NEWS Pangai told to leave

Badel has said that TPJ was tabled a formal offer by the Tigers ... but their package was below TPJ's asking price of 800k per year.

he still expect TPJ to be gone before he is eligible to play for us again on July 30. says Dragons and Bulldogs major contenders for his signature and the Bulldogs have upped the anteand held talks with TPJ's management
Isn’t it now against the rules to leave a club for a pay increase during a contract ?

Isn’t it now against the rules to leave a club for a pay increase during a contract ?

I'm not sure if they ever implemented that rule ... but if they did, i'm sure it would only be if the move was initiated by the player... In TPJ's case, I believe the move was initiated by the club, therefore he should be free to take as much cash as someone is willing to pay him

Badel has said that TPJ was tabled a formal offer by the Tigers ... but their package was below TPJ's asking price of 800k per year.

he still expect TPJ to be gone before he is eligible to play for us again on July 30. says Dragons and Bulldogs major contenders for his signature and the Bulldogs have upped the anteand held talks with TPJ's management
I must admit to mixed feelings on TPJ. I don't want him to go but he'd need to start doing all the 1%ers. If he leaves we will be chipping and in all honesty, chipping in fills me with indignant rage. I absolutely abhor the thought of paying a huge part of departed players wages.

Talking of paying players to play elsewhere, surely we aren’t still paying some of Roberts salary to play for the Tigers after his little sojourn at the Bunnies in between?

Talking of paying players to play elsewhere, surely we aren’t still paying some of Roberts salary to play for the Tigers after his little sojourn at the Bunnies in between?

I think he was on similar money at Souths ... but if we are, it would end at the end of this season.

could Roberts be getting paid by 3 clubs, lol

Moral of the story - You want a pay increase? Play well enough to get noticed and then initiate a meeting with another club 'just cos' and leave your current club with little option but to say you are free to go. Boom, you've now got the club to do what you wanted but because you didn't 'officially' instigate it, you are free to negotiate a nice little upgrade.

Seems like a nice little loophole a good agent would exploit.

a day after Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis was quoted on SEN Radio saying the club "decided to move in a different direction", the Tigers have had a sudden change of heart. they have reportedly contacted his management and asked to re-open negotiations.

also on TPJ the SMH reporting that the Bulldogs have tabled a 3 year offer to him for around $2.1 million. the SMH also says It remains unclear how much Brisbane are willing to chip in for the remainder of this year and next year ... but if the offer is $2.1 millioon over 3 years (700k a season) would we even have to chip in anything?

Tigers want him this year ... Bulldogs want to wait until next year for him (they don't want to spend the money this year)

I think he was on similar money at Souths ... but if we are, it would end at the end of this season.

He might literally be getting a pie and coke from the tigers if two other clubs are chipping in already

I remember Bennett, paraphrasing, "Send him to me, I know James, I can fix him".... I'm sure Milfords quotes are taken out of context, but he could put his money where his craggy old mouth is suppose to be. Bennett knows what he is doing next year-Plant your flag with a Marque signing such as Milford.

He got into enough trouble here, and while he paid his penance, I can only imagine the shenanigans that’ll go down in Shitney

Yep. If nothing else I'm looking forward to seeing how far he goes off the rails. Not whether or not he will go off, because we all know he is certain to, but how far he will go. When a limp dick with zero credibility like Barrett is looking over your shoulder, it's a foregone conclusion.

Yep. If nothing else I'm looking forward to seeing how far he goes off the rails. Not whether or not he will go off, because we all know he is certain to, but how far he will go. When a limp dick with zero credibility like Barrett is looking over your shoulder, it's a foregone conclusion.
I reckon he'll be on his best behaviour. Call me crazy but I think he's a changed man. It's not like he's done anything wrong this year, has he? He discussed a contract with a potential employer, hardly evil stuff. I think him moving on is mostly roster balance and on field attitude because we're super stacked with backrowers.

Unless I'm forgetting things that is.

I would be offering a base of 4-5 and biasing a bonus 2-3 on performance for his total of 8 hunge .

eg . Run sideways in own 10 . 50 000 off .Jog and back into the defence then throw a useless off load on the ground 50 000 off .
Late shot on opposition halves 100 000 off . Crusher 100 000 . Jog when you should run in defence 100 000 .

I reckon he would win the Daly M if he could earn that 800 K . lol .

I reckon he'll be on his best behaviour. Call me crazy but I think he's a changed man. It's not like he's done anything wrong this year, has he? He discussed a contract with a potential employer, hardly evil stuff. I think him moving on is mostly roster balance and on field attitude because we're super stacked with backrowers.

I'm inclined to say the same. It has to be something culturally because he's hardly on huge money relative to what he can deliver and he's even mostly rained in his suspensions etc, so it can only be that he's culturally just not what the club wants going forward.

I'm inclined to say the same. It has to be something culturally because he's hardly on huge money relative to what he can deliver and he's even mostly rained in his suspensions etc, so it can only be that he's culturally just not what the club wants going forward.
Not sure about culturally... it might be more about how and where he fits into the team from a footy sense.

I think if you look over the years on this forum there has been a bit of "Jack Bird where should he play" when it comes to TPJ.

Second row: He's an offensive weapon, but his defence is suspect.

Prop: again offense is excellent, but his best games comprise 3 stints on the field, which can over complicate things and use up vital substitutions.

Lock: Similar to prop, but he can also bring ball playing to the position. From a team sense you need to have two locks rotating, because he wont get through the full 80

Bench: flexibility to play multiple positions, reduces his fatigue errors, explosive impact player to bring on.... but are you getting value for money

And across all positions his defence becomes suspect as he fatigues.

If you consider that we are effectively replacing TPJ with Capewell, then you are getting a far more reliable footy player that is a set and forget 80min second rower.

Given TPJ is off contract end of next year they were probably thinking he's a nice to have luxury type player, but right now we need to build a solid consistent core that we can rely on every week and know what we'll be getting.

Same here, didn't Petero take TPJ under his wing and mentor him late last year/this year? I guess if he goes down to Sydney old habits and bad influences could get him off the straight and narrow again, but afaik he's been really good since copping that huge penalty last year.

I have no issue with his behaviour lately. I just think he’s a middle forward and not a second rower. He is one of the few middle forwards who can really dominate a game in the early minutes when everyone is fresh. We had 2 overpriced middles with him and Lodge and now that Lodge is gone I would try to keep TPJ.
We have 2 over priced wingers as well with Oates and Isaako so I would rather shift one of them to save some money and play Cobbo instead. Croft is also over priced for a depth half so I would happily subsidise him to move him on and save a little money.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Broncorob
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.