Our defensive coach?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

GILLY LOOKS FOR NEW GIG | Rugby League Week

‘THE AXE’ has been axed . . . but there’s still plenty of chops left in him.
Maroons legend Trevor Gillmeister was let go by the Titans last month after eight years as a trainer, defensive coach and assistant coach at the club.
But the 50-year-old says he has a lot more to offer and Maroons team manager Steve Walters agrees.
Gillmeister was named by Darren Lockyer in RLW as one of the inside men responsible for Queensland’s eight-year dynasty, with his defensive drills in Maroons camps having a profound impact on the side’s ability to counter the Blues.
Walters says Gillmeister, one of the best tacklers the game has seen, has a skill set that will make him highly sought after.
“It doesn’t always equate that whoever was the best tackler is then the best coach of tackling, but I have seen him work on defensive techniques with the guys and he is still very much up to speed with what works,” Walters says. “I highly recommend him.
“Eight years at a club as a coach or an assistant is above average, so I think a change of environment, scenery and players will be really good for him.
“With coaching these days, a really big part of it is man management and your relationships with players. That is a really big strength of Gilly’s.”
Gillmeister is currently on a 28-day fund-raising walk from Townsville to Brisbane and will assess his future afterwards.
“The only thing I am a little bit dirty about is the timing of it,” Gillmeister says. “A lot of clubs already have their coaches and staff in place.”
- JOEL GOULD

It's something we have all thought needed serious improvement and Gillmeister certainly is an expert on technique, certainly couldn't be any worse then Stephen Kearney, personally I'd like to see Gillmeister back at the club. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Every time a defensive coach is mentioned someone says "we need someone like the axe to teach our players how to tackle". Now he's actually available? Snap him the **** up, now. Every team in the NRL should be fighting over him.

Please please please come back to Brisbane Axe!

He would be good, but we also need someone who attends the best ways of wrestling and slowing down the ruck.

He only has 1 more year with us, just hold on like holding in a fart.

He only has 1 more year with us, just hold on like holding in a fart.

Kearney could have been sacked for 2015, but Bennett kept him on. What makes you think his contract won't be renewed

The Titans had a +/- of -166 in 2014 we had +93 why would we want their defence?

The Titans had a +/- of -166 in 2014 we had +93 why would we want their defence?

Because +/- uses offence and defence, we clearly had better attack than them last year with all their injuries, which would also affect their defence as well.

Despite how the Titans went last year, Gillmeister is undoubtedly a master defensive coach, one that we could desperately use.. Imagine if all our back rowers and centres could tackle consistently?

Personally i would trust Bennetts decision here; people have made mention that every club "should" be chasing Giily's signature...they arent..!

If Bennett wanted him he would be at the Wednesday press conference; personally i have my doubts..?

When has the Titans defense been good?

Just because he was a very skilled and hard defender, doesn't mean he can translate it to his coaching gig, and it doesn't look like he could. In all the years Gilly has been there, the Broncos were consistently better except for the disaster called Henjak in 2009 and 2010...

BroncosTitans

Last edited:
Get him and get him now

Truly if WB cannot see this blindly obvious decision needs to be made I'll be calling him clueless and stating he clearly doesn't have the best interest of the club at heart

Ok, sorry for being facetious :)

I rate Gilly and would love to see him signed, but I trust WB's rugby league judgement over my own

Just because he was a very skilled and hard defender, doesn't mean he can translate it to his coaching gig, and it doesn't look like he could. In all the years Gilly has been there, the Broncos were consistently better except for the disaster called Henjak in 2009 and 2010...

BroncosTitans

We've also had a consistently better roster than the Titans virtually every season they've been in the competition, you can teach a donkey to tackle, it's still gonna be a donkey.

I'd be happy to see Gillmeister come purely just to get everyone working with a good tackling technique, that would prove the world of difference in some of our players (Specifically Gillett, Glenn & Copley are the ones I see with a very inconsistent tackling technique, they use a lot of arms)

I'd trust The Axe to teach technique 100%. Not sure about structure though.

He strikes me as the type of guy who is disgusted by wrestling after his impressive defensive career back then. So while hiring him to improve the technique of some players is all well and good, we'd also need Andre the Giant or something to work on other stuff.

Broncos
Titans

ISC Coaching.

'03 465 against from 22 games
'04 620 against from 22 games
'05 566 against from 20 games
'06 731 against from 20 games

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.