Paul "I am a Knob" Kent (Daily Telegraph)

Proof from Kent is what we need and from anyone else who cares, put up or shut up and then SUE if you want......I want to see Kent put in his place and made to apologise or pay damages. Who puts up with being called a cheat when innocent ???

Anonymous person said:
can we quit with the 'sue them' mentality? what is this, america?
When you are insulting the integrity of an organisation and it's players on National TV and on newspapers that reach tens of thousands of viewers you shouldn't make such accusations. I hope he gets sued

He stopped short of making an accusation. He was merely doing the trendy thing of sinking the boot into Brisbane for taking full advantage of the rules as they are. I am personally pleased that nearly every non-Broncos fan in the universe is walking around looking like they've got a mouth full of lemons.

unless I'm going mad I'm sure I heard him say Brisbane are cheating the cap.''I'm saying it'' he said.

Huge. said:
unless I'm going mad I'm sure I heard him say Brisbane are cheating the cap.''I'm saying it'' he said.
gUt, he sure did make the accusation.
Webcke said so are you making an allegation then he replies yes, I think they are cheating. I'm not sure if the word "think" changes anything because I am no lawyer but he then went on about Lockyer "could not possibly be on 250k" which is as close to possible as flat out saying we are cheats without actually saying it.

Webbie was on 4BC the other day as well and he said that he is insulted on behalf of Bruno Cullen and Andrew Gee in that people saying we are rorting the cap to sign Inglis are essentially saying that they are the 2 dumbest men alive given the current climate in RL and specifically in relation to Inglis being a central part of the Storm's rorting.

And yeah I would say that in a legal sense the he used the word 'think' probably means we would not win if we tried to sue.

And no I don't want us to go down the same "sue for everything" path of America (though I think we are pretty close to there already - but that's a whole other topic), but FFS these people cannot continue to throw around wild accusations as if they are fact with absolutely zero proof and if a defamation lawsuit is what it is going to take to stop them then so be it.

How could the Broncos win a defamation case against him? They can't prove a loss of reputation, and it's not hurting their income.

you're right Nashy - the club would not win a case. People like Kent know the defamation laws inside out and know exactly how far they can go without it being defamation in the legal sense of the word. However calling them cheats IMO is a direct attack on and does lead to loss of reputation, though again you are correct the club would have an impossible time proving it.

Oh yeah. I've got no doubt that it is defamation. But as said. The Broncos don't have a leg to stand on in court. Gotta love the law.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.