NEWS Payne: don't take my brother away

As his teammates were about to pack down again Souths, Payne Haas allegedly urged opposing half Adam Reynolds' to use his influence to keep Tevita Pangai Jr in a Broncos jersey next season.

Payne:

“I can‘t remember the whole ’convo,' we were getting pumped, but I figured ’Reyno’ could pull some strings, so I asked him to help keep Tevita."

“I really hope Tevita can stay. Tevita is like a brother to me. I hold him close to my heart. I am really close to Tevita and hopefully there is some way he can stay, I hope the Broncos can see eye-to-eye and find a way for him to be here.”

Screen1569601a6ba49076216bcd57337ee125

Peaches & Cream

"At the end of the day, I‘m a footy player here. I can’t control what’s going on with other players’ contracts, so I will keep training hard and putting in for the Broncos and if other players leave, I’ll roll with the punches."

“But I just feel that Tevita is one of the best forwards in the game on his day. He has probably been the most consistent he has ever been this year and I felt like it was weird that we were getting rid of him because he has been one of our best this year. Tevita brings that aggression and any opponent knows he is a pretty hard guy to handle.”

Ben Ikin is okay if he stays:

“At this stage Tevita will remain at the Broncos up until such time that we get some guidance from his agent that things may change. We are committed to getting the best we can from Tevita and all our players and creating the best environment from the players we‘ve got for the remainder of the year. We understand things will bubble away in the background and we will deal with whatever comes to us if and when any transfer deal is put to us.”

McHunt

As others have said, Pangai has stopped himself around a couple of times now, and when players do that I think you have to let them go really.
Sure, if you have all the facts it would be a fair call. I think the first time he allegedly did it it was under Seeplod so understandable, yes? Probably a bunch of players put feelers out.

The second time we really don't know if he did any of the calling. I wonder how many posters would be prepared to gamble their entire years wages on the claim ' TPJ shopped himself twice'?? I fucking wouldn't and I love a punt.

I wonder if the club are using this situation to their advantage.

- TPJ goes fishing around for an upgrade
- Haas starts looking over the fence and not being happy about his current contract
- the club says we can’t afford to upgrade TPJ so we won’t get in the way and make it very public
- Haas starts complaining about his mate being moved on
- the club comes out and says “we’ve thought about your contract, Payne, and we think your worth close to a million a year for 10 years… and we are doing all we can to make cap room in the forwards to afford that contract”
- “can we please keep TPJ”
- “We would love to keep TPJ but I thought you both wanted that big upgrade?”

Has Ikin's position softened on TPJ?

ATM, the only reason to get rid of TPJ, IMO, would be if he's causing issues and division in the dressing room.

I do wonder if Kevvie's and the clubs stance were due to the reports of TPJ meeting with Maguire (essentially shopping himself around), which wouldn't be the first time ... it could very well have been a message that the club wasn't prepared to be a consolation prize.
I don't think so. He's only acknowledging they're contractually obligated to see out their deal, and that it's in the club's best interests to get value back on it by playing him. Ikin's comments are careful and guarded.

From afar, it looks to me like Kevvie's earmarked him as a destabilizing influence or someone who's too hard to bring into the fold. Whether that's aligning himself to the playbook, or around the squad, it's too hard to say because Tevita can certainly bat his eyelashes and play the game with the media.

No idea whether he was prematurely scouting for other clubs. Tevita says not. The Broncos say not. But the smoke is thick on that one, and the club is now openly flogging him for a subsidy.

That Payne wants him to stay, and the Broncos want to please Payne, makes it look like Tevita wants to stay and is being pushed out due to them either needing the money, or not wanting him around the other players. Again, no idea, but that says to me the club sees Tevita as a bad influence on Payne. That they don't want the pair of them forming a stubborn clique.

While Tevita has been one of our best this season, it's been a season in which we've lacked cohesion, and slid to the bottom of the table. Despite his flashes of brilliance, he hasn't been winning us games. Unlike the immediate transformation we saw with Staggs, Gamble, Robati and Kelly.

Again this is all pure speculation, but the message the club has been sending is it wants to attract players of a certain character, and it wants to get rid of Tevita. Reading between the lines this appears to be a comment on Tevita's character. Which is a shame because he's a fan favourite.

I don't think so. He's only acknowledging they're contractually obligated to see out their deal, and that it's in the club's best interests to get value back on it by playing him. Ikin's comments are careful and guarded.

From afar, it looks to me like Kevvie's earmarked him as a destabilizing influence or someone who's too hard to bring into the fold. Whether that's aligning himself to the playbook, or around the squad, it's too hard to say because Tevita can certainly bat his eyelashes and play the game with the media.

No idea whether he was prematurely scouting for other clubs. Tevita says not. The Broncos say not. But the smoke is thick on that one, and the club is now openly flogging him for a subsidy.

That Payne wants him to stay, and the Broncos want to please Payne, makes it look like Tevita wants to stay and is being pushed out due to them either needing the money, or not wanting him around the other players. Again, no idea, but that says to me the club sees Tevita as a bad influence on Payne. That they don't want the pair of them forming a stubborn clique.

While Tevita has been one of our best this season, it's been a season in which we've lacked cohesion, and slid to the bottom of the table. Despite his flashes of brilliance, he hasn't been winning us games. Unlike the immediate transformation we saw with Staggs, Gamble, Robati and Kelly.

Again this is all pure speculation, but the message the club has been sending is it wants to attract players of a certain character, and it wants to get rid of Tevita. Reading between the lines this appears to be a comment on Tevita's character. Which is a shame because he's a fan favourite.
On a slightly related note I was thinking about the apparent disconnect between what Kev says and what the club seems to actually want or do. This might be an overly optimistic theory based on the fact Kev has lied or got it wrong continually since starting, however…

Kev being the new coach would start to rub players the wrong way with all the big changes and player cuts. This makes it hard to motivate the troops and keep the dressing room on his side. Kev coming out and saying “they’re not going anywhere!” despite it being an obvious lie, and the statements from the front office staff and Kev himself, removing Kev from roster decision making and placing ir on Ikin - it allows him to at least pretended to have no control over it, protecting the players views on Kev personally and placing it on “the broncos” faceless office.

Kev can no play dumb and back the players in the media and to the group while Ikin acts as the tough decision making suit.

Sure, if you have all the facts it would be a fair call. I think the first time he allegedly did it it was under Seeplod so understandable, yes? Probably a bunch of players put feelers out.

The second time we really don't know if he did any of the calling. I wonder how many posters would be prepared to gamble their entire years wages on the claim ' TPJ shopped himself twice'?? I fucking wouldn't and I love a punt.
I want to start by saying I am not looking for an argument or to be a prick. You are you, and you have your views on things. More power to you. But for 4 years I have read posts like the one above about having to know all the facts before you post something.

BHQ, and any other discussion forum by virtue of their very nature, wouldn’t exist if people were only allowed to post indisputable facts. If that was all that was permitted, the forum would contain nothing more than threads like this one. No participation, no discussion. Surely you understand this?

So honestly, I am not sure I understand why it’s such a big deal to you that people discuss, (and this is the key) in a civilised manner, their opinion / positions on situations like this one. By and large, as long as it isn’t slanderous, libellous or malicious (and like this situation, even has some basis in reality, as it has been widely reported), I don’t think people really need to preface their posts with “in my opinion” or “I believe / think”, as it is pretty much a given on a platform like this one. Indeed, I would think the only preface required should be when someone is posting an absolute fact, for example, “I know for a fact that…”.

BHQ isn’t a court of law. Nor is it the Broncos board room. If someone thinks TPJ shopped himself around twice based on numerous published reports stating as much, true or not, posting about it on here won’t get TPJ sent to jail, nor have his contract torn up. The news was already in the Twitterverse. In reality, it will most likely mean absolutely nothing to anyone other than you.

Again, not looking to be a prick, I genuinely just don’t understand why it matters to you so much. Anyway, peace old fella ✌️

I agree with all of this, but I think Huge’s point was missed also. He’s right in that we don’t know all the facts and likely never will, so it’s worth considering that the truth could actually be a long way from any of our scenario opinions, which is why anyone who is resolutely adamant that their opinion is even close to the truth should be reminded that they really have no idea.

At least, that’s what I took out of this tangent.
Good point, no argument from me 👍

But honestly, I guess I rarely perceive someone posting something on here as an absolute fact. I guess it could just be a case of the lens each individual looks through though.

I think @Huge has a valid point, we don’t know the facts, how can we unless we were Big Mal and were lurking behind the toilet block when it all happened? I think it is all good to be reminded of perspective that what we think we know may not be the truth. The point about taking a punt is just Huge being Huge with this type of comment so we all kind of just roll our eyes and move on and that’s fine, the rest is a valid point to consider.

@JAHHW does nail it though with his post, everything on here that doesn’t come from Smokin’ Joe or Wolfie about Carrigan is almost all speculation and that is exactly what a forum is for.

I think @Huge has a valid point, we don’t know the facts, how can we unless we were Big Mal and were lurking behind the toilet block when it all happened? I think it is all good to be reminded of perspective that what we think we know may not be the truth. The point about taking a punt is just Huge being Huge with this type of comment so we all kind of just roll our eyes and move on and that’s fine, the rest is a valid point to consider.

@JAHHW does nail it though with his post, everything on here that doesn’t come from Smokin’ Joe or Wolfie about Carrigan is almost all speculation and that is exactly what a forum is for.
I should add, it absolutely wasn’t my intention to derail the thread and am sincerely not trying to attack @Huge.

Anyway, I’ll shut up about it now.

TPJ and Haas best buddies hey? Could it be a bromance to rival myself and @Huge 😉

I want to start by saying I am not looking for an argument or to be a prick. You are you, and you have your views on things. More power to you. But for 4 years I have read posts like the one above about having to know all the facts before you post something.

BHQ, and any other discussion forum by virtue of their very nature, wouldn’t exist if people were only allowed to post indisputable facts. If that was all that was permitted, the forum would contain nothing more than threads like this one. No participation, no discussion. Surely you understand this?

So honestly, I am not sure I understand why it’s such a big deal to you that people discuss, (and this is the key) in a civilised manner, their opinion / positions on situations like this one. By and large, as long as it isn’t slanderous, libellous or malicious (and like this situation, even has some basis in reality, as it has been widely reported), I don’t think people really need to preface their posts with “in my opinion” or “I believe / think”, as it is pretty much a given on a platform like this one. Indeed, I would think the only preface required should be when someone is posting an absolute fact, for example, “I know for a fact that…”.

BHQ isn’t a court of law. Nor is it the Broncos board room. If someone thinks TPJ shopped himself around twice based on numerous published reports stating as much, true or not, posting about it on here won’t get TPJ sent to jail, nor have his contract torn up. The news was already in the Twitterverse. In reality, it will most likely mean absolutely nothing to anyone other than you.

Again, not looking to be a prick, I genuinely just don’t understand why it matters to you so much. Anyway, peace old fella ✌️
Sorry mate but I have never ever stated you must know all the facts before making a statement. That's a strawman argument or if you'd like a misrepresentation of my view. What I do think though is that before making a declaration of absolute certainty that a person should have all the facts. These are two different positions.

I agree with all of this, but I think Huge’s point was missed also. He’s right in that we don’t know all the facts and likely never will, so it’s worth considering that the truth could actually be a long way from any of our scenario opinions, which is why anyone who is resolutely adamant that their opinion is even close to the truth should be reminded that they really have no idea.

At least, that’s what I took out of this tangent.
I agree about discussion and even if all the facts are unknown it's still absolutely fine to have robust discussion and debate. It isn't necessary to know everything and frankly it's probably not possible most of the time. Thanks big D for expressing my position. I always think I should judge others as I would wish to be judged.

Another way of saying it is ' please let me tell you everything that happened and why I did what I did and then make up your mind' . With regards to TPJ I wasn't bothered in the slightest that he might make enquiries about a new job or new employer. It doesn't tell me that he wouldn't do his best while he works for the Broncos.

I should add, it absolutely wasn’t my intention to derail the thread and am sincerely not trying to attack @Huge.

Anyway, I’ll shut up about it now.

TPJ and Haas best buddies hey? Could it be a bromance to rival myself and @Huge 😉
All good😃 Didn't feel attacked and there's times I need a smack so, happy days. I hope my view's clearer now though. I'm moving on now.

I'm fairly confident it happened.

I'm fairly confident it happened.
A years wages confident? I have no idea who called whom but it's not impossible to believe that a club, cognizant of the fact that TPJ was unhappy in 2020 and their club being in need of firepower might make a call , either directly or indirectly. Like WT might have called TPJ's agent and said they want to have a chat and TPJ simply said, sure I will listen. I mean it's possible, right?

No matter what though I don't have any issues with TPJ calling other clubs, al, 15 if he likes, superleague and jap rugby too. It doesn't mean he won't play well when he's here or that he's any less committed. You're a longtime retired and thinking a club cares is fraught. People may care about you but clubs...

It makes you wonder who else the broncos would have asked Reynolds about for a possible signing for next year.

A years wages confident? I have no idea who called whom but it's not impossible to believe that a club, cognizant of the fact that TPJ was unhappy in 2020 and their club being in need of firepower might make a call , either directly or indirectly. Like WT might have called TPJ's agent and said they want to have a chat and TPJ simply said, sure I will listen. I mean it's possible, right?

No matter what though I don't have any issues with TPJ calling other clubs, al, 15 if he likes, superleague and jap rugby too. It doesn't mean he won't play well when he's here or that he's any less committed. You're a longtime retired and thinking a club cares is fraught. People may care about you but clubs...
I think the problem is more around the fact that if he does indeed do this without the Broncos permission, it is yet another breach of his contract.

I think the problem is more around the fact that if he does indeed do this without the Broncos permission, it is yet another breach of his contract.
Is it though? I don't know what's in a contract but I can't see that talking would be a breach.

Is it though? I don't know what's in a contract but I can't see that talking would be a breach.
Obviously I too don’t know what is in the contract, but I was of the understanding that unless you seek, and are approved for, a release from your current contract, a player cannot discuss with another club the possibility of exiting their current contract.

Otherwise, what’s the point of the contract?

Active Now

• HVbronco
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • phoenix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Wolfie
  • Big Del
  • mitch222
  • Ronald
  • Maroon4life
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.