Our new halfback should be

Unpopular Opinion: Benji Marshall is still good at Rugby League.

Let's no completely discount the fact that he's only 31 and basically took a year off to rest in New Zealand while pretending to play Union. I think there's a small chance he may still have 2-3 good seasons left in those legs IF (Monumental if) he can stay on the park.

Agree. I want him there. He's still Benji Marshall.

They seem pretty darn comparable to me.

* Player that in the past has struggled mentally.
* Talented but those mental issues hold them back.
* Have a breakout year where the shackles are off and we're "wow, look how good he can be".
* One error that unfortunately is definitive in ending our season when a premiership was a genuine chance".
.... All consistent between the two players, except one year apart.

I guess we'll see how Boyd goes. There might be enough scapegoats (Hunt not trying, McGuire one eye on leaving for $$, Milford not perfect yet etc) to keep the criticism away, but it'll only take a couple of bad games before the hounds are out.
If Mcguire has one eye on leaving, I hope it's his bad eye... Otherwise he won't see anything :p

Agree. I want him there. He's still Benji Marshall.
I'm more comfortable with Boyd moving into the 5/8 role. He's a better defender, less injury prone, and commands the teams respect (nothing against marshall). As a captain he'd find it that much more easier to control the situation as well. Marshall can still be effective at fullback and is less likely to be disruptive in the event of injury.

Marshall isn't the worst solution, and I'd be tempted to **** Hunt off to Qcup for this season/ play him off the bench; unless he suddenly comes back into some form, we're basically help develop him for the Dragons. We pretty much play with two 5/8s as it is, so giving Benji the freedom he lacked at St George may well reinvigorate his game.

Next person to suggest we move the worlds best Fullback deserves a 24 hour ban.

@Nashy Make it happen!
Marshall may play the year without injury but probably not. Boyd is a great fullback, but so was lockyer.

I'm more comfortable with Boyd moving into the 5/8 role. He's a better defender, less injury prone, and commands the teams respect (nothing against marshall). As a captain he'd find it that much more easier to control the situation as well. Marshall can still be effective at fullback and is less likely to be disruptive in the event of injury.

Who would be halfback?

Marshall isn't the worst solution, and I'd be tempted to **** Hunt off to Qcup for this season/ play him off the bench; unless he suddenly comes back into some form, we're basically help develop him for the Dragons. We pretty much play with two 5/8s as it is, so giving Benji the freedom he lacked at St George may well reinvigorate his game.

Who cares if we develop him even more! If he can win us a premiership, thanks for everything c ya later . Moving on with a different HB wouldn't be the worst after winning a comp !

You really have no idea do you

Boyd is a great fullback, but so was lockyer.

Boyd deserves plenty if credit, he has been our most consistent over the last 2 years and is a great fullback ... but he is no Lockyer

Besides, Bennett has tried Boyd at 5/8 on at least 2 different occasions, and it failed each time. Why should he try it a 3rd time

Boyd deserves plenty if credit, he has been our most consistent over the last 2 years and is a great fullback ... but he is no Lockyer

Besides, Bennett has tried Boyd at 5/8 on at least 2 different occasions, and it failed each time. Why should he try it a 3rd time

3rd time lucky?

You really have no idea do you

Nah not really. Going off his history of being a WC winning HB and coming second in the Dally Ms in 2015, but a lot can change in a year. JT and Cronk are both a couple years older as well, so he has to be past it.

EDIT: Hunt's short kicking game and decision making is seriously horrendous, which is why I class him as more of a 5/8th. But hey, we should be fine with some untested kid thrust into HB, which I can assure you Bennett will only do if we somehow don't sign anyone or one of our halves goes down with a long term injury.

On the topic of this season, why would you persist with someone out of form who's going to be leaving at the end of the year? If he's in form, fine, that improves our side, but we haven't played a game yet, and he is, if we're using last season as a guide, seriously out of form.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised if nikorima comes on from the bench but plays halfback and hunt goes to hooker during a game where we going are ok just to test him out. Much like Souths did with keary

Active Now

• Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.