PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

How about scrap the cap, give no NRL funding to teams for salary implications, and let them fund themselves for the next 5 years on only the gate. Some teams will die, and that way the fans will determine what a player is worth, not the safety net of $10 Mill from NRL. It would be similar to the EPL in that membership and ticketing will determine if a club survives, to much in players, tickets go up, attendance drops and vice versa. It will bring clubs back in line with expectations. If this was put into force along with a two tiered system involving relegation we would see success stories come from division 2 and watch "big" money teams go bust. It would be worth looking into.

How about scrap the cap, give no NRL funding to teams for salary implications, and let them fund themselves for the next 5 years on only the gate. Some teams will die, and that way the fans will determine what a player is worth, not the safety net of $10 Mill from NRL. It would be similar to the EPL in that membership and ticketing will determine if a club survives, to much in players, tickets go up, attendance drops and vice versa. It will bring clubs back in line with expectations. If this was put into force along with a two tiered system involving relegation we would see success stories come from division 2 and watch "big" money teams go bust. It would be worth looking into.
In a perfect world, this would be a good concept. In the real world where the NRL is totally reliant on Ch 9 and Fox for survival, this is totally unrealistic.

Let it all out, let it flow. Now that DB is gone you'll need a new target so, like rhe'saknob have at it.
Ok i will...part of the shit stain on this great club has gone but the ones responsible for getting us to this depth need to be punted ..from the boardroom to the playing group. That's my opinion and I'm sure a few other supporters would agree.
There won't be no quick fix like the rorters going from spooners to premiers as the NswRL will want to keep us where they have us especially if they're considering a second Brisbane team.

'Why should I bust a gut for half what the other guys are getting?'

I struggle to believe this with sportsmen.......

I believe ......sportsmen play to win and to be the best they can be, weather its on 50c or on 5 mil.

Last edited:
Haas will be good with a good coach.... would like to see him get some mongrel and get the ball at full speed instead of his standing starts, plus needs a offload cause opposition are putting 3 into tackles on him so there has to be some open space around him. A descent fullback with speed would help backing him and Tpj up

If he becomes the finest prop in the game, yes. You see a big difference between 800k and 1,000,000. I don't. I didn't say it's his current value but if he puts in I could easily see him ramping up each season to a million.
Haas signed a $600k a year a season as an 18 year old with 3 games under his belt, sure he may be slightly underpaid at the moment but he’s been getting paid bank for nearly 2.5 years now when it was all on potential. His next negotiation is going to be frightening tho.

I struggle to believe this with sportsmen.......

I believe ......sportsmen play to win and to be the best they can be, weather its on 50c or on 5 mil.
You have more faith in human nature than I. What I believe happens is a person can end up with two masters in the same brain.

I think I can explain my meaning a little better.
Haas gets thrown the ball, 15 years of rehearsal(fun !) kicks in because it's ingrained and automatic and he goes through the motions without giving a thought to what he earns and certainly not his relative value. Absolutely no thought here.

It's the quieter moments, other guys having their turn, out the back of play, on the other side of play, just jogging around. That's when the mind has time to consider things ,even if not consciously.

If an athlete (or anyone) is highly motivated to achieve something NOTHING matters, well certainly negative thoughts and feelings are suppressed. A person focuses on their goals. In my mind Haas still has his automatic pilot game, his pride in performance game but for me at least his 'give it everything I've got' game is absent.

I don't blame him because I believe it's human to feel that way. What's absent is desire because I think he feels somewhat stupid and shortsighted and undervalued by the club. The stupid and shortsighted refers to trusting club legends and others for signing what really is a plodders contract. If WB was still here he'd quietly tell Payne, I'll look after you and Payne would run through hell for him.

You have more faith in human nature than I. What I believe happens is a person can end up with two masters in the same brain.

Haas gets thrown the ball, 15 years of rehearsal(fun !) kicks in because it's ingrained and automatic and he goes through the motions without giving a thought to what he earns and certainly not his relative value. Absolutely no thought here.

It's the quieter moments, other guys having their turn, out the back of play, on the other side of play, just jogging around. That's when the mind has time to consider things ,even if not consciously.

If an athlete (or anyone) is highly motivated to achieve something NOTHING matters, well certainly negative thoughts and feelings are suppressed. A person focuses on their goals. In my mind Haas still has his automatic pilot game, his pride in performance game but for me at least his 'give it everything I've got' game is absent.

I don't blame him because I believe it's human to feel that way. What's absent is desire because I think he feels somewhat stupid and shortsighted and undervalued by the club. The stupid and shortsighted refers to trusting club legends and others for signing what really is a plodders contract. If WB was still here he'd quietly tell Payne, I'll look after you and Payne would run through hell for him.

This bloke is amazing!

Best prop in the game atm. I would argue he is the most talented and physically gifted prop the Broncos have ever had....and he's only 19.

It's possible that there are other props that can match his impact, but none of them can hold a candle to his engine. The only two I can think of are Lolo, (even though he is a lock) and Paul Gallen in his prime.

If Lodge, Haas, and TPJ can bring that kind of effort consistently than we will dominate opposition toward packs. Just like we bullied those Roosters girls!

And why is no one talking about the fact the Payne Haas looks like King Kong!!!! They're almost the same size too :)
Let’s a lot of soft tries in on his line though. Maybe Bellamy can sort his issues out. Who the hell is Lolo?

Last edited:
Ok i will...part of the shit stain on this great club has gone but the ones responsible for getting us to this depth need to be punted ..from the boardroom to the playing group. That's my opinion and I'm sure a few other supporters would agree.
There won't be no quick fix like the rorters going from spooners to premiers as the NswRL will want to keep us where they have us especially if they're considering a second Brisbane team.
Why are you so paranoid about a second Brisbane team? Brisbane has a big population and many of them have always hated the broncos or are you just afraid the broncos can’t even be the best league team in the city?

Why are you so paranoid about a second Brisbane team? Brisbane has a big population and many of them have always hated the broncos or are you just afraid the broncos can’t even be the best league team in the city?
Paranoid!!! Just an opinion....apparently there's a million supporters....plenty to go round

Haas signed a $600k a year a season as an 18 year old with 3 games under his belt, sure he may be slightly underpaid at the moment but he’s been getting paid bank for nearly 2.5 years now when it was all on potential. His next negotiation is going to be frightening tho.
I thought it was 500k a season, 6 years, ???

Paynes money is more than reasonable for his age, we paid him overs early and will get the better of the deal towards the end of the contract, it just highlights the stupid and irresponsible money the Titans are paying Fifita.

Paranoid!!! Just an opinion....apparently there's a million supporters....plenty to go round
agree I may have misunderstood your post but it just seems an overwhelming sentiment on here the Broncos should have Australia's third largest city to themselves.

Even the 2020 Broncos?

Well.......I don't think any player was playing like shit "on purpose"......simply because they believed they weren't being paid enough.

As an employer....when someone comes to me and asks for a pay rise and I don't believe its worthy, if I'm told by his supervisors or notice myself that said employee is now working with a bad attitude and is slacking off....it generally only ends one way.

Love it. Huge the Haas Whisperer

Active Now

• Browny
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • LittleDavey
  • Fitzy
  • phoenix
  • BroncosAlways
  • mitch222
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • Manofoneway
  • Horseheadsup
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • MrMoore
  • Alec
  • Mister Wright
  • kiwibronco
  • Waynesaurus
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.