NEWS Payne: don't take my brother away

As his teammates were about to pack down again Souths, Payne Haas allegedly urged opposing half Adam Reynolds' to use his influence to keep Tevita Pangai Jr in a Broncos jersey next season.

Payne:

“I can‘t remember the whole ’convo,' we were getting pumped, but I figured ’Reyno’ could pull some strings, so I asked him to help keep Tevita."

“I really hope Tevita can stay. Tevita is like a brother to me. I hold him close to my heart. I am really close to Tevita and hopefully there is some way he can stay, I hope the Broncos can see eye-to-eye and find a way for him to be here.”

Screen1569601a6ba49076216bcd57337ee125

Peaches & Cream

"At the end of the day, I‘m a footy player here. I can’t control what’s going on with other players’ contracts, so I will keep training hard and putting in for the Broncos and if other players leave, I’ll roll with the punches."

“But I just feel that Tevita is one of the best forwards in the game on his day. He has probably been the most consistent he has ever been this year and I felt like it was weird that we were getting rid of him because he has been one of our best this year. Tevita brings that aggression and any opponent knows he is a pretty hard guy to handle.”

Ben Ikin is okay if he stays:

“At this stage Tevita will remain at the Broncos up until such time that we get some guidance from his agent that things may change. We are committed to getting the best we can from Tevita and all our players and creating the best environment from the players we‘ve got for the remainder of the year. We understand things will bubble away in the background and we will deal with whatever comes to us if and when any transfer deal is put to us.”

McHunt

Only if he’s in the middle and actually runs hard.

Same,it makes no sense to move him on if it is going to cost us better to see how he goes next year and take it from there.
I agree with Haas' view. I actually think TPJ has been as consistent as ever and he's top 3 in the BHQ POTY for a reason.

If he was in any off field drama, fair enough piss him off, but he's never been better on or off the field IMO.

Serious question, would you rather play with or against TPJ? He's that guy who will dominate the best player in the opposition and can win games just on that alone.

I agree with Haas' view. I actually think TPJ has been as consistent as ever and he's top 3 in the BHQ POTY for a reason.

If he was in any off field drama, fair enough piss him off, but he's never been better on or off the field IMO.

Serious question, would you rather play with or against TPJ? He's that guy who will dominate the best player in the opposition and can win games just on that alone.
When he is on you want him in your side 100% maybe they need to look at how they play him maybe off the bench when the sting has gone out of the defence.

When he is on you want him in your side 100% maybe they need to look at how they play him maybe off the bench when the sting has gone out of the defence.
that's my view too. tell him you get 2 x 20 mins stints and you need to bust your arse for those stints. tackle hard, run hard, do the dirty work.

i like TPJ and I think he's stayed on the straight and narrow since being read the riot act. he obviously wants to be here and looks to have learnt his lesson.

that's my view too. tell him you get 2 x 20 mins stints and you need to bust your arse for those stints. tackle hard, run hard, do the dirty work.

i like TPJ and I think he's stayed on the straight and narrow since being read the riot act. he obviously wants to be here and looks to have learnt his lesson.
Does he though?

He did shop himself to the Roosters and apparently the Tigers before we finally seemingly got the shits with him and told him to choof off.

Does he though?

He did shop himself to the Roosters and apparently the Tigers before we finally seemingly got the shits with him and told him to choof off.
Pretty sure we don't have all the information. It might be that most of us may think he was being shafted if we knew everything. Sometimes it's just a personal thing and who knows, TPJ might have offended someone higher up months and months ago forcing him to look around. Don't know but it's tough judging something/someone without knowing all the facts behind their decisions.

I want him to stay, but at the same time it'd take a severe beating to get it through to him to stop shopping himself around behind the club's back.

Pretty sure we don't have all the information. It might be that most of us may think he was being shafted if we knew everything. Sometimes it's just a personal thing and who knows, TPJ might have offended someone higher up months and months ago forcing him to look around. Don't know but it's tough judging something/someone without knowing all the facts behind their decisions.
Honestly, I don’t particularly care if he wants to be at the club or not. I equally don’t think you (I don’t actually mean you) can say with certainty that he does, which is why I asked the question I did.

But if he did indeed feel he was being pushed out the door, all he had to do was ask the club for a release.

Plenty of players do and, if nothing else, it would provide him with absolute clarity as to his standing at the club. Stay or go.

For so long I thought he was just young and stupid, but the more I see, the more I think he is part of the cultural problem we have at the club. So I’ve finally come around to the idea that we are better off without him (but do also agree that we shouldn’t be paying him to play for someone else, as we’ve already got way too many of those financial handbrakes at the club).

Has Ikin's position softened on TPJ?

ATM, the only reason to get rid of TPJ, IMO, would be if he's causing issues and division in the dressing room.

I do wonder if Kevvie's and the clubs stance were due to the reports of TPJ meeting with Maguire (essentially shopping himself around), which wouldn't be the first time ... it could very well have been a message that the club wasn't prepared to be a consolation prize.

You could well be right but I do remember comments at the time this broke from Donuts that seemed to heavily imply TPJ had shopped himself around again but I can't find them and it is certainly the case the implied meaning was not what actually happened.

Has Ikin's position softened on TPJ?

ATM, the only reason to get rid of TPJ, IMO, would be if he's causing issues and division in the dressing room.

I do wonder if Kevvie's and the clubs stance were due to the reports of TPJ meeting with Maguire (essentially shopping himself around), which wouldn't be the first time ... it could very well have been a message that the club wasn't prepared to be a consolation prize.
I believe when Kevvie said they were looking to move forward with the squad he had that at that point he said the Broncos were happy to keep TPJ on the books next year, but it was also mentioned that they wouldn't stand in his way if he found a new contract.

So in that sense I'd say the Broncos think TPJ's $650k can be better spent elsewhere and if he's looking to get upgraded to $750k-$800k from 2023 onwards then potentially they dont think it would be worth it when they've already got Haas (who they want to upgrade) and multiple forwards on the books... especially now that we have picked up Capewell who is extremely consistent and at a high level.

$750k-$850k can get you a BSmith... I'd say that would be a better use of salary cap when you've got Capewell, Piakura, Riki, TC, etc. already on the books

I would like him to stay, but I think in the middle with Hass would be the best spot. While he is good on the edge, the team starts to over rely on him to do something magical whenever we get close to the line. We end up with no shape, and go back to "pass it to tpj and see what happens".

Maybe they were trying to shift Pangai or Lodge, one or the other. Knights pulled Lodge offer so they shopped Pangai, Warriors came in for Lodge so don't need to shift Pangai.

He does seem like he could be surplus next year. Robati is going great and Capewell will play left.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • kiwibronco
  • dirtyharry
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • mitch222
  • bert_lifts
  • Bish
  • Mister Wright
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • ostin86
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.