Our defensive coach?

He strikes me as the type of guy who is disgusted by wrestling after his impressive defensive career back then. So while hiring him to improve the technique of some players is all well and good, we'd also need Andre the Giant or something to work on other stuff.

I always liked Abdul the Butcher or Killer Karl Kowalski

We've also had a consistently better roster than the Titans virtually every season they've been in the competition, you can teach a donkey to tackle, it's still gonna be a donkey.

I'd be happy to see Gillmeister come purely just to get everyone working with a good tackling technique, that would prove the world of difference in some of our players (Specifically Gillett, Glenn & Copley are the ones I see with a very inconsistent tackling technique, they use a lot of arms)
Yeah, Ashley Harrison, Nate Myles, Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Friend, Greg Bird, David Taylor, all donkeys...

He might be able to teach a better technique, and even improve some of our guys (although I haven't seen that happening to the guy that needs it most at the Tits: David Taylor), but our problem is structure (especially around the ruck) more than anything, and nothing in his career so far, tells me he is capable of that!

Ricky Stuart was a pretty handy player.. terrible coach.

Playing abilities ≠ coaching abilities.

Yeah, Ashley Harrison, Nate Myles, Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Friend, Greg Bird, David Taylor, all donkeys...

He might be able to teach a better technique, and even improve some of our guys (although I haven't seen that happening to the guy that needs it most at the Tits: David Taylor), but our problem is structure (especially around the ruck) more than anything, and nothing in his career so far, tells me he is capable of that!

At what point can I quietly mention Gillett arm-grabs and not set you off?

At what point can I quietly mention Gillett arm-grabs and not set you off?
You won't. I know he does it, but that is mainly due to his rushing out of the line and being often stepped out. He's by no means a turnstile in the sense that you'll see people go through him though. I think he needs to get his timing coached, more than his technique to be honest.

Both Hodges and Gillett are huge arm grabbers. They really struggle laterally, when the attacker is on their outside (though Hodges has improved in the last 2 years). If we can put a magnet under their jerseys or something, it would be fine.

I always have concerns about hiring coaches based on their playing abilities. The axe was a great defender no doubt but whether he can translate it to coaching is another thing. Porthoz nailed it perfectly when pointing out their defensive record and the noted strong men in their team.

I'd trust The Axe to teach technique 100%. Not sure about structure though.

To be honest, I reckon if tackling "technique" is still being coached at NRL level we have a problem. Our defense last season was good though IMO a bit of polishing up on structure/patterns i.e sliding,man on man etc needs work. Basically if (when) Gillett rushes up, who goes where. Hopefully he spends the off season in the sand pit using his shoulders.

Both Hodges and Gillett are huge arm grabbers. They really struggle laterally, when the attacker is on their outside (though Hodges has improved in the last 2 years). If we can put a magnet under their jerseys or something, it would be fine.

Dont let Craig Bellamy see this post.

Are the people saying they've seen no evidence of him being a god defensive coach ignoring how good QLD defence was during his time? Or how highly Lockyer rated his work?

Not making judgement on his coaching ability but Locky is reserved and smart, he is not going to bring someone down in public. Gordy on the other hand gives you a real insight into his thinking

I am looking for info from someone who might know. Is the defensive coach responsible for the tactics or is he just responsible for coaching the head coaches ideas on defence

It'd differ from club to club but the head coach have the final say,

I'm sure they'd be coached to the head coaches instructions.

IMO we don't need a defensive coach who can provide ackling technique, we need one who can teach our players to wrestle with the opposition. That's where we differ to the clubs like Souths, Storm and Chooks. If we can win the wrestle it will make 10x the difference.

tackling coach yes
defensive coach overall probrably no
Just get him to teach Milford, Barba, Gillett & Glenn how to tackle. The two later in order to finally snap some blokes in the defence. Every time Gillett goes to put a hit on he goes backwards.

IMO we don't need a defensive coach who can provide ackling technique, we need one who can teach our players to wrestle with the opposition. That's where we differ to the clubs like Souths, Storm and Chooks. If we can win the wrestle it will make 10x the difference.

One of the first things Bennett said was that they will not use wrestling as part of their defensive structures.

He said that premierships have been won before without using those techniques.

Makes me a little nervous actually :frown:

I think he said won't use then extensively.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.