NEWS Opacic exit means more cash for Oates

Did we just pull a Roosters? Released Opacic to re-sign Oates!

Next thing you know we'll be releasing Patrick Mago to sign Martin Taupau.
No ... we aren't releasing a fringe player to sign a superstar ...

We would have already had a good amount set aside for Oates... what we have done is release a 200k player in order to add to the amount set aside.

Tomato - $1M/10 years.
Morgan - getting upgraded to $1M via Thurston's money.

Barba and Opacic signed. Still trying to get Oates and Holmes.

Nice sombrero up there. Now I have to despise Opacic. Go join one of the other 14 clubs not these scumbags.

I can’t see why we can’t just give him 500k and everyone be happy.

I can’t see why we can’t just give him 500k and everyone be happy.

How is that going to work if he doesn't want to be a winger though? Its not as simple as just saying throw X amount of money at him when he may not be happy staying on the wing. Plus on top of that, he already has an offer that exceeds that amount anyway.

How is that going to work if he doesn't want to be a winger though? Its not as simple as just saying throw X amount of money at him when he may not be happy staying on the wing. Plus on top of that, he already has an offer that exceeds that amount anyway.

Dogs offer is not possible now at least :)

Last edited:
He pressed in because they were destroying Reed every time. Blame the Ranga for forcing Oates in.
From my memory, Reed had Morgan covered and he had another in the tackle... there was a hole on the inside but because Oates came in there was a gaping hole on the outside... and the rest is history. Oates stays on his wing we win.

From my memory, Reed had Morgan covered and he had another in the tackle... there was a hole on the inside but because Oates came in there was a gaping hole on the outside... and the rest is history. Oates stays on his wing we win.

Reed was outgunned for speed by just about every man in the NRL - this was like 3 seconds before the pass - Oates made a decision to try and cover the center - was the wrong one sure - but if he stayed out, morgan passes a second earlier to O'Neill and he burns Reed to the line - same result.

Reed should have trusted Milly to make the tackle and slid out to cover O'Neill. Anyway, history now.... point is, can't blame it all on Oates.

Last edited:
I did not need to see that scoreline and the time remaining in the game, thanks.

Exactly. What the hell is wrong with you pair? Take it to private chat, that game never happened.

BTW, if someone had just fucking tackled Thurston instead of letting him run sideways for 5 mins it wouldn't have been an issue. Or if we hadn't put the cue in the rack with 30 to go and a tiny fucking lead.....

The article says Opa is on $200k so releasing him gives us the extra 200 for Oates

But we still have to replace him so at best it gives us an extra 100, as someone else said earlier

How is it the fans know more about the game and the rules than professional journos?

The article says Opa is on $200k so releasing him gives us the extra 200 for Oates

But we still have to replace him so at best it gives us an extra 100, as someone else said earlier

How is it the fans know more about the game and the rules than professional journos?

We dont have to replace Tommy. At the moment we still have Staggs and Shibasaki as well as Bird and Kahu. Now if for some reason we lose 3 of those, then we could be looking a bit skinny in the backs, especially if we also lose somebody like Pearson as well.

We dont have to replace Tommy. At the moment we still have Staggs and Shibasaki as well as Bird and Kahu. Now if for some reason we lose 3 of those, then we could be looking a bit skinny in the backs, especially if we also lose somebody like Pearson as well.

we don't have to replace him with a player ... but someone (and their salary) will need to replace him in the top 30

Do you even need a full top 30? I was under the impression we didn’t have one and for whatever reason didn’t put Staggs in there when we had the chance.

Do you even need a full top 30? I was under the impression we didn’t have one and for whatever reason didn’t put Staggs in there when we had the chance.

I'm pretty sure you need at least 29 by the time the season starts and you need the 30th by June 30 ...

although could be wrong

So long as he is tethered to the wing, doesn't keep trying to come into the middle, and isn't somewhere other than the wing when someone busts down his side of the field, fine. If he hasn't dropped this second row bullshit, he still needs to go, for mine.

I don't want him tethered to the wing in attack. That's the frustrating thing......Oates can go anywhere he wants in the early tackle count. He can get the ball like a backrower and takes as many runs as he wants.

I assumed his back row desire was based on him getting more ball......and money.

giphy.gif

Active Now

• Tmac
  • Behold
  • Howie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • maddo
  • Purple Pills
  • Manofoneway
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.