NEWS Payne Haas retracts immediate release from Broncos then

Funniest thing will be if he ends up a dolphin playing for the bloke who signed him on unders for in the first place.

He’s lost the trust of the club, he shouldn’t be able to play for us until he earns it back, if he can’t he can play the next 2.5 years in qcup.

Unacceptable if true. Time the NRL stood for something and said enough.

Imagine this even happening in the AFL? What mickey mouse comp do we have here.

Whoever chose that pic of him in the blues jersey on the main page.

Nice.

This was always going to happen with Haas, it's just come sooner than what most were expecting.

This is a good thing for the Broncos in the long term. I feel like the Haas contract is pretty much the last of our whacked salary cap position gone now that we have gotten rid of the ludicrous contracts that were handed out in the White era. Our cap will look so much better with Haas off the books. I rate the guy but not $1M rate.......

Looking more and more likely that Payne will be on a plane at 8pm Friday

Ipswich Jets?

I just wish these grubs would be honest from the get go. If its all about money, which he has basically said anyway, then be clear. If he doesnt think we can challenge and want to go to a ( supposed ) better club, then come out and say it.

Maybe the winning streak has thrown a spanner in the works - I imagine it would've been an easier convo if we were still in the bottom half of the ladder, but now our stock is rising perhaps his management have said you can't wait any longer, only going to look worse from here...

Pretty disappointed, but not from a perspective where I think this will ruin our rebuild.

This move, along with the Fifita and Coates departures, are disappointing because these are young guys who debuted with us. They made origin with us.

You develop a romanticized view of Rugby League where you think the club means as much to us as it does to them. But it doesn't. To a large extent fair enough - this is their livelihood so of course they're going to be thinking about their future, but when you have 3 star players in the space of 3 years leave it's hard for it not to dent your love of the game a little.

I'm with those who say release him but only in exchange for someone we want. $750k of cap space is only worth something if we can use it on a quality player.

There you go.

Come one, no one actually believes this do they?! James is just stirring the pot.

In saying that, I cannot believe Haas and his management believe he's worth $1 - $1.2m a season. Fifita turned out to be a dud for the Titans (so far) but at least his upside was that when he's on it he is a game changer, without a doubt. Can score 3 tries a game. Haas does not have that capability.

What team is going to try and fit him in to the cap? He's definitely been led astray and it is sad to see. He'll be worse off getting paid a million + in Sydney with the price of real estate. I don't know if Bennett will want to pay Haas that much either.

Makes no fucking sense.

What price the brand damage this is causing the club? Wonder if that'll be part of the settlement to transfer.

Would've been nicer to have him post and say "All lies" instead of "GONNA DO MY BEST FOR THE BOIS". If you were doing you're best, you wouldn't have delivered them a pineapple a day before the game.

What price the brand damage this is causing the club? Wonder if that'll be part of the settlement to transfer.

Would've been nicer to have him post and say "All lies" instead of "GONNA DO MY BEST FOR THE BOIS". If you were doing you're best, you wouldn't have delivered them a pineapple a day before the game.
Yeah the timing is seriously shitty. Not just mid season, but the day before a game and the week before a bye round which would’ve given the team a fortnight to adjust + likely had their captain back.

Reported in this article he asked for 1 mil for 23 and 1.2 mil for 24.

If that is the case, no wonder the broncos said no. And I back them on that. No prop is worth that much.
No club who's making the 8 is paying that much for Payne Haas.

Heck, even the dogs - Gus has openly said several times, you don't pay forwards that much - they don't win you games.

Similar for Bennett.

GC are enjoying their salary cap poison pill right now by wasting that kind of cash on Fifi.

Tigers might be crazy enough - don't expect finals footy there.

Knights have their own problems with Ponga on insane money.

It's gotta be Roosters and it's gotta be for a shady as **** deal.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.