Brisbane have enough front-row cover to wait for the right prospect to emerge.

They also want to ensure they have significant salary cap space for a 2016 raid.

There is a glut of talent at the end of next season including Manly duo Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, and North Queensland star Jason Taumalolo.

Taumalolo has delayed all contract talks until the summer but will be highly sought after and could become the highest paid forward in the NRL.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: [Rumour] - Broncos to sign Darius Boyd

What is this special presentation on Wednesday ....

This has to be a joke right?

“They all bring different things but Darius is the best of them all,” he said.

Bennett actually said those words? Seems like a big "**** YOU" to all those players.

*sigh*

It was inevitable.

Stephen-colbert-celebration-gif.gif

image.php

anchorman.jpg

image.php

yaylebron.gif

image.php

It'll be funny when they unveil Boyd in the new Jersey. What a joke this club has become.

Maybe you should support the diehards? The irony would be delicious

Everyone does know he has not officially signed yet.

I never liked Boyd, and I have no respect for him not being able to try to prove himself away from Bennett. I don't see a lot of difference between Barba or Boyd at fullback, I don't really rate either anymore. We can't keep them both, just like with Kennedy and Hannant. Hopefully he at least puts in a big effort next year to show everyone it's not just Bennett carrying him. I doubt I'll ever like him even with him playing for us though.

Boyd will go close to being our best player next season. Would put money on it. I couldn't give 2 ***** about peoples opinion on his and Bennetts relationship, as long as he plays at his best. He understands Bennetts game plan and back home, having received the help he apparently needed, he will once again be able to focus on his football.

That being said, my biggest problem with this signing has always been the possible flow on effect it would have with player retention. This signing locks up our number 1 for quite a few seasons and I, like a lot of others, have grave fears for what that may mean for some of the talented members of our 20's squad.

Very happy with Boyds signing and although unfortunately we can't keep all our juniors if they are any good, they will find a gig somewhere else. What people must understand is this, if they leave, they haven't died ! Perhaps they ply their trade somewhere else for a few years then maybe they return to their spiritual home. If they have the desire to play for the Broncos one day and they have matured and developed they may very well get a chance to 'come home'. Quite often taking a bit less to do so. Remember.they don't die !

Geez, what is this little fella going to do once Bennett gives up his coaching gig for good.

Geez, what is this little fella going to do once Bennett gives up his coaching gig for good.

Hahaha that was exactly what I was going to say.

Bennetts contract ends in three years. Boyd will be about 30. Does that mean he retires as well with potentially 3-5 years left in him? It will be interesting to see what happens there.

The most surprising thing after all the build up is how little I actually care. When we first signed Bennet I was furious at the thought of lording Barba, then after some thought I was leaning more towards wanting Boyd but now it's all said and done I was just bored reading that article.

Can't wait to have him on board, also totally agree with [MENTION=8311]Harry Sack[/MENTION] who gives a flying **** what his relationship with Bennett is, all that matters is his performance and I reckon he'll star for us.

We'll finally have a good fullback.

Boyd
Milford
Hunt
McCullough

That's a very good spine.

Boyd
Milford
Hunt
McCullough

Best thing is it's settled and should stay that way for more than one season rather than being tinkered with constantly - no Nuffman, Hoffnuff or Lollace to soil the party.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.