Our new halfback should be

Wayne Bennett backs Ben Hunt in final year at Broncos despite Dragons deal
b6367e6e3d3f0ea8d4c38a5aa89cb2c3

Matt Logue, The Daily TelegraphJanuary 23, 2017 1:43pm
Subscriber only

WAYNE Bennett has vowed to stand by halfback Ben Hunt, despite his decision to walk out on the Broncos for a $6 million deal with St George Illawarra.
The seven-time premier coach was made aware of Hunt’s decision to join the Dragons two days ago, shortly before the news became official that the halfback had accepted a five-year offer.
Bennett has told Broncos officials he wants — and will insist — Hunt stays at the Broncos to play out the final year of his contract in Brisbane.
48f86090ea07cfa5dfa3660d8b0580f5

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has backed departing half Ben Hunt in his final year at the club
The coach has previously released players who have signed at rival clubs and once famously dropped Justin Hodges to reserve grade when he signed with the Roosters way back in 2001.
Bennett, though, will ensure Hunt remains at Brisbane until the end of the 2017 season.
Broncos officials have also refused to release their star half to link with St George Illawarra ahead of schedule.
This comes as former Dragons captain Mark Coyne backed Hunt’s signing as potentially the key to ending the Red V’s woes in attack.
“I think Ben will be a nice acquisition,” Coyne told The Sunday Telegraph.
“He is a quality player and the fact he is a Queenslander is good.
“I’ve always liked Queenslanders coming to the club.
“I think Ben is a great signing and he will add a lot to the club when he gets there.”
fb76bf0bf957c554f0c8f3da701fe7ac

Dragons high performance coach Mark Coyne is pleased with the signing of Hunt
Coyne is on a four-person committee designed to improve the Dragons’ high performance.
He said he was fully focused on helping the club improve after finishing 2016 in a disappointing 11th place.
“No one likes to see the club end up where they were last year,” he said.
“There are lots of people that want to try and contribute and make the club perform better.
“I’m happy to be trying to play a part with that.
“They’ve got some really good kids coming through, so hopefully they get the opportunity to get a bit of experience this year.”
Meanwhile, Broncos legend Allan Langer has called on the club to develop its own replacement for the departing Hunt rather than enter the market for a new halfback.
Langer, who is on the Broncos’ coaching staff, did not blame Hunt for accepting the lucrative over.
“If you’re offered that money, it’s difficult to say no,” he said.
74b1ca394b928b3f66b3737b0dc0f300

Hunt will be looking to finish his time in Brisbane with a big year
Hunt was at yesterday’s Broncos’ members day at Suncorp Stadium, where supporters wished him well on his move to the Dragons in 2018.
Langer tipped Hunt to have no problems concentrating on his Brisbane duties this season despite the hype about his move south next year.
“He’s professional and he’s a great player, so I don’t think it’ll worry him too much,” he said.
When the time comes for Hunt to leave, Langer hopes the Broncos do not look outside their current squad to find a halves partner for Anthony Milford.
“We’ve got Kodi Nikorima here, we’ve got Benji Marshall, so we’ll see what happens next year,” he said. “Hopefully we’ll develop what we’ve got.”
Originally published as Bennett backs Hunt despite Dragons deal

Mitch Pearce is off contract next year, just sayin.

He's a joke at Rep level but there's no denying he is a great club half whose style would suit Milf very well. Also I know people that grew up with him and they all vouch that he is a nice bloke and hard worker but just one of the dumbest people youll meet.

Mitch Pearce is off contract next year, just sayin.

He's a joke at Rep level but there's no denying he is a great club half whose style would suit Milf very well. Also I know people that grew up with him and they all vouch that he is a nice bloke and hard worker but just one of the dumbest people youll meet.

We're seemingly just about to sack a super talented club player who is as dumb as you'll ever meet it seems, we certainly shouldn't be looking at signing an even bigger idiot.

We're seemingly just about to sack a super talented club player who is as dumb as you'll ever meet it seems, we certainly shouldn't be looking at signing an even bigger idiot.

post of 2017 so far!!!

What do you guys think of Mitch Cornish. Played junior footy with Milf...

What do you guys think of Mitch Cornish. Played junior footy with Milf...

Darius Boyd - he's a cheaper option, big bodied five eighth, knows the team inside out, doesn't choke like Ben Hunt does in big games

Who do you think we may chase mate?

its a bloody lottery, will depend a lot on milf and if he continues to grow again this year. milf is a try scorer and attacker who would prefer less responsibility as far as organising and kicking goes. so we prob dont need another half like that.
a kid like scarlett might jump out of the ground and be that organising type of player to compliment milford. will really depend on the market and who is around.
i dont see a shaun johnson or mitch moses a real good fit, brooks prob would be ok due to his kicking game but will prob be a struggle getting him out of sydney.
who know benji could play into 2018 and then possibly ash taylor may return??
the only one from the 20's with a possible long term solution would be burns, o'hara isnt much good.

Darius Boyd - he's a cheaper option, big bodied five eighth, knows the team inside out, doesn't choke like Ben Hunt does in big games
Then we still won't have a halfback..

Karmichael Hunt come back for 2 years until we can get Taylor?

If Broncos have to develop their own halfback as langer said in couriermail. The guy should start play halfback the whole year in Queensland cup. Look at the storm upcoming halfback Brodie croft. He spend the whole last year in Queensland cup. If kodi nikorima given first option play in the half next year. He should play whole year Queensland cup as halfback.

he dropped the ball ala Hunt last year in a pretty important game.

Forgave because it was Darry.
Forgave because he is the best fb in the world atm. He was also imo, our best player last season. Not long ago his life was an absolute shit show, Darbs has done the hard yards and turned it all around.
A champion player in the making.

Forgave because he is the best fb in the world atm. He was also imo, our best player last season. Not long ago his life was an absolute shit show, Darbs has done the hard yards and turned it all around.
A champion player in the making.

Deleted that post mate, but agree. That's why he'll be our captain and in a lot of ways, MVP.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Alec
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncorob
  • Ffs...
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.