OFFICIAL Patrick Carrigan re-signs

If the $500,000 X 2 years deal is true (likely inflated aka newscorp "sources" prices), then I'm happy with it...
Reason is, supposedly he was asking for a longer deal. I'd take 500,000 for 2 years vs 4 or even 3 years at 400,000. Our middle depth is superb for the future. We will see in 3 years whether he is worth keeping at all vs willison and flegler (potentially big Money middles given their potential), 1 of them will likely go if we keep haas as the cash for 1 of them will be used for haas.

Very smart cap management I think when you look at the timelines, very smart...

Carrigan has shown on the field he's a bog-average first grader at best.

He has not played a game where he is worth 500k/season yet. I think there's far better out there for the some price tag.

I'm also not getting the carrigan hate on here. His form wasn't great at the start of last year but the year before he was deadset origin level. He hits in defence, he is a workhorse, hard to tackle, is a leader from all accounts and a nice bloke too supposedly. He is NOT PAYNE HAAS, no one is, and anyone looks shit playing next to him. He is not an intimidator or a highlights reel player but he is definetly the type of player every team needs. He isn't my favourite player either but to say we should drop him or not re-sign him is over the top.

It's possible the extension included a bump in pay for 2022 as well, it may not be $500k per year. Similar situation to the Flegler contract.

I was about to say the same thing. $1 million "upgrade" gives the jornos wiggle room in the accuracy stakes. It could be a completely new deal that is an upgrade on the last, making it $500k/year. Or it could be an upgrade/extension to his current deal where he gets an extra $200k on his already contracted year, plus 2 more years at $400k/yr.

I was about to say the same thing. $1 million "upgrade" gives the jornos wiggle room in the accuracy stakes. It could be a completely new deal that is an upgrade on the last, making it $500k/year. Or it could be an upgrade/extension to his current deal where he gets an extra $200k on his already contracted year, plus 2 more years at $400k/yr.
Which seems entirely likely really.

He has not played a game where he is worth 500k/season yet. I think there's far better out there for the some price tag.
Totally agree but there are many out there who think that he is a solid workhorse in the making. They could be right but as we all know, making assumptions in RL can really go pear shaped. Teams have to pay players on future potential these days or that player will jump elsewhere. It's just the nature of the beast in the current climate.

I'm also not getting the carrigan hate on here. His form wasn't great at the start of last year but the year before he was deadset origin level. He hits in defence, he is a workhorse, hard to tackle, is a leader from all accounts and a nice bloke too supposedly. He is NOT PAYNE HAAS, no one is, and anyone looks shit playing next to him. He is not an intimidator or a highlights reel player but he is definetly the type of player every team needs. He isn't my favourite player either but to say we should drop him or not re-sign him is over the top.

I've got no hate for Carrigan. It's just when ignoring all the hype, all I've seen from Carrigan on the field is 'meh'.

I do hate paying 500k for him. He's coming off a major injury, following a poor string of form. This is when we should not be paying top dollar for him. 500k is top dollar for everything Carrigan has shown.

No wonder Haas is pissed off at being on 600k then, and Capewell supposedly on 450k. Carrigan at 500k is honestly a shit deal. They should have tabled 400k and let him walk. This is probably the first decision from DD/Ikin that I completely disagree with but time will tell.

Payne was getting massive overs tbf before he even played a game of first grade. He was happy to sign a long contract on big money for a then unproven player so he cant have it both ways now he is performing brilliantly at NRL level. As good as Payne is, he's been an absolute grub off the field and made some really bad choices, so i think that needs to be taken into consideration when it comes to contract negotiations with him. He needs to keep his nose clean for at least until the end of next season, show everyone he has matured then we need to sit down with him and pay him what he is worth.

Still dont think $500k a year is really that much overboard for Carrigan. In todays salary cap its probably the same as him getting $350k a year 5 or 6 years ago. Went on record as saying i think $450k a year is reasonable for him, so an extra $50k a year for a bloke everyone at the club thinks really highly of isnt that big of a stretch. We are paying blokes who have barely done a thing in first grade $350k a year so $500k a year isnt that bad. My only concern, as it is with Kotoni, is the knee injury.

In 8 games last year Carrigan made 263 tackles and was just short of 1000 metres with an average of 117 Metres a game. Whilst that's not outstanding the general feeling is that was out of his best position. I think to play decent enough for such a short period of time you can't say he was out of form. Also considering I am fairly sure that he was ruled out pretty early in that 8th game meaning his stats would have gone up a fair bit. 12 months ago he was viewed as one of our best players and because he has 8 average (Not even that bad) rounds before getting injured he is some useless prick worth 300-350. To be honest if I was Carrigan and I was viewed as that cheap I wouldn't give a shit what there revised total was I'd tell them to get absolutely fucked. 500K is by no means significant overs considering he has great effects on and off the field. A worthy investment for long-term value.

I've got no hate for Carrigan. It's just when ignoring all the hype, all I've seen from Carrigan on the field is 'meh'.

I do hate paying 500k for him. He's coming off a major injury, following a poor string of form. This is when we should not be paying top dollar for him. 500k is top dollar for everything Carrigan has shown.

I really dont get this poor form stuff. He was pretty ordinary in the first 4 games, but he was getting back to his best before the injury. HArd to perform to really high levels for any young player in such a poor side. Thats hardly a string of poor form and he carried our pack along with Payne in 2020, which is no mean feat for two young forwards. In fact after Payne got injured he probably stepped up even more. Our props are always going to look a bit sub standard next to Payne, but i'm still of the opinion Carrigan and to a lesser extent Payne suffered at times with their defensive reads ( and they both have had really bad ones ) because we over used them.

I don't think you have watched NRL champion. Our joint best player in 2020 and we were getting railed every week, plus he had the added pressure of captain for most the season. Last season he was nowhere near as bad as everyone is complaining about. Put him at front row and he is well worth his weight in gold

Can't we just let the Dolphins take him?
Disgusted No Way GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

You're right it is top dollar for him. But
1. There is no doubt a fair bit of "journalistic creativity" in the salary, likely to be 700,000 by this time next year no doubt lol.
2. We are currently in a players market with the dolphins coming in so we may need to pay a little more for a few
3. It's top dollar for what he does on the field, but from all accounts he brings A LOT off the field, which is something we've been low on the last few years
4. It's a 2 year deal. This bit is an EXCELLENT piece of play by Donuts and Ikin and should not go overlooked.

Yeah they seem to change figures on demand to suit the narrative. I'm hoping Carrigan is really on closer to 400-450k and it's just Badel feeding BS figures. No doubt if Carrigan leaves in future he'd have been on 300k.
If the $500,000 X 2 years deal is true (likely inflated aka newscorp "sources" prices), then I'm happy with it...
Reason is, supposedly he was asking for a longer deal. I'd take 500,000 for 2 years vs 4 or even 3 years at 400,000. Our middle depth is superb for the future. We will see in 3 years whether he is worth keeping at all vs willison and flegler (potentially big Money middles given their potential), 1 of them will likely go if we keep haas as the cash for 1 of them will be used for haas.

Very smart cap management I think when you look at the timelines, very smart...
The piece is bylined Badel and Read. The source of the offer is "News Corp understands." The source says he's "tipped to sign" and the amount is "around $500K per season.

In my recent experience "News Corp understands" is code for a rock solid inside source. Mostly likely the club management. Given there's a quote from Ikin, you can bet it was an off-the-record comment from him that he wants Bennett to read. But the figure is implicitly rubbery (around) and they might expect him to sign, but it's no done deal.

I think all you can take away from this is they've upped their previous offer. I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

Regardless of all the chat I do hope we keep Patty. If the figure is true it’s not a huge overspend so if he doesn’t live up the the price tag it should only be about 200k too much over 2 years. Not exactly crippling the club. He could very well reach that level or above though.

Most of my concern is around extending Cobbo before next November.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Volvo Driver
  • Old Mate
  • john1420
  • Financeguy
  • Kev_Guz
  • heartly87
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • mrslong
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.