VOTE PAYNE HAAS IS BHQ Player of Round 5

Who is your player of the Round (Pick 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Too many reds under the bridge for my brain cells, but I'm sure Hunt stepped in for Locky during an injury phase.
Didn’t he also start the 2007 season as halfback with Hodges as the fullback?

They started experimenting with K in the halves back in the 2006 trials. He played the second trial there against the Cows and was OK that was the game where I believe Darius and Perry really pushed their cases as bolters.

Then after a pretty disappointing performance against St. Helens, Bennett went nuts with the Round 1 team with Hodges at fullback, Hunt at halfback, 19 year old Joel Moon at centre and Shane Perry was on the bench as a failsafe. Hunt scored two tries, but his defence was found wanting in a frustrating performance. Brisbane trailed 18-4, drew level but just blew their chances with the JT-Bowen combination stealing the show.

Lockyer picked up an injury, so Hunt remained in the halves against the Warriors. That was another frustrating game where Brisbane were the better team for the majority of the game, but the Warriors scored three tries right before half-time and they just had no strike. The highlight of Hunt's performance was a great shot he put on Ruben Wiki.

That was the end of the experiment until Mal revived it. Again, Hunt's defence was the highlight putting some big hits on but Queensland really struggled for cohesion as the Blues bullied Slater out of the game. Mal shifted K back there for the early exchanges and then brought Billy on when the game opened up. It was a masterstroke, so the Blues tried to do the same with Kurt Gidley/Brett Stewart but it ended up backfiring. They were far more effective with Gidley back there since he was the primary playmaker. When Stewart came on, NSW kept turning it back in for Gallen who plodded up the field and got his papers stamped as a result.

Then in 2009 while Brisbane were going through a horror run, Henjak had the bright idea to keep Hoffman at fullback and try K as a 7 while Wallace was out injured. The end result? 56-0 in one of the darkest days in club history. Canberra just tore Brisbane apart on the edges repeatedly, it was a horror show with Michaels and Copley in particular having horror nights.

I don't understand the fascination with Hunt as a 6. Maybe he would have got there eventually but he was 0-4 during his prime years. These moves never seem to work out, Te'o hasn't made a difference and the most memorable thing I recall TC doing was his unfortunate collision with De Las Haras. If he's killing it for the Magpies then sure, but based on what we know so far it seems like a waste.

They started experimenting with K in the halves back in the 2006 trials. He played the second trial there against the Cows and was OK that was the game where I believe Darius and Perry really pushed their cases as bolters.

Then after a pretty disappointing performance against St. Helens, Bennett went nuts with the Round 1 team with Hodges at fullback, Hunt at halfback, 19 year old Joel Moon at centre and Shane Perry was on the bench as a failsafe. Hunt scored two tries, but his defence was found wanting in a frustrating performance. Brisbane trailed 18-4, drew level but just blew their chances with the JT-Bowen combination stealing the show.

Lockyer picked up an injury, so Hunt remained in the halves against the Warriors. That was another frustrating game where Brisbane were the better team for the majority of the game, but the Warriors scored three tries right before half-time and they just had no strike. The highlight of Hunt's performance was a great shot he put on Ruben Wiki.

That was the end of the experiment until Mal revived it. Again, Hunt's defence was the highlight putting some big hits on but Queensland really struggled for cohesion as the Blues bullied Slater out of the game. Mal shifted K back there for the early exchanges and then brought Billy on when the game opened up. It was a masterstroke, so the Blues tried to do the same with Kurt Gidley/Brett Stewart but it ended up backfiring. They were far more effective with Gidley back there since he was the primary playmaker. When Stewart came on, NSW kept turning it back in for Gallen who plodded up the field and got his papers stamped as a result.

Then in 2009 while Brisbane were going through a horror run, Henjak had the bright idea to keep Hoffman at fullback and try K as a 7 while Wallace was out injured. The end result? 56-0 in one of the darkest days in club history. Canberra just tore Brisbane apart on the edges repeatedly, it was a horror show with Michaels and Copley in particular having horror nights.

I don't understand the fascination with Hunt as a 6. Maybe he would have got there eventually but he was 0-4 during his prime years. These moves never seem to work out, Te'o hasn't made a difference and the most memorable thing I recall TC doing was his unfortunate collision with De Las Haras. If he's killing it for the Magpies then sure, but based on what we know so far it seems like a waste.
Wow, you sure you're not David Middleton?
Not sold on KHunt too, would rather Kelly in for Dearden and the kid back to ISC for further development as he is simply not ready at this level.

Wow surely that’s not from memory? If it is then I’m grateful for the summary and really impressed with your memory recall. Do you keep reports on every game you watch?

Nice post @Big Pete and it really is sad that 56-0 (or floggings in general) used to be an absolute rarity. Now we go into every game hoping it won’t happen but sort of expecting it to.

Quite some revisionist history there, Pete. Hunt never fell. I watched him play at high school at couple of times, and saw his debut live.

He was 17, fresh out of high school, where he played rugby inside centre in his final year, but had played other positions - including fullback - earlier, plus other codes. The Broncos had a gaping hole in the halves, left by the departure of Walters and Langer, one that was still causing massive frustration to Bennett. That Hunt, out of his comfort zone, was even trialled in the halves was a testament to his skill level at 17 years old. No one expected him to debut round one.

In fact, this was the game that Darren Lockyer switched to five-eighth, partnering Brett Seymour at halfback, and an injury carrying Motu Tony was listed to cover fullback. But Hunt, who himself was carrying a wrist injury, was elevated to start at the last minute, and Tony was dropped to the bench. The rest is actual history. The Broncos never looked back.

During Hunt's tenure at the Broncos, a persistent narrative revolved around Hunt ultimately replacing Lockyer at 6, but Hunt left in 2009 before Lockyer retired in 2011. I have no doubt Hunt would've made an excellent five-eighth and captain.

For those of you who imagine he's some kind of dunny sex drug dealer. He's now a father of three. A lot of water has passed under that bridge.

Quite some revisionist history there, Pete. Hunt never fell. I watched him play at high school at couple of times, and saw his debut live.

He was 17, fresh out of high school, where he played rugby inside centre in his final year, but had played other positions - including fullback - earlier, plus other codes. The Broncos had a gaping hole in the halves, left by the departure of Walters and Langer, one that was still causing massive frustration to Bennett. That Hunt, out of his comfort zone, was even trialled in the halves was a testament to his skill level at 17 years old. No one expected him to debut round one.

In fact, this was the game that Darren Lockyer switched to five-eighth, partnering Brett Seymour at halfback, and an injury carrying Motu Tony was listed to cover fullback. But Hunt, who himself was carrying a wrist injury, was elevated to start at the last minute, and Tony was dropped to the bench. The rest is actual history. The Broncos never looked back.

During Hunt's tenure at the Broncos, a persistent narrative revolved around Hunt ultimately replacing Lockyer at 6, but Hunt left in 2009 before Lockyer retired in 2011. I have no doubt Hunt would've made an excellent five-eighth and captain.

For those of you who imagine he's some kind of dunny sex drug dealer. He's now a father of three. A lot of water has passed under that bridge.
Not just an excellent five-eight & captain of the Broncos, but of QLD & Australia. He WAS that good.

Wow surely that’s not from memory? If it is then I’m grateful for the summary and really impressed with your memory recall. Do you keep reports on every game you watch?
I think it's just because I got really into the NRL around the mid-00s. I was fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder and I used to volunteer over on LU as a mod so Hunt at 7 sticks out to me, especially since the fans were so desperate for an Alfie replacement. 15 years on and nothing has changed.

What part of it was revisionary?

What part of it was revisionary?
Sorry to nitpick you mate, but here is the scorecard of Hunt's debut. He played fullback, not halfback, and the Warriors didn't score three tries right before half time:

My memory's a bit spotty too, but I remember being both excited and surprised to see him in a Broncos jersey. I don't recall much disappointment in his trials performance given it was a trial and he was fresh out of high school. Being a union player, I don't think anyone expected his defence to be perfect straight out of the box. If anything, the surprise was how tough he was at the back gate.

Sorry to nitpick you mate, but here is the scorecard of Hunt's debut. He played fullback, not halfback, and the Warriors didn't score three tries right before half time:

My memory's a bit spotty too, but I remember being both excited and surprised to see him in a Broncos jersey. I don't recall much disappointment in his trials performance given it was a trial and he was fresh out of high school. Being a union player, I don't think anyone expected his defence to be perfect straight out of the box. If anything, the surprise was how tough he was at the back gate.
I was referring specifically to the experiment in the halves, which as I said was experimented with in the 2006 trials before Bennett put it into motion after a disappointing WCC performance against St Helens.

I was referring specifically to the experiment in the halves, which as I said was experimented with in the 2006 trials before Bennett put it into motion after a disappointing WCC performance against St Helens.
Sorry, which part of this are you referring to?

"Lockyer picked up an injury, so Hunt remained in the halves against the Warriors. That was another frustrating game where Brisbane were the better team for the majority of the game, but the Warriors scored three tries right before half-time and they just had no strike. The highlight of Hunt's performance was a great shot he put on Ruben Wiki."

Sorry, which part of this are you referring to?

"Lockyer picked up an injury, so Hunt remained in the halves against the Warriors. That was another frustrating game where Brisbane were the better team for the majority of the game, but the Warriors scored three tries right before half-time and they just had no strike. The highlight of Hunt's performance was a great shot he put on Ruben Wiki."
Re-read the first three passages, there's your context.

Re-read the first three passages, there's your context.
Sorry, you're right. You're talking about 2006. I mistook you talking about 2004 because you talked about the Warriors round one. But we didn't play the Warriors in round one in 2006, or the Cowboys in the trials.

In 2007, we played the Cowboys round one, and the Warriors round two. That's what you're talking about:

Sorry, you're right. You're talking about 2006. I mistook you talking about 2004 because you talked about the Warriors round one. But we didn't play the Warriors in round one in 2006, or the Cowboys in the trials.

In 2007, we played the Cowboys round one, and the Warriors round two. That's what you're talking about:

Go back and read what I wrote, I specifically mentioned the WCC match against St Helens and how disappointing they were. As a result, Bennett changed up the team for Round 1 but as I wrote JT & Bowen stole the show. Lockyer picked up an injury and missed out on the following game against the Warriors.

Go back and read what I wrote, I specifically mentioned the WCC match against St Helens and how disappointing they were. As a result, Bennett changed up the team for Round 1 but as I wrote JT & Bowen stole the show. Lockyer picked up an injury and missed out on the following game against the Warriors.
I was at that WCC game. 🤬 it was cold, the beer was shit & we lost!

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fitzy
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Johnny92
  • ezpz
  • Mustafur
  • broncs30
  • Dony Eliakim
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.