NEWS Pangai told to leave

Big Del

QCup Player
Apr 22, 2017
Threads
Badel has said that TPJ was tabled a formal offer by the Tigers ... but their package was below TPJ's asking price of 800k per year.

he still expect TPJ to be gone before he is eligible to play for us again on July 30. says Dragons and Bulldogs major contenders for his signature and the Bulldogs have upped the anteand held talks with TPJ's management

I would be offering a base of 4-5 and biasing a bonus 2-3 on performance for his total of 8 hunge .

eg . Run sideways in own 10 . 50 000 off .Jog and back into the defence then throw a useless off load on the ground 50 000 off .
Late shot on opposition halves 100 000 off . Crusher 100 000 . Jog when you should run in defence 100 000 .

I reckon he would win the Daly M if he could earn that 800 K . lol .

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
Threads
I reckon he'll be on his best behaviour. Call me crazy but I think he's a changed man. It's not like he's done anything wrong this year, has he? He discussed a contract with a potential employer, hardly evil stuff. I think him moving on is mostly roster balance and on field attitude because we're super stacked with backrowers.

Unless I'm forgetting things that is.
I'm inclined to say the same. It has to be something culturally because he's hardly on huge money relative to what he can deliver and he's even mostly rained in his suspensions etc, so it can only be that he's culturally just not what the club wants going forward.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Captain
Jul 28, 2016
Threads
I'm inclined to say the same. It has to be something culturally because he's hardly on huge money relative to what he can deliver and he's even mostly rained in his suspensions etc, so it can only be that he's culturally just not what the club wants going forward.
Not sure about culturally... it might be more about how and where he fits into the team from a footy sense.

I think if you look over the years on this forum there has been a bit of "Jack Bird where should he play" when it comes to TPJ.

Second row: He's an offensive weapon, but his defence is suspect.

Prop: again offense is excellent, but his best games comprise 3 stints on the field, which can over complicate things and use up vital substitutions.

Lock: Similar to prop, but he can also bring ball playing to the position. From a team sense you need to have two locks rotating, because he wont get through the full 80

Bench: flexibility to play multiple positions, reduces his fatigue errors, explosive impact player to bring on.... but are you getting value for money

And across all positions his defence becomes suspect as he fatigues.

If you consider that we are effectively replacing TPJ with Capewell, then you are getting a far more reliable footy player that is a set and forget 80min second rower.

Given TPJ is off contract end of next year they were probably thinking he's a nice to have luxury type player, but right now we need to build a solid consistent core that we can rely on every week and know what we'll be getting.

abashii

NRL Player
Jul 14, 2014
Threads
I reckon he'll be on his best behaviour. Call me crazy but I think he's a changed man. It's not like he's done anything wrong this year, has he? He discussed a contract with a potential employer, hardly evil stuff. I think him moving on is mostly roster balance and on field attitude because we're super stacked with backrowers.

Unless I'm forgetting things that is.
Same here, didn't Petero take TPJ under his wing and mentor him late last year/this year? I guess if he goes down to Sydney old habits and bad influences could get him off the straight and narrow again, but afaik he's been really good since copping that huge penalty last year.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
Threads
I have no issue with his behaviour lately. I just think he’s a middle forward and not a second rower. He is one of the few middle forwards who can really dominate a game in the early minutes when everyone is fresh. We had 2 overpriced middles with him and Lodge and now that Lodge is gone I would try to keep TPJ.
We have 2 over priced wingers as well with Oates and Isaako so I would rather shift one of them to save some money and play Cobbo instead. Croft is also over priced for a depth half so I would happily subsidise him to move him on and save a little money.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Captain
Jul 28, 2016
Threads
I have no issue with his behaviour lately. I just think he’s a middle forward and not a second rower. He is one of the few middle forwards who can really dominate a game in the early minutes when everyone is fresh. We had 2 overpriced middles with him and Lodge and now that Lodge is gone I would try to keep TPJ.
We have 2 over priced wingers as well with Oates and Isaako so I would rather shift one of them to save some money and play Cobbo instead. Croft is also over priced for a depth half so I would happily subsidise him to move him on and save a little money.
The other aspect is TPJ's relationship with Lodge. I'm pretty sure they were best mates off the field so TPJ might want to bail now that Lodge has been cut loose.

There's no real way of knowing the specific reason as to why they're happy to let TPJ go or if he wants to go himself.

The Broncos keep talking about balance across their salary cap and potentially they think you only need 1 premier prop and that's going to be Haas.

Maybe if we were trying to keep Lodge and TPJ it may have cost us Haas.

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2008
Threads
The other aspect is TPJ's relationship with Lodge. I'm pretty sure they were best mates off the field so TPJ might want to bail now that Lodge has been cut loose.

There's no real way of knowing the specific reason as to why they're happy to let TPJ go or if he wants to go himself.

The Broncos keep talking about balance across their salary cap and potentially they think you only need 1 premier prop and that's going to be Haas.

Maybe if we were trying to keep Lodge and TPJ it may have cost us Haas.
Well if it is correct that TPJ was shopping himself around to the Tigers (after apparently doing the same with the Roosters last year) that he clearly did not want to be here. But going to either the Tigpies or the Bulldogs would appear to be jumping out of frying pan into the fire.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Forum Staff
May 21, 2013
Threads
Article by Badel today says that Payne Haas asked Adam Reynolds when we played Souths in R15 if he (Reynolds) could work some magic and keep TPJ at the Broncos.

Seems like Haas definitely doesn't want TPJ to leave.

JAHHW

NRL Captain
Aug 24, 2017
Threads
Article by Badel today says that Payne Haas asked Adam Reynolds when we played Souths in R15 if he (Reynolds) could work some magic and keep TPJ at the Broncos.

What could Reynolds possibly do though?

He’s not involved in recruitment at the Broncos and he isn’t a brain surgeon either.

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads

so know Badel knows what was said in a private conversation (assuming it happened) ... damn he's good

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
Threads
Its been reported that Broncos are prepared to keep Tevita Pangai Jr next year if decides to stay. I'm not sure if that statement means much because Pangai does have a contract. But then again Broncos could force the issue if they can prove that Pangai met with another club without their permission if they wanted too.

Apparently Pangai isn't likely going to take that option, but he is still haggling on the decision whether to go to the Tigers or the Bulldogs.

I think its probably best to part company. The club has already told Pangai he's free to leave is hardly going to be the right environment for him to get the best of him.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
Its been reported that Broncos are prepared to keep Tevita Pangai Jr next year if decides to stay. I'm not sure if that statement means much because Pangai does have a contract. But then again Broncos could force the issue if they can prove that Pangai met with another club without their permission if they wanted too.

Apparently Pangai isn't likely going to take that option, but he is still haggling on the decision whether to go to the Tigers or the Bulldogs.

I think its probably best to part company. The club has already told Pangai he's free to leave is hardly going to be the right environment for him to get the best of him.

Saw some interesting quotes from McGuire about TPJ recently that really bring into question the credibility of comments that he didn’t meet with tigers officials. I’m sure McHunt McHunt will post them here soon enough.

McHunt

State of Origin Rep
Aug 25, 2018
Threads
Saw some interesting quotes from McGuire about TPJ recently that really bring into question the credibility of comments that he didn’t meet with tigers officials. I’m sure McHunt McHunt will post them here soon enough.

You mean this?

“I have no idea if Tevita is coming but I am certainly interested. I don‘t know where it’s at but I would definitely have a player of his calibre. I think I can help Tevita become the best he can be and that‘s the environment I want at the club, I want players to be their best and have the right training ethic because that reflects the way you play."

“You look at Joe Ofahengaue (Pangai Jr‘s former teammate), he came here from the Broncos and I’ve been extremely proud of how hard he worked to put himself back in the Origin arena. The change has been good for him. He has responded and a new environment can do that for a player.”

It's no secret Tevita's being offered to the Tigers now, but Madge doesn't say he met with him earlier.

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarltonCru
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.