OFFICIAL ORIGIN: QLD WINS. HOORAY. NOW LET'S GET BACK TO THE FOOTY

Since we're coming into Origin season, we might like to think about how it's going to affect our playing roster and recovery time. Here is the schedule, and how it will impact us.

IMPACTROUNDDATEOPPONENT
Missing players17Sunday, July 10Dragons
Origin 3Wednesday, July 13
Backing up: 3 days18Saturday, July 16Titans

We have 2 remaining games to be affected by representative matches:

Dragons in Round 17
Broncos missing
Kurt Capewell
Corey Oates
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan
Tommy Flegler (replacement)

Dragons missing
Ben Hunt

Titans in Round 18
Broncos possibly resting
Corey Oates
Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Patty Carrigan

Titans possibly resting
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui

ORIGIN 3 SQUAD : QLD

Kurt Capewell
Selwyn Cobbo
Pat Carrigan
Corey Oates
Tommy Flegler (18th man)

NSW ORIGIN 3: NSW
No Broncos

Where did all of their opportunities come from......Australia.
Their heritage should be Australian first.....other second.
By all means if you aren't selected to play for Australia....feel free to do whatever.
I personally think this is a really overly simplified view and does nothing but damage the strength of the international game.

I want to see the international game be as competitive as possible, and it will only increase the popularity in those nations or in those demographics within Australia. Lebanon being coached by Freddy and having guys like Moses and Mansour lining up for them would’ve been massive for encouraging more Lebanese Australians to play the sport (just as an example).

For as long as I remember, NZ had an outside chance of challenging Aus and every other game was barely an exhibition match. The international game has never been stronger since changing the eligibility rules. The origin that just went was one of the best and most passionate series I’ve seen in a long time so imo the ability to play for nations other than Aus hasn’t negatively impacted origin at all.

Imagine honestly claiming that Josh Papalii isn’t a passionate QLDer because he played for Samoa. Do you think less of Petro’s efforts or loyalties to QLD because he played for Fiji?

I think it is hard for people who don’t have a diverse cultural background to understand you can feel equal loyalty to 2 nations.

I personally think this is a really overly simplified view and does nothing but damage the strength of the international game.

I want to see the international game be as competitive as possible, and it will only increase the popularity in those nations or in those demographics within Australia. Lebanon being coached by Freddy and having guys like Moses and Mansour lining up for them would’ve been massive for encouraging more Lebanese Australians to play the sport (just as an example).

We're diluting the Australian team/brand ....in the name of growing the international game. We're putting out a 2nd string team, if they aren't our best players available.

Is that good for the international game.... other countries celebrating victory over a 2nd tier Australian team?

We're diluting the Australian team/brand ....in the name of growing the international game. We're putting out a 2nd string team, if they aren't our best players available.

Is that good for the international game.... other countries celebrating victory over a 2nd tier Australian team?
Yeah I think it is. Aus has had such a mortgage on the best players for so long, personally I think it's great that players are turning their back on Aus and playing for their country of origin, or heritage.

A stronger international game can only be good for the game moving forwards and I'll accept a weaker Aus for the time being to make that happen.

Yeah I think it is. Aus has had such a mortgage on the best players for so long, personally I think it's great that players are turning their back on Aus and playing for their country of origin, or heritage.

A stronger international game can only be good for the game moving forwards and I'll accept a weaker Aus for the time being to make that happen.
You don't think Australia is already doing enough by hosting the league that nurtures international talent?

We have to sacrifice as well
.........Australian players who wish to play for Australia, their opportunity to play SOO?

..... Australia's greatest RL spectacle and the traditional selection pathway into the Australian team?
An Australian selected player may never get to play SOO because of a QLD or NSW side filled with international players.

How is that fair to that player.....?

You don't think Australia is already doing enough by hosting the league that nurtures international talent?

.........Australian players who wish to play for Australia, their opportunity to play SOO?

..... Australia's greatest RL spectacle and the traditional selection pathway into the Australian team?
An Australian selected player may never get to play SOO because of a QLD or NSW side filled with international players.

Honestly I don't know how SOO fits in or what the best direction to go there is. That's on the State coaches who they want to pick I suppose.

I do think good players choosing other countries over Aus is, in the long run, best for the game.

shouldn’t the best players from each state play state of origin if they meet all the criteria except who they chose to play for at international rep level?

Playing for Samoa doesn’t make you less of a QLDer or NSWmen. If they are recognised Australian citizens and grew up in NSW or QLD and they are the best in their positions then they should get picked.

Its 2 entirely different comps. Cam Smith hadn’t lived in QLD for almost 20 years by the time he retired.

I think it boils down to if you believe the SOO series is a selection trial for the Australian team.

It was designed to be.....and I think it should stay that way.

I think it boils down to if you believe the SOO series is a selection trial for the Australian team.

Anything else from 1980 we should still be doing old boy?

Do you seriously think about the Australian team when watching Origin?

It's the last thing on my mind.

I do think it's unfair to take a jersey off somebody who's dreamt of it since they were kids who have a connection to their state for some flavour of the month islander who is doing it for their brand or the pay cheque.

How on Earth can Origin be a Kangaroos selection trial when it's played 4 months before the team is picked.

Australia will choose the best players regardless of origin. You can’t honestly think Mal cares about origin results. He will pick whoever he thinks is the best regardless.

Do you seriously think about the Australian team when watching Origin?

It's the last thing on my mind.

I do think it's unfair to take a jersey off somebody who's dreamt of it since they were kids who have a connection to their state for some flavour of the month islander who is doing it for their brand or the pay cheque.
Who are we to assume an islander doesn’t have strong connections to their state or hasn’t dreamt of it since they were young? Tell Tino you don’t think he has a connection to his state. I get what you’re saying Pete but there’s no way to know who does and doesn’t care as a fan - being an islander shouldn’t bring your origin passion into question. That’s the job of the origin selectors to determine.

Who are we to assume an islander doesn’t have strong connections to their state or hasn’t dreamt of it since they were young? Tell Tino you don’t think he has a connection to his state. I get what you’re saying Pete but there’s no way to know who does and doesn’t care as a fan - being an islander shouldn’t bring your origin passion into question. That’s the job of the origin selectors to determine.
I agree that being Polynesian doesn't automatically bring your commitment into question. However, I wouldn't blame somebody for preferring a player who wants to represent Australia over somebody who wants to represent Scotland in let's face it an Australian representative match. It's not like they're representing Nova Scotia...

So much of Origin is built on representing the state and the players that came before and inspiring the next generation. When you have players switching allegiances and taking themselves out of the equation I can see why it would hurt the value of the brand.

For the record, I'm fine with the way things are. As long as you're eligible for both under the new rules you're sweet. I would have even had exemptions, like poor Mulitalo who got ratted out on social media after being given the all clear during every other rep match. Even Keary is somebody where I felt he had enough criteria to qualify for Queensland. You can't tell me his heart was in it for NSW.

Also I'm pretty sure Fa'asuamaleaui grew up in Australia and has pledged to play for Australia so why would I have an issue with him? Are you even Australian, shed?. Give me another player to run at/away from.

How on Earth can Origin be a Kangaroos selection trial when it's played 4 months before the team is picked.

Once upon the Nthn Hemisphere teams would tour Oz during our winter .
France did a regional tour back in the 80s . Played at the Nambour Show Grounds .

Things have changed .

I would laugh if the Poms say thanks but no thanks to Victor Radley .

Seems conceited . Can`t get into the NSW team so I`ll play for the Poms . 3-4 choice lock for NSW . Thinks he`s 1st choice for Great Britain . We`ll see ...

I agree that being Polynesian doesn't automatically bring your commitment into question. However, I wouldn't blame somebody for preferring a player who wants to represent Australia over somebody who wants to represent Scotland in let's face it an Australian representative match. It's not like they're representing Nova Scotia...

So much of Origin is built on representing the state and the players that came before and inspiring the next generation. When you have players switching allegiances and taking themselves out of the equation I can see why it would hurt the value of the brand.

For the record, I'm fine with the way things are. As long as you're eligible for both under the new rules you're sweet. I would have even had exemptions, like poor Mulitalo who got ratted out on social media after being given the all clear during every other rep match. Even Keary is somebody where I felt he had enough criteria to qualify for Queensland. You can't tell me his heart was in it for NSW.

Also I'm pretty sure Fa'asuamaleaui grew up in Australia and has pledged to play for Australia so why would I have an issue with him? Are you even Australian, shed?. Give me another player to run at/away from.
Kudos Pete for slipping in....... Nova Scotia

Its been way too long.

Australia will choose the best players regardless of origin. You can’t honestly think Mal cares about origin results. He will pick whoever he thinks is the best regardless.
As a dyed in maroon wool QLD'r....I'm pretty sure Mal Meninga certainly gives a **** about SOO results.

I'm sure you're right though, Mal will choose from whomever is available at his discretion. But it won't be "regardless" of SOO.......it will be looked at from a "as well as SOO"
......view point.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jeza23
  • lynx000
  • ChewThePhatt
  • davidp
  • Dony Eliakim
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wild Horse
  • Mister Wright
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.