PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

Preaching to the choir but he just needs to be playing 50-60 minutes at the absolute maximum.

he’s playing conservatively and that does nothing but dampen every aspect of his game.

reduce his game time and his efforts will mean more and have a greater positive effect for the team

can we close the thread now

He has great athleticism and believe his deficiencies are coachable. This thread is about him though.
It is more import for a front rower to be moving up and hitting than other players. He literally tracks backwards off the line and embraces rather than forward contact.

His play the ball speed is similar but I believe thats from held call to ball played. It doesn't includes the dragged out post contact metres which allows the defence to reset.

He needs his minutes cut, he needs more aggression, he needs to be coached to catch at the advantage line and get to play the ball quickly and he needs to be taught to move up and hit in defence.

I remain unsure of your point as it relates to Haas. Again, the valid points you raise apply to virtually everyone in the team.

I am not saying you are wrong, only that the thread targets Haas and as such, is irrelevant as the issues raised apply equally to everyone. It's the thread that's the problem for me, not the valid issues about rucks and ball playing that are coaching issues.

The issues you identify are complex: Pre-contact metres, post contact metres, dealing with wrestling defences, PTB efficiency, poor dummy half service, poor halves combinations, etc etc.

They are, incidentally, about habits, bad habits, which are coached. Bad habits are like addictions, easy to learn, extremely difficult to break. That in large part explains why our bad habits around ruck play explain our shitty performances, and apply to everyone. Equally, "good" habits, coached consistently over years = good performances: Storm, Roosters and now Panthers. Go figure about coaching at the Broncos. We are still persisting with the bad habit of a retreating defence that goes back to at least 2015 but has outlived its usefulness, separate to the failure of good coaching to drill communication and line coordination. The best teams have it: drilled habits that don't need contemplation. They become automatic. They are game basics which, when mastered, allow the spine to create on the back of them.

Again, this thread is pointless other than to again highlight what is wrong with the entire team, and has been for years.

Last edited:
Yes and no ... I want Qld to win so why would I want NSW having one of the best props in the game in their side.

Also this thread has already been /threaded... so why is not closed yet??
Why would a thread be closed when it's getting constant discussion?
So let's assume Fittler continues with his 1 prop on the bench plan, you would pick him ahead of Klemmer, Saifiti and Trbojevic? I'd take Haas ahead of Vaughan, RCG and a few others I'm sure will be mentioned. But I'd probably take Junior Paulo on the bench, as he would be more effective in the role for NSW.
He'd be in my NSW side..

Are you seriously suggesting Haas is a problem? If you put him in the Storm or Roosters side he'd be the best prop in the game. The Broncos are the problem.. Not Haas.
Have you actually read my posts? Or did you see the thread title and just start typing?

Why would a thread be closed when it's getting constant discussion?

So let's assume Fittler continues with his 1 prop on the bench plan, you would pick him ahead of Klemmer, Saifiti and Trbojevic? I'd take Haas ahead of Vaughan, RCG and a few others I'm sure will be mentioned. But I'd probably take Junior Paulo on the bench, as he would be more effective in the role for NSW.

Have you actually read my posts? Or did you see the thread title and just start typing?
Klemmer has been shit this year. So there is your spot

Klemmer has been shit this year. So there is your spot
Haas hasn't been brilliant. And Klemmer has years of experience in the bank. Are you the type to just pick on form and not care about previous performances? Wouldn't pick someone like Gagai for QLD?

Haas hasn't been brilliant. And Klemmer has years of experience in the bank. Are you the type to just pick on form and not care about previous performances? Wouldn't pick someone like Gagai for QLD?
Um. I'd say haas has had a better season than most props in the league, his form has dropped off in the last month or so. But he has still been better than most

Sorry I didn't even bother reading the rest of your message. 😂
Klemmer hasn't really performed that well in origin?

I think the better question would be is he playing to his potential or is he capable of playing even better? Then the answer is yes IMO. He's still going great, but he's got the skills to be even better.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, have to agree with the OP.

Based on last nights performance this bloke is well and truly overrated.

Last nights stats
Zero tackles
Zero meters
Zero hit ups
Ffs Zero offloads

He was nowhere to be seen

FMD what a waste of money

The question I would ask is, in a good team with some line speed and likely alot more possesion, which player in the competition would get more run meters then Haas?

The question I would ask is, in a good team with some line speed and likely alot more possesion, which player in the competition would get more run meters then Haas?

Lolo.. But he's the best forward in the game so.. yeah..

It's our spine that needs sorting out. We can't move Dearden from 7 now. I think he should stay there.

As far as I'm concerned 1. 6 and 9 are wide open for competition. Milford and Croft are useless and have been useless for most of their careers. The sooner we get rid of them and Jack Bird, the more cap we will have and the more chance of us signing someone like Cam Munster..

I'd much prefer to see Staggs in the spine. He could play fullback aswell as 6. I'm keen to see how he goes this weekend.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • MrMoore
  • Old Mate
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.