Payne Haas 2019 NRL Rookie of the Year

As I said in another thread, get on for next year. He’ll play more games, we’ll win more and he’ll be our best every week
Yeah, usually Broncos don't get Dally M because we are filled with superstars (Lockyer never winning one despite being arguably the best in the world for a 10 year period). But moving forward, we don't really have many stars that will steal points. I'd think 90% of our Dally M points would be between Haas, Fifita and Milford next year.

So, so well deserved. The guy is a fucking machine.

Amazing how many people blowing up about it with conspiracy claims no idea of how the actual system works or the rules.

Prop of the year as well. Would have been fairly close if he played those 4 games, and if Fifita didn't start to steal his points the back end of the season.

Could be the greatest forward of all time.

Prop of the year also, massive congrats Payne - well deserved!!

Has anyone ever won rookie of the year and Dally M in the same year?

Don't think so(I assume you mean Dally M player of the year?), I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever won rookie of the year and Dally M in the same year?

If you mean Rookie of the Year and a Dally M Positional award then yes.

Jeff Masterman in '81 and Menzies in '94.

Haas is the first prop to ever do it.

If you mean Rookie of the Year and a Dally M Positional award then yes.

Jeff Masterman in '81 and Menzies in '94.

Haas is the first prop to ever do it.
Thanks.

I did mean rookie and player of the year though.

What could have been I suppose.

At the time I supported the Broncos standing him down at the start of the season, and I still do, but you have to wonder how close he would have been if it weren’t for that.

It's doubtful Haas would have won the Dally M if he wasn't suspended the first 4 games.

We won one game during that period, that would have hurt his chances.

...did Taumalolo play Prop in his rookie year? If not then for a back rower those are outstanding numbers...
[automerge]1570055494[/automerge]
...also, last 2 Dally M winners are fullbacks....

We really need to get our fullback situation sorted out..

Last edited:
Really hard not to get overexcited by this guy. I'm really trying to remain objective and conservative but I honestly don't think it's an overstatement to say that if this guy can continue on his current trajectory he has the potential to be the best Forward to ever play the game.

Last edited:
Such a big, mobile bloke with speed and agility, I’d love to see him posted wider (say three in) every now and then when we are the opposition 10 or off scrums when close to the opposition line.

Even if he isn’t used, him being there will absolutely terrify the edge defence and open spaces elsewhere.

That said, I suppose we do already have Fifita doing that but didn’t have the halves to exploit it.

Regardless, I still think those 2 standing either side, three in, is a scary proposition for any defence.

Add a hard running, quick fullback sniffing around the middle or on their hip and we have quite the offence close to the line.

.............................................................****........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which makes it more impressive given Taumalolo had a ton of games under his belt by then, if Haas is this good so early in his career and continues to work hard and improve, oh boy.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Manofoneway
  • Skathen
  • johnny plath
  • The Don
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • RolledOates
  • kiwibronco
  • Kev_Guz
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.