OFFICIAL Patrick Carrigan re-signs

It’s probably something we should start doing though. 400max imo. 2 years. 2 years to make something of the hype/potential he has been lauded with.

I think he is worth a 3 year deal personally at around $400-450k, but at the same time, i agree as well we need to not hand out so many really long contracts to some of these younger guys on around that $300k a year mark when they havent even had 1 consistent year in first grade.

I am not saying he won't be a really good player either, I am just saying right now, as it stands with the unknowns on him coming back from a blown knee and the defensive deficiencies prior to being injured, ..............
Lets not forget the "bricks for hands" issues he has either......

Just because Kotoni has a bit of xfactor about him doesnt mean he should get a bigger contract on that alone. He got a massive contract upgrade on the back of a long term injury and being a bit of a grub and an idiot off the field. I was critical of his contract at the time and i still am, i dont think he deserved it based on his behavior. I'm pretty confident Kotoni wont stay out of trouble as well. I just dont see how anyone can justify Staggs getting a 4 year deal on big money with his injury issue ( lets not forget, he didnt even finish the season after his comeback ) on top of his other issues.

Like I said earlier, look at Carrigan in 2020 ( bit hard to use 2021 as an example as he didn't play enough because of injury ). Pat was 156 average running meters. Thats pretty good figures in a side hammered every week. Haas was averaging 175 running meters, not that big a gap in the scheme of things when you consider he is a freak of a player. Pat is also a player who makes others around him better players. He does a lot of the dirty, grunt work that lets others do their jobs better.

I don't see how you can say Robati and Riki should be in the same ball park as Carrigan. They have done nothing yet in first grade consistently enough to be talked about anywhere near the $400k mark. Thats been our major issue with our cap, paying these players who have a few good games big money. Flegler is a bit of an outlier in someways, but he's still on a good contract and regardless of who gave it to him, its a yardstick for others to look at. Thats not Donaghy's fault, but its still what we have to deal with.

Great post. If we want to start rebuilding our culture, guys like Carrigan are the ones that we should be rewarding, because that sets the standard that we want. Show good, honest players that they can come to Brisbane, work hard, stay out of trouble, and get rewarded, and we'll have a really solid foundation to build on. Then you add in some (preferably clean-skin) x-factor guys, and you got yourself a stew.

It's a shame our x-factor guys are far from clean-skins, because it throws this whole plan out...

Great post. If we want to start rebuilding our culture, guys like Carrigan are the ones that we should be rewarding, because that sets the standard that we want. Show good, honest players that they can come to Brisbane, work hard, stay out of trouble, and get rewarded, and we'll have a really solid foundation to build on. Then you add in some (preferably clean-skin) x-factor guys, and you got yourself a stew.

It's a shame our x-factor guys are far from clean-skins, because it throws this whole plan out...

I dont think you can have a team of all goody two shoes tbh, but i do think you need professional players who you just dont have to worry about. It will be interesting to see how we stand going forward under Donaghy with some of these players who repeatedly get into trouble.

He’s a good player, but in the Tolman mould. One dimensional stat bot.

He doesnt have a lot to his game, well, he hasnt shown anything different so far but he's the type of forward that you need in your rotation. I do think we have the players to have a really good prop rotation next year. I think him playing less minutes and getting him out of the lock role may free him up a bit more.

I dont think you can have a team of all goody two shoes tbh, but i do think you need professional players who you just dont have to worry about. It will be interesting to see how we stand going forward under Donaghy with some of these players who repeatedly get into trouble.

True, but I'd prefer it if it wasn't always our star players who are one drunken weekend away from the sack and running out in Roosters' colours within the fortnight.

All good points on all sides of this debate and I can certainly see where guys are coming from saying Carrigan is worth more. I don’t think Staggs should have been paid as much as he was either but that said, gun centres in this comp are few and far between, so paying a bit of a premium for that makes more sense than paying a premium for essentially a slightly above average prop of whom there are a dime a dozen in the comp.

Put it this way, you lose of a heck of a lot more of you replace a Staggs with an Arthars / Kennar than you do if you replace a Carrigan with a Jensen / James.

All good points on all sides of this debate and I can certainly see where guys are coming from saying Carrigan is worth more. I don’t think Staggs should have been paid as much as he was either but that said, gun centres in this comp are few and far between, so paying a bit of a premium for that makes more sense than paying a premium for essentially a slightly above average prop of whom there are a dime a dozen in the comp.

Put it this way, you lose of a heck of a lot more of you replace a Staggs with an Arthars / Kennar than you do if you replace a Carrigan with a Jensen / James.

I've got no doubt he will prove he is more than slightly above average. Still got a lot of development and upside.

Is Carrigan an X factor with the ability to make others around him better and win a game off his own bat though? Not at all and to be perfectly honest, if you pay him 450k, you have to pay Flegler, Robati, Riki, etc about the same. Don't let the supposed Flegler contract fool you, this was done prior to the current administration. In the salary cap era, unless you cheat you just can't play quality club men up to 500k.

I am not saying he won't be a really good player either, I am just saying right now, as it stands with the unknowns on him coming back from a blown knee and the defensive deficiencies prior to being injured, I think 350k is what he is worth and it is the interests of both parties to make a short extension and then re-evaluate.
You can't (afford to) have a forward pack full of X factor flashy players capable of winning a game off their own bat. Those type of players (other than Haas) tend to float in and out of games (Fifita) and are great when they are on and in the mood, not so much when they aren't. In a well balanced forward pack there has to be room for worker forwards who will do the 1%ers, the Andrew Gee, Gavin Allen, Mark Hohn, Trevor Matterson type of player.

When you add in that he does appear to have legitimate leadership claims in the future and he is a clean skin that presents well and is good for culture, if you can make a fair deal, this is the type of player you must keep. As for the defensive deficiencies, that to me appeared to be from him being overplayed and being knackered from trying to do too much.

Taking my tongue in cheek Carrigan glasses off for a moment and being serious, I think this kind of situation is going to happen as we move forward based on contracts we have offered to other players. We have rewarded players who have behaved badly or not proved anything with massive contracts. Using Patty as an example, he is obviously going to look at the contract Flegler got handed to him and want to be on a similar amount of money which isn't unreasonable from the players point of view. We aren't going to be able to Lowball players and expect them to stay
Flegler is on another level as a player to Carrigan . So is his contract . Makes sense ?

Flegler is on another level as a player to Carrigan . So is his contract . Makes sense ?

Ha ha, should have gone to specsavers, unless you are meaning Flegler is a level below, which he clearly is. What you said actually makes no sense. Flegler just got lucky our administration used to be pushovers.

You can't (afford to) have a forward pack full of X factor flashy players capable of winning a game off their own bat. Those type of players (other than Haas) tend to float in and out of games (Fifita) and are great when they are on and in the mood, not so much when they aren't. In a well balanced forward pack there has to be room for worker forwards who will do the 1%ers, the Andrew Gee, Gavin Allen, Mark Hohn, Trevor Matterson type of player.

When you add in that he does appear to have legitimate leadership claims in the future and he is a clean skin that presents well and is good for culture, if you can make a fair deal, this is the type of player you must keep. As for the defensive deficiencies, that to me appeared to be from him being overplayed and being knackered from trying to do too much.

He's a lot like Haas in terms of his defensive lapses. As you say, its when they are out on their feet.

I've edited the title, it's more messy now but also more truth.

Bitchy........

"......the dead weight, know as Carrigan, has rejected club's offer"​

Look ....Pat has got a good heart, I'm sure, but at best he's an honest plodder. We have better talent coming through.

I wish Pat well......somewhere else.

(btw....hopefully not at Redcliffe)

Tbf, that was only a real issue for him in the early rounds this year for some reason.
Thank you for your honesty......but, it's a real thing

and good players....the real good ones, the ones worth hanging onto, don't get it.

Active Now

• Bish
  • bb_gun
  • johnny plath
  • Robboi_321
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.