Our realistic chances?

I guess my point was for everyone to get some perspective and realise that if in the preseason someone told you that come round 21 with a completely new halves pairing, losing your international winger for the season after a couple of rounds, having at times 7 players involved in origin, the stack of injuries we have had especially in the backline, we would be just outside the top 4 by a very small points differential, you would have been stoked.

true this .. 11-7 is a win or three better than I thought they'd be at this stage of the post-Locyker era .. however I did think the team would get better as the season went on .. as opposed to what's actually happening ..

Not even close to the point I was making, but thanks for playing

you missed my point, but thanks for playing.

if someone told me that we'd be just outside the top 4 at this stage, with all that has happened, it wouldnt really mean much to me unless you also told me how we were playing. at this stage we're just outside the top 4 but we would struggle to beat the eels. we were flying along, but then all those things you mentioned happened - new halves pairing, losing your international winger for the season after a couple of rounds, having at times 7 players involved in origin, the stack of injuries - and we have completely fallen apart, gone from major premiership contenders to just looking like making up the numbers, if that. so no, i wouldnt have been stoked because it doesnt show the whole picture. yay we're 5th, but we've been playing terrible and have struggled to snag a win here and there for like 8 weeks.

the competition these days isnt as much about ladder position as it is about form in the last 6 weeks or so. to make the finals you dont even need to win half your games. as newcastle have shown, you can be the joke of the league for half of the season, but string 3-4 wins in a row and all of a sudden youre finals bound. making the 8 isnt much of an accomplishment anymore. at the moment, teams that have won 8 out of 18 are right up there in contention for the top 8, being only 2 points out. theyre only 6 points out of the top 4! 13th spot is 6 points from the top 4. so us being just outside the top 4 isnt some shining beacon of achievement.

Last edited:
the competition these days isnt as much about ladder position as it is about form in the last 6 weeks or so. to make the finals you dont even need to win half your games.

this is a good argument for shortening the amount of games in the season (and therefore more time for standalone rep weekends).

Sometimes I wonder if ppl even watch our games. I think most on here who are feeling a bit negative about our chances are that way because of the way we are playing now not where we are on the table or how we were playing leading up to the last few weeks. Our playing style has become more conservative recently which I for one didn't think possible.

It is obvious that we can't win big games without scoring a few more points but we keep trying to defend our way to wins and the most frustrating part is we don't even look like adding some variety / variation to our attack.

We've gone away from a tactic that worked really well in the earlier rounds - the high attacking kick. Wallace or Norman from about 40 or 30 out put up the long bomb, giving wingers and fullbacks no option but to wait for it to come down, and we chase with a good defensive line. Teams were finding it hard to get out of their own half which made our job in attack so much easier. Not sure why we aren't still employing the same tactic lately.

You know that internet meme about first world problems.... we should start one for this forum called "Broncos world problems"....

Coming 5th on the ladder
But ONLY have a rookie 5/8

Played the Warriors
Won by only 2 points

Support my club every week
Haven't won a premiership for 6 years

You get the gist.

It is obvious that we can't win big games without scoring a few more points but we keep trying to defend our way to wins and the most frustrating part is we don't even look like adding some variety / variation to our attack.

We are missing Yow Yeh and Reed who were our top try scorers (mostly in the air) from last year. Without that lottery play in our arsenal we struggle a bit. I can't see Whitchurch, Maranta, Glenn or Teo taking those opportunities

Something like this

Attachments

• 504868-lachlan-maranta.jpg
    504868-lachlan-maranta.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 54
Could have another set.

"Support the Broncos
Not allowed to criticise them"

"Been successful for 20 years
So fans should shut up and cop shit performances"

Right?

"Been successful for 20 years
So fans should shut up and cop shit performances"

Right?

No just, get a sense of perspective and relativity and roll with the punches and lower expectations to more realistic levels.

By the way, I didn't notice before but Te'o looks very effeminate in the background. "Ohhh my darn elbow. Ouchie"

No just, get a sense of perspective and relativity and roll with the punches and lower expectations to more realistic levels.

Lower your expectations.......pfft. FMD !!

So in other words put up with our average half back ...our non-existent attack

and suck it up

and don't dare complain or criticise / comment about the teams performances.

:001_rolleyes:

:laugh: I for one appreciate the meme.

As fans, we can all be a little harsh on our players and have a grass is always greener outlook.

Then you hear what opposition fans think, they absolutely adore Alex Glenn. Reckon there'd be clubs lining up round the block to sign that guy. Wallace is always getting Man of the Week points when usually he's getting criticised & McCullough is constantly heaping praise from shows like NRL on Fox, Game Plan, Footy Show etc. when he's scapegoat on here.

Fans absolutely cream themselves over our forward pack, enjoy our backline, like the look of our halves and can't believe our depth.

Sometimes we do get a bit carried away and like last week, it was certainly justified but others, not so much.

:laugh: I for one appreciate the meme.

As fans, we can all be a little harsh on our players and have a grass is always greener outlook.

Then you hear what opposition fans think, they absolutely adore Alex Glenn. Reckon there'd be clubs lining up round the block to sign that guy. Wallace is always getting Man of the Week points when usually he's getting criticised & McCullough is constantly heaping praise from shows like NRL on Fox, Game Plan, Footy Show etc. when he's scapegoat on here.

Fans absolutely cream themselves over our forward pack, enjoy our backline, like the look of our halves and can't believe our depth.

Sometimes we do get a bit carried away and like last week, it was certainly justified but others, not so much.

+1. You guys have no idea how great the club is and how lucky you we are.

If you heard a Manchester United fan bitching about how they didn't win the Premier League this year, you'd roll your eyes massively

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.