Official - Jordan Kahu signs new deal

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
renegade, I think WinslowWong has hacked your account.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Might have been 2011 that I was thinking of? ......scored a heap one year.

Yeah, 2011 ...17 tries from 9 games

39 tries from 39 games NYC career......scored multiple hatricks, 4 tries in a losing side once

Knows his way across the try line ......

I'm not sure that's right either. He only played two games in 2011 and did his knee the first time, then did it again pre-season 2012 again.

His under 20's record is 23 games and 11 tries.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I'm not sure that's right either. He only played two games in 2011 and did his knee the first time, then did it again pre-season 2012 again.

His under 20's record is 23 games and 11 tries.

You know he started playing in 2009.....yeah?

Dale Copley player results, scores, news and statistics

2009: 18 matches - 9 tries
2010: 12 matches - 13 tries
2011: 9 matches - 17 tries

39 matches - 39 tries.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
I think you guys might be discussing different players...
[MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION] - Kahu [MENTION=7980]Mr Fourex[/MENTION] - Copely

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Yes ......it appears that 1910 thought I was talking about Kahu in his first attempt at correcting me.

I guess he was wrong.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
Good news. Incidentally I didn't realise Kahu was a Kiwi.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Well that just means you were talking about the wrong player, so you're wrong.

Someone asked if Copley had played in the centres.......I was responding to that and his try scoring ability in the centre position

Don't see how that makes it the "wrong player".

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
renegade, I think WinslowWong has hacked your account.
haha, nah, I try to say some positive things. I try to think of myself as a realist, and the realist in me says that sure, go nuts about our young guys if you want, just don't be surprised when they fail to hit the mark. I don't see the point in bigging up people, let them perform first and then sure, if they're worthy of high praise then by all means. If you compare our young "guns" in our backline to many others, imo you'll see it's really nothing to be doing cartwheels over.

For me, being bullish is false confidence. Just a manner of delusion to convince yourself/others of something that you can't do without the overt confidence.

i'd rather be seen as a negative fan with an honest perspective than a positive one with tunnel vision and or a case of sunshiner-itis.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
I agree with Renegade here. I don't like to be pessimistic but I think people go overboard with their assessments of young players coming through, mostly because we all like to live in hope.I think it comes down to two things.

Firstly, when people talk up a prospect they always focus on their peak potential. They big the impressive aspects of the game and then talk about how 'with experience' or 'given time', that player will improve in the other areas that aren't so great. But the reality is that peak potential is pretty misleading when assessing players and most never reach it. Even Ben Roberts has a great peak but he only manages it once every 100 games.

Secondly, we just get this rosy picture because most of us haven't seen much of the player and therefore haven't had the opportunity to mercilessly pick apart his game in the way we do to NRL players. For example, guys like Maranta and Hoffman all had tremendous potential when they came through but after being put in the spotlight all their weaknesses get shown and we harp on about them. But a guy like Kahu has largely avoided that so we don't notice the shit parts of his game, like poor defence or a loose carry etc.

I like Copley and Kahu and I hope they do great things but I'm quite sceptical about the wraps they get in here. I think a few too many people focus on the best case scenario for their development and ignore the downsides that every player possesses. I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think being a realist is a bad thing here.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
haha, nah, I try to say some positive things. I try to think of myself as a realist, and the realist in me says that sure, go nuts about our young guys if you want, just don't be surprised when they fail to hit the mark. I don't see the point in bigging up people, let them perform first and then sure, if they're worthy of high praise then by all means. If you compare our young "guns" in our backline to many others, imo you'll see it's really nothing to be doing cartwheels over.

For me, being bullish is false confidence. Just a manner of delusion to convince yourself/others of something that you can't do without the overt confidence.

i'd rather be seen as a negative fan with an honest perspective than a positive one with tunnel vision and or a case of sunshiner-itis.

Hehe was just having a dig. I agree, shouldn't talk up unproven juniors. Just because someone's a star in U20s or QLD cup doesn't mean they're going to be a star in the NRL.

Kahu has been solid so far though. If he can avoid these unlucky injuries interrupting his season he could be far better than solid. But we'll have to wait and see.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

Your "honest perspective" is a tad skewed IMO. The assessment of Copley you gave earlier sounded like it was based on his first half dozen or so NRL games. Once he got over the yips......he was coming along nicely. He's big, strong and fast with good foot work. His hands have let him down, but again I still think that's based more on his early games. He was improving heaps before he suffered his injury last year.....

I like to think of myself as a realist too ......but I occasionally like to use a bit of colour off the palette, instead of just black all the time.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Griffo
  • Strop
  • The Don
  • Allo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.