Official - Ivan Henjak Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porthoz said:
Henjak’s sacking and the chairman’s resignation may be pointing to a cleanup of the ranks, or indeed prepare Benny’s return!

It could be a WB coup to take over the entire club.

WB & Paul White are mates.

White gets rid of Henjak & then the chairman quits. :shock:

WB could get his family to be on the board.

OMG, we are doomed if Ben Ikin is appointed. [icon_evillaugh [icon_razz1

Yeah, I think Griffin could well become long term coach. I get a Craig Bellamy vibe from him. Not that he's a **** that wants to flaunt the rules and play a boring game, but one who has a natural talent to coaching and will get the best out of the players he's got.

I don't expect miracles in 2011. With the squad we have I would put a top 8 finish as a pass mark, and a top 4 finish as a top effort. I think what will be key is how the players play, not just in terms of quality but in terms of their attitude.

While I'm not one to write off what Ivan did the last 2 seasons, there were definite periods where the players didn't look like they gave a **** what was happening. That was never the case under Bennett. I would put my money on that being a key point raised in the review.

I didn't know much about Griffin until today reading about him in the Courier Mail and various other internet sites. I have to say I am excited by his appointment and hope he does well because he could be the bloke to coach us to our next premiership.

Are we getting a replacement Assistant Coach??? Also what possible role could Henjak have if he came back mid year??

This is what I have been told but don't quote me on this.
Towards the end of last year when the Broncos was making a charge to the finals, Henjak wanted to rush Hodges back into the team. Hodges wasn't ready and didn't think it was a good idea. But Henjak insisted he should play.
In the last round, Lockyer wanted to play baldy but Henjak overruled him.
That is when Lockyer lost faith in Henjak.
During the off season, word got around that Henjak couldn't care less if Inglis signed or not as he thought Inglis was just as lazy as Hodges.
In the end, Inglis never signed.
Fast forward to the first trial match. Hodges wanted to play the first trail as he thought it would be easier first game back than traveling to Alice Springs. Henjak overruled him.
During this week there was also an incident with Gagai.
That's when two senior Bronco players went to Paul White.
After the game on Saturday, apparently the first thing Henjak said in the sheds to the players was I told you so in relation to Hodges first game back. I am the boss, I know best sort of thing.

mrslong said:
so basically the lunatics are running the assylum? great.
Why?
It's becoming clearer and clearer that Henjak didn't listen to or have the respect from his players, and they went over his head to the CEO, and let him deal with it.
It takes a lot of humility to be a good leader of men, and Henjak doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word... [icon_shru

Porthoz said:
mrslong said:
Why?
It's becoming clearer and clearer that Henjak didn't listen to or have the respect from his players, and they went over his head to the CEO, and let him deal with it.
It takes a lot of humility to be a good leader of men, and Henjak doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word... [icon_shru

Henjak may have had his issues but you can bet your left nut that the players are carrying on like spoilt brats.

people need to remember that the Broncos wouldve made the finals last year had we not had half of our first choice lineup missing for half the season. we went VERY WELL to even be within a cooee of the finals. but now all the idiots will come out of the woodwork if/when we make the finals this year saying that it was all henjaks fault that we missed out last year.

in 2 years, henjak took a team that consisted of probably 60% nobodies, a few over the hill players, and a few boring old players that WB loved for no apparent reason, and turned us into a team of eager, young, talented players who showed they could match it with the best - knocking the short-odds favourites the dragons out of the comp in 2009, and again putting up a fight in 2010 - when we have our full team on the field.

2 years isnt enough time for a new coach taking over a team thats at its weakest point in its history, and was the youngest team in NRL history, to be sacked based on performance. if it was for other reasons then fair enough, but they should just come out and say it was for that.

the fact that the chairman has resigned over the incident tells me that the Broncos management went about this the wrong way.

It's a fine line here. Yes, the coach should have the right to say who plays and who doesn't and the players should respect that. BUT, the coach has to maintain a respectful relationship with the players.

It's like any managerial position. If you are dismissive of people who report to you, if you don't actively listen to their input, if you don't make them feel respected, then you in turn will get no respect.

If there's a relationship where there's no mutual respect, then it's untenable.

That's the situation here, IMO.

Bucking Beads said:
Porthoz said:
mrslong said:
Why?

Henjak may have had his issues but you can bet your left nut that the players are carrying on like spoilt brats.
This.

I liken it to a new step-mom or step-dad. "You're not my real coach, wayne's my real coach. I hate you. You can't tell me what to do"

But to be honest it was ALWAYS going to happen post Wayne. He was the only coach they knew.

Bucking Beads said:
Porthoz said:
mrslong said:
Why?

That's quite possible, but I wouldn't bet my only nut on it... :P
Some kids may be behaving badly, but it seems to be a generalised feeling amongst the players group, which points towards a failure from Henjak to bond the group into a tight knit unit.
Everyone knows how important that is in any team sport, but even more so in our game.

I don't need pseudo reports in the papers to see that this wasn't happening at the Broncos under Henjak's tenure!

Being strong doesn't mean being stubborn.

The day where I stop listening to the boys I work with and take their opinions into account respectfully, is the day I should be sacked!

Maybe Henjak didn't consult the senior players on who would be playing, when there was an injury.

Players do like to be kept informed.

The Gagai incident was to do with him wanting some leave due to some very personal issues.
Pretty much Henjak told him go find another club if he couldn't handle the big time.

mrslong said:
I liken it to a new step-mom or step-dad. "You're not my real coach, wayne's my real coach. I hate you. You can't tell me what to do"

But to be honest it was ALWAYS going to happen post Wayne. He was the only coach they knew.
Wow, I think that you're reading way too much into it. :shock:

The post Benny era was always going to be tough, and even if what you say is true, Henjak demonstrated he was not the man for the job.

Big_Dave said:
The Gagai incident was to do with him wanting some leave due to some very personal issues.
Pretty much Henjak told him go find another club if he couldn't handle the big time.

Well it depends on what the personal issues actually are to decide whether or not he needed some leave IMO. Obviously the way Henjak said what he said would have made Gagai pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.