PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

I wonder what happened to Reyter or whatever his second name was.

He's just had a brother die of a terminal illness, and he has had that hanging over his head the whole year with probably the shittiest coach we've every had. How old is he? 20?
He'll live up to his expectations, just not this year. Pointless thread.

He's been coached by the worst coach to ever pick up a clipboard in the NRL and still managed to be a beast. He's not overrated.

Would you pick him in your Australian and NSW sides?
Yes and no ... I want Qld to win so why would I want NSW having one of the best props in the game in their side.

Also this thread has already been /threaded... so why is not closed yet??

He's been coached by the worst coach to ever pick up a clipboard in the NRL and still managed to be a beast. He's not overrated.

don't talk about Bennett like that ... I know he's past it, but he still has a decent record

Payne Haas has plenty of issues which broncos should be able to coach out. His defence is probably close to the worst in the league. Our middle has been the biggest issue this year and he has been the constant. He is the worst front rower in the league in moving off the line and hitting. He actually moves backwards and absorbs contact then up and hit. No surprise we had our best game the week he wasn't playing.

In attack he is extremely athletic but he slows the team momentum with slow post contact metres. The good teams are very fast from contact to the play the ball - post contact metres are a hindrance unless tied to a line break.

Front rowers need to play to a simple system. I would rather two 40 minute stints of Kennedy following systemic play than 80 minutes of current Haas.

When Haas was out everyone was saying who will make up his metres? We came out and as a team had one of our highest metre games of the years.

Payne Haas has plenty of issues which broncos should be able to coach out. His defence is probably close to the worst in the league. Our middle has been the biggest issue this year and he has been the constant. He is the worst front rower in the league in moving off the line and hitting. He actually moves backwards and absorbs contact then up and hit. No surprise we had our best game the week he wasn't playing.

In attack he is extremely athletic but he slows the team momentum with slow post contact metres. The good teams are very fast from contact to the play the ball - post contact metres are a hindrance unless tied to a line break.

Front rowers need to play to a simple system. I would rather two 40 minute stints of Kennedy following systemic play than 80 minutes of current Haas.

When Haas was out everyone was saying who will make up his metres? We came out and as a team had one of our highest metre games of the years.

Still don't see the relevance of singling out Haas. EVERYONE in this side has plenty of issues which must be coached out. Our middle is a particular problem because our games plans are obsessed with it, turning it back inside constantly and failing to pass the ball wide and mobilising our edges and backs. Our PTB's have been competitive with every side we played. It's getting the ball out, and doing something with it, other than turning it constantly inside that's the major issue, and thus, in large part, we expect our forwards to perform miracles and, when they understandably fail with all that pressure on them, we single them out. In many cases, that is justified - standing flat and not running onto the ball. However, that is just part of that shitty game plan which is obsessed with the middle.

Defence? Deficiencies here apply to almost everyone, including Haas. Singling him out is for mine, missing the point. It's a systemic problem, and Haas is a victim of that as much as anyone else. We are always defending on the back foot, everyone is moving backwards in defence, not just Haas. Yes, he has some problems, but no more or less than everyone in this side.

You say "In attack ... he slows the team momentum with slow post contact metres. The good teams are very fast from contact to the play the ball - post contact metres are a hindrance unless tied to a line break." Well, what's that got to do with Haas, when it's a question of, as you rightly say, the best TEAMS do something with ball after it is played. Am I missing something here? His PTB speeds are comparable, most of the time, to any forward in our oppositions.

Sorry, again, this thread is meaningless. It's not Haas, it's the coaching, or rather, the lack of any quality therein.

Last edited:
Still don't see the relevance of singling out Haas. EVERYONE in this side has plenty of issues which must be coached out. Our middle is a particular problem because our games plans are obsessed with it, turning it back inside constantly and failing to pass the ball wide and mobilising our edges and backs. Our PTB's have been competitive with every side we played. It's getting the ball out, and doing something with it, other than turning it constantly inside that's the major issue, and thus, in large part, we expect our forwards to perform miracles and, when they understandably fail with all that pressure on them, we single them out. In many cases, that is justified - standing flat and not running onto the ball. However, that is just part of that shitty game plan which is obsessed with the middle.

Defence? Deficiencies here apply to almost everyone, including Haas. Singling him out is for mine, missing the point. It's a systemic problem, and Haas is a victim of that as much as anyone else. We are always defending on the back foot, everyone is moving backwards in defence, not just Haas. Yes, he has some problems, but no more or less than everyone in this side.

You say "In attack ... he slows the team momentum with slow post contact metres. The good teams are very fast from contact to the play the ball - post contact metres are a hindrance unless tied to a line break." Well, what's that got to do with Haas, when it's a question of, as you rightly say, the best TEAMS do something with ball after it is played. Am I missing something here? His PTB speeds are comparable, most of the time, to any forward in our oppositions.

Sorry, again, this thread is meaningless. It's not Haas, it's the coaching, or rather, the lack of any quality therein.

I agree.

Our gameplan needs to work to the strength of our large powerful forwards.

We need Lodge, Tevita, Haas rumbling straight up the field. Carrigan can fill in for a run wherever and maybe look to incorporate a Corey Parker offload ability into his game.

Just play the simple power game and then spread it wide to players like Staggs.

In my opinion Riki is the perfect replacement on the edge for Fifita. He'll be one of our biggest weapons in the upcoming seasons.

I agree.

Our gameplan needs to work to the strength of our large powerful forwards.

We need Lodge, Tevita, Haas rumbling straight up the field. Carrigan can fill in for a run wherever and maybe look to incorporate a Corey Parker offload ability into his game.

Just play the simple power game and then spread it wide to players like Staggs.

In my opinion Riki is the perfect replacement on the edge for Fifita. He'll be one of our biggest weapons in the upcoming seasons.

Patty is another victim of a shitty game plan, always running back into the middle, playing prop instead of lock. If he had a bit of a passing game and more offloads, and, ran towards the edges like a lock instead of a prop we would be a lot more effective.

Last edited:
Patty is another victim of a shitty game plan, always running back into the middle, playing prop instead of lock. If he had a bit of a passing game and more offloads, and, ran towards the edges like a lock instead of a prop we would be a lot more effective.

I think Corey Parker is someone he should definitely be aspiring to play like. I'd be very happy if he developed into that style of lock. Gotta remember though that Corey Parker was not made over night.

He has great athleticism and believe his deficiencies are coachable. This thread is about him though.
It is more import for a front rower to be moving up and hitting than other players. He literally tracks backwards off the line and embraces rather than forward contact.

His play the ball speed is similar but I believe thats from held call to ball played. It doesn't includes the dragged out post contact metres which allows the defence to reset.

He needs his minutes cut, he needs more aggression, he needs to be coached to catch at the advantage line and get to play the ball quickly and he needs to be taught to move up and hit in defence.

Active Now

• kman
  • Fatboy
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Painin the Haas
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Footy Fanatic
  • winslow_wong
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.