Official: Game 1 - Maroons Team

I think the whole mobility thing is a bit overrated. NSW has been trying it for about 3 years now. Size in the front row is important. They do usually seem to get us with dummy half running, but since they don't seem to have too many defensive players, Farah will have to make a lot of tackles which will limit his attacking game. And they don't really have any replacement dummy half runners on the bench like they did in the past. Players like Wing coming on were their only real threat most of the time.

Fair points Alec. Was too busy thinking about our pack that I overlooked the fact that the likes of Creagh, Farah, Williams and Tamou will have to handle the barrage of Queenslanders heading their way.

And you're right, there is NO spark on the NSW bench apart from TRex's size which I doubt will be as effective in Origin as it is at club level.

edit: re. Rocky.. Yeah, NSW go uptempo in patches and look really dangerous but can never keep it going for long enough.

I think the whole mobility thing is a bit overrated. NSW has been trying it for about 3 years now. Size in the front row is important. They do usually seem to get us with dummy half running, but since they don't seem to have too many defensive players, Farah will have to make a lot of tackles which will limit his attacking game. And they don't really have any replacement dummy half runners on the bench like they did in the past. Players like Wing coming on were their only real threat most of the time.

I think Buhrer will fill that role, and he's robust enough to play other positions too.
Size in the front row IS important, and I think the addition of Tamou COULD be enough to level the two packs up. Gallen won a game almost single-handedly last year; Tamou should add a bit of steel up front to support him. If these guys can get the big blokes like Petero and Hannant on the back foot our fast, agile forwards should be able to exploit them.
This is hopeful from me, obviously; but the middle is the only place I can see us getting through. Uate through the air is a chance of scoring, but if we want to really challenge the Queenslanders we HAVE to do it in the guts.

There are plenty of question marks but here are some answers...

Slater
GI
JT
Cronk
Smith

If they perform, we win, it's that simple.

They won't be much use if the QLD forwards can't get on top or at least match NSW. Not that I think this will be an issue though.

Great QLD team. Don't write off NSW. Will be another close series and whoever wants his more can win.

I'm always nervous at Origin time and all of this cockiness from QLDers is making me a bit angry to be honest. Have we NOT learned anything? Bragging that we can't be beaten is NSW's go and why we hate them. Apart from Creagh and Buhrer who haven't been proven at Rep level their team is excellent - Robbie Farrah was dangerous the year he played in Melbourne with Campese.

---
I'm really glad we selected Gillett instead of DCE, just shows that QLD aren't little sheeps and pick the best/strongest player, not the flavour of the month. DCE is a halfback and will get his go. I think he will end up being better than cooper cronk in a year or two if he continues to improve and will steal his spot from under him.

Loving the prospect of seeing GI running off JT and cronk in his current form.

The team with the most passion should win the series, providing they have ample mateship and believe in themselves.

Just watched an "interview" between Hodges and Gillett (like Fillet, he says ha ha) on Broncos TV. Couldn't get over how BIG he looked standing next to Hodges. I thought he was smaller. There you go.

I saw him at the shop and was surprised how small he was........... I thought on TV he looked 6'6 and indestructable. Lol.

----

Have you seen the refs for this game - Chicken legs cecchin and Ben Cummins. LOL! Seriously?

I saw him at the shop and was surprised how small he was........... I thought on TV he looked 6'6 and indestructable. Lol.

----

Have you seen the refs for this game - Chicken legs cecchin and Ben Cummins. LOL! Seriously?

Well mrslong, I was at the same shop. I never knew you were 7'6. No wonder he looked small, and now I know why you are mrslong! :)

They won't be much use if the QLD forwards can't get on top or at least match NSW. Not that I think this will be an issue though.

Hence, the forward pack needs to meet the Blues'

Do that, those players perform, Yahtzee, Bingo, Uno we win.

Well, they were completely dominated us upfront yet we still hung on thanks to JT, Smith & our backs.

The victory may mask that effort but there's no doubt that our forwards need to improve.

I wonder if any heads will roll? Scott & Civo were exposed early, Sammy was a bit quiet & the only thing Taylor threatened all night was the bathroom!

I don't think we should make any unforced changes but I wouldn't be opposed to starting Hannant and placing Bulla on the bench for a bit of balance.

What do you guys think?

QLD don't need to make any changes. I don't have much doubt that Petero's tank is nearing empty, but he deserves to go out on his terms. Things like letting Petero play out this series after all he's done is what separates us from the circus selection table of NSW, and though I wasn't so sure he should have played this series, I've come to the conclusion they he deserves to see it out.

Honestly, whilst our team sucked in parts, it's just not the QLD way to make changes based on one game. I think the pack will improve next game (how can it not). People forget too that Matt Scott has only played twice in two months. He really is QLD's forward leader these days and his return to full fitness and form will play a big role.

definitely

So if QLD were to lose game 2 based on a below par performance of the fowards again, with Petero being a liability (lets face it, he didn't set the world on fire in game one, although he wasn't alone), would you still prefer to see him in the decider over say someone like Josh McGuire who might handle the pace a little better?

I really hope this decision doesn't have to be made though, as it wouldbe a shame for him to be dropped.

theres no doubt that Peteros form and game 1 performance definitely does NOT justify selection in game 2, but he'll be there anyway.

Matt Scott doesn't justify selection based on game 1 performance, but we all know he's the best prop in the world.
NSW ambushed us, some players were clearly not 100% imo, and that will quickly show in an Origin game, but they worked hard to limit the damage in the ruck, and defended well pretty much anything NSW threw at us (not much I admit). So much so that besides 2 dropped bombs were the only way they scored, and were never really a threat to our tryline, except for that one time we held them up in goal...

I am sure we'll see this same forward pack wanting to prove to themselves and the world that they are much better than what game 1 showed, and will dominate NSW's forward pack in games 2 and 3.

Active Now

• john1420
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • davidp
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Mister Wright
  • Allo
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Notorious
  • Xzei
  • sooticus
  • kiwibronco
  • Shane Tronc
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.